Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on board conflict

Default Re: Thoughts on Felder discussions

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    The (much) younger generation has gotten accustomed to communicating via the written word, texting, social media, etc. People like me are more accustomed to talking on the phone or actually speaking to someone in the same room. The things I rely on, tone of voice, facial expressions, body language, is all missing and emoticons are a poor substitute. I'm 'old fashioned' enough that I've never found a snarky comment followed by 'lmao', 'lol', or a smiley to be funny.

It's a good reminder, though, that even when you type something in meaning it in the best possible way, someone else can read it entirely differently. Maybe I'll start re-reading my posts before hitting Submit!
    VA, I too am old school and here on the board, we do not have the face to face communication & tone of voice to rely on. I think sometimes things that are really not intended to be harsh, may come off that way to other people, depending on who is reading it & their interpretion of the wording. We are also all from different parts of the country & even different parts of the world, so maybe what seems ok to some, may not be okay to others here.

I do hope that we can get to the point where things aren't taken out of context....We are all here for our mutual love of the Eagles, & we each have our favorites, so we may have a different view on certain issues. I do think we can work on it....

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

We are definitely here for our mutual love of our guys. We have a lot of other great topics that get a lot of discussion, even the weather, but the guys are the glue that holds us together! I guess we all need to be a bit more cognizant when writing a post that there are a lot of interpretations that can be put on the written word.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

GROUP HUG!!!!!

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's difficult. I certainly don't want people to be upset and feel they have to "step away" but what's the solution? Issuing warnings and strikes to people whenever they are rude? Be rude four times and you're banned? I didn't think our community would want that type of administrative heavy-handedness but perhaps I was wrong.
    I agree, Soda. Each one of us can choose for ourselves how much of our time & the amount of our participation we want to give to the board.

I am old school as well, so I take I long time writing my posts to try to word them so I don't offend anyone. As a result I don't post that much & most of my posts are short. However, I agree that because we are from places all over the globe & have different frames of reference we interpret messages in different ways. Even the most carefully worded post could still be considered offensive to some.

So, hopefully we will all try our best not to offend & just enjoy the board for the purpose for which it was created.

In making this post I hope that I have been successful in not offending anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, TBF. I find that I have had to "step away" as well lately, mainly by visiting less often & refraining from getting involved in certain topics on various threads. Hopefully this thread will "clear the air" & we will get back to "normal" (without so much conflict with members discussing topics in a more congenial way, respecting each others point of view). Afterall, the purpose of this board is to celebrate our favourite band.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    <snip>...
    So, hopefully we will all try our best not to offend & just enjoy the board for the purpose for which it was created.

In making this post I hope that I have been successful in not offending anyone.
    +1

I will also take a cue from VK and reread my posts before hitting submit...starting now...

Edited to say: I need to check for spelling as well as perceived intent...yeesh

I typically don't visit this forum but I saw the Felder title and thought I might need to throw my two cents in, only to see we're not really talking about Felder which perhaps is for the best as maybe there are people who would say I have been rude to them when I was defending Don ~ Don Henley, that is ~ even though I didn't mean to be.

Anyway I know I'm new but to me this place is mellow compared to some other boards I have been a member of. I've been to places where there is constant negativity, when there is any activity at all, and the administrators played favorites so much that even if you were their friend you couldn't help but notice how bad it was. I don't see that here.

I hate it when admins start coming down on people, issuing strikes and deleting people all over the place, because everyone starts to feel like if they make a wrong move they'll be next. I understand there are people who have to be banned if they are really bad but being banned if someone complains about you being rude... well I know one board I used to be on pretty much died after the admins got a reputation for banning people they didn't like.

From my short time posting here only two people have been rude to me and the rest have been very nice. Those are good odds.
    ~Sara

I don't think, nor have I personally seen, anything or anyone that needed reprimanded by admins (doesn't mean it doesn't exist). My comments were based on my reactions when reading certain threads that did contain bickering and I would think to myself "good grief! I can't imagine approaching someone in that manner." As I said, most of the times I just sat back and quietly laughed, because it seemed so funny. I started cracking random jokes about not wanting people to holler at me that way, or not wanting people to jump down my throat, but they were just that... light-hearted jokes.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best forum I've ever been on! And I haven't met anyone here that I don't like or can't get along with. And if you have enough conversations with the others, you find out you have lots more in common besides an all out love for the Eagles, and I love discovering those things.

Cheers!!!

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    I hate it when admins start coming down on people, issuing strikes and deleting people all over the place, because everyone starts to feel like if they make a wrong move they'll be next. I understand there are people who have to be banned if they are really bad but being banned if someone complains about you being rude... well I know one board I used to be on pretty much died after the admins got a reputation for banning people they didn't like.
    Which was exactly my point on why I feel more comfortable at this board than the "other" one I mentioned...and it was the "nicer" of all that band's boards, trust me...

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    From my short time posting here only two people have been rude to me and the rest have been very nice. Those are good odds.
    I feel the same and I hope I didn't contribute. We all step on each others toes once in a while...but I hope that becomes a really rare occurrence.