Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on board conflict

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts on Felder discussions

i agree with VA
    1) none of them were perfect or blameless in any of it
    2) They are still the best band ever.

I think JMo that what went on with those guys we will never hear the whole thing. It is what it is...
    Its not for me to take sides or stick up for anyone....cause I dont think anyone is trying to take away the talent that each and every member brings/brought to the table.
    It si for me just to enjoy thes guys and look back in found memeory that they have been the sound track of my life..
    god bless ...the boys

Totally agree too on both accounts!

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Border Rebel

Being a relative newbie, I did notice that there were
    some...er...disagreements on the board. I belong to two other message boards, and while they've had little spats here and there, for the most part, they're a little less confrontational. (I think,anyway . As I, said I'm a newbie so these are just my first impressions.) I was thinking about it the other day, and sort of thought, "Well, it's kind of funny because the Eagles have certainly had their problems getting along." So the board is in some ways a little like the band in that respect. LOL.

And it's also very true that the things we love are the ones we have the strongest feelings about! But all that being said, I do agree with the move toward respecting each other in our disagreements. Hopefully, we can all agree to disagree in certain areas, and still end up liking each other!

Just my two cents!!!

Very nice post LP and I agree with you. I also agree with VA about the fact we haven't heard the other side to it. I'm hoping maybe in Part 2 of the upcoming doc that we may get more insight into what took place from BOTH sides.

I love Don Felder a LOT for his guitar playing and for his musical contributions to the band. I also think the dynamic between him and Joe Walsh was something special and I miss it dearly. I'm not taking anything away from Bernie Leadon or Steuart Smith, but I believe that duo really is the iconic duo of the band. Comparable to many other band duos (Perry/Whitford, Angus/Malcolm, etc etc etc).

I don't know anything about Don's personality as I've never met him but in guitar-related interviews he's always come across humble to me anyway.

I'd love for DF to play again with the Eagles even if only for HC, but I don't even look for that to happen with what I'm hearing with interviews and such. I guess I've always got my bootlegs and the upcoming 8 songs on the documentary DVD.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Oh dear...my take on this...the same thing I tell my students when they ask me my favorite class/student/etc..."I love everybody. I don't always love the things you do."

Going on TT's points:
    1) There were no saints in this band and there will never be. Not even my 2 obvious favorites. The band history is what it is and can't be changed...only explained, I suppose. I just still want to say "can't y'all just get along for more than the RRHOF show??"

2) As we say in my neck of the woods...DALE YEAH!!

My previous experience on a board for "another" band...one of the co-admins had her favorite. Don't even think anything the slightest bit derogatory about "P", she'll ban you and talk about you like a dog in the "secret threads"...don't even insinuate his voice has changed over the last 10 years...
    There were also lots of bombardment with "I refuse to listen to this band as long as P and A aren't involved, the rest are fakes!" I don't feel like any of these attitudes like that exist here and of that I'm soooo glad!!

I mostly wanted to point out that it IS possible to have differing opinions BUT still be able to carry out debate in a civil and friendly manner, and that's why I singled out my chat with VA. I don't think anyone here hates another member or is trying to be mean, but we all agree some threads 'sound' that way, whether intended or not. Generally, I am laughing at them, but that's because I'm not that kind of person and I wonder why people get so heated about things they can't change (like someone else's opinion!).

This was intended as more of a praise for VA than a diss to anyone involved in arguments.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Well stated my friend!

Might I suggest that this thread be mandatory reading for every member of this board?

Seriously tho, It seems to have gotten a bit worse the last several months. I don't remember it ever being quite as "heated" several years ago. For the most part I attempt to ignore the ones that seem to get so heated and stay clear of them but unfortunately, a few month ago, I found myself responding to what I took as someone being attacked for absolutely no reason other than stating their opinion. It wasn't what they were stating (I actually had agreed with what they were saying in the past) but that they were doing it so harshly.... It wasn't what they were saying so much as the way they were saying it and I pulled myself into that discussion & said how I felt then realized I might of been a bit harsh the way I stated my opinion and apologized to who I felt I might of offended. I received several messages from other board members thanking me for standing up and a few messages from others that believed I shouldn't have done it. I will stick by what I said because it hadn't been the first time I had seen it happen & I know I didn't score points with a few people here but I was sick of seeing this. That being said, I stepped away for a week or so from the board and didn't even touch it because I thought it was so crazy to get upset about a message board for goodness sake. I don't have time or the patience for that and I try to remember some people just seem to thrive on causing controversy. I had a long talk with Soda regarding the situation and told her how I was feeling and apologized to her for any added problems I may have caused by getting emotional about it. Also told her that I wouldn't want to be her and trying to keep control of some of those situations.

I will never walk away from this board for any reason but there are times I feel it's good to step back, take a deep breath and get a bit of perspective of what it's all about--our universal love of the Eagles! That we can agree on.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Well stated my friend!

Might I suggest that this thread be mandatory reading for every member of this board?

Seriously tho, It seems to have gotten a bit worse the last several months. I don't remember it ever being quite as "heated" several years ago. For the most part I attempt to ignore the ones that seem to get so heated and stay clear of them but unfortunately, a few month ago, I found myself responding to what I took as someone being attacked for absolutely no reason other than stating their opinion. It wasn't what they were stating (I actually had agreed with what they were saying in the past) but that they were doing it so harshly.... It wasn't what they were saying so much as the way they were saying it and I pulled myself into that discussion & said how I felt then realized I might of been a bit harsh the way I stated my opinion and apologized to who I felt I might of offended. I received several messages from other board members thanking me for standing up and a few messages from others that believed I shouldn't have done it. I will stick by what I said because it hadn't been the first time I had seen it happen & I know I didn't score points with a few people here but I was sick of seeing this. That being said, I stepped away for a week or so from the board and didn't even touch it because I thought it was so crazy to get upset about a message board for goodness sake. I don't have time or the patience for that and I try to remember some people just seem to thrive on causing controversy. I had a long talk with Soda regarding the situation and told her how I was feeling and apologized to her for any added problems I may have caused by getting emotional about it. Also told her that I wouldn't want to be her and trying to keep control of some of those situations.

I will never walk away from this board for any reason but there are times I feel it's good to step back, take a deep breath and get a bit of perspective of what it's all about--our universal love of the Eagles! That we can agree on.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, TBF. I find that I have had to "step away" as well lately, mainly by visiting less often & refraining from getting involved in certain topics on various threads. Hopefully this thread will "clear the air" & we will get back to "normal" (without so much conflict with members discussing topics in a more congenial way, respecting each others point of view). Afterall, the purpose of this board is to celebrate our favourite band.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

The (much) younger generation has gotten accustomed to communicating via the written word, texting, social media, etc. People like me are more accustomed to talking on the phone or actually speaking to someone in the same room. The things I rely on, tone of voice, facial expressions, body language, is all missing and emoticons are a poor substitute. I'm 'old fashioned' enough that I've never found a snarky comment followed by 'lmao', 'lol', or a smiley to be funny.

It's a good reminder, though, that even when you type something in meaning it in the best possible way, someone else can read it entirely differently. Maybe I'll start re-reading my posts before hitting Submit!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

It's difficult. I certainly don't want people to be upset and feel they have to "step away" but what's the solution? Issuing warnings and strikes to people whenever they are rude? Be rude four times and you're banned? I didn't think our community would want that type of administrative heavy-handedness but perhaps I was wrong.

Another difficulty is that I come from a different background than many of you; I've been posting on conflict-ridden message boards since the nineties and as such I have a pretty thick skin. What I consider extreme behavior on a message board may not be the same as what you do. It's a problem.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten