Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: London 2012 Logo

Welcome Back Toonlass!

In terms of the government giving money only to sports that they have a chance to succed in; that does seem to be a bit counterproductive. I would think the smartest thing for the British government to do, would be to give a bit of money to the medal contention sports ( to keep them from screaming foul ) and a larger amount of the money to the lesser known/played sports.

Welcome back Toonlass!

If only there were enough money for all the sports! I guess that the government figures it's good for the country's morale if Britain maximizes its chances to win as many medals as possible. However, that's a pretty self-serving reason when there are many underfunded sports who need some more money directed their way.

That idea about taking a long holiday sounds like a good one, if they can get the time off work and get enough money for renting their house to pay for it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Welcome back Toonlass!
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Stuck on the Border

Why aye Toon.

I wanted to mention that the Olympics can in fact be fun. Sydney was a blast. The whole city came together and it went like clockwork. I was privileged enough to go to the first night of the swimming where I saw four world records broken and Ian Thorpe winning three gold medals, and also to the gold medal football game between Spain & Cameroon. Those of you in England who are thinking of it, don't miss the chance, because it's probably once in a lifetime. My next goal is the World Cup. Yeah, right.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

You make an excellent point here, FP. The Olympics definately may be sticking around for.

And hey Toonie - glad you popped in. Hope all is well with you and your family.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Hello, hello!!!

In a way I am looking forward to the Olympics coming to town, but I can't help wonder whether the structures put in place now for improving sport and training will continue to have money put into them after the Olympics leaves. I know its not something you can be definite about, but some sort of reassurance would be nice.

Also, it would be nice to have some more sport played in schools over here and more encouragement to be active. However this seems to have gone out the window in London, where children under the age of 16 travel on buses for free. This means kids are getting on the bus to go one stop down the road. Doesn't really seem right somehow, especially not with obesity rates rising in the under-16s as well as the general population.

Everything is well here, I had two of my wisdom teeth out last week and still haven't quite got back to eating all my normal foods, no steaks or anything yet

Bad luck about the tooth extractions, Toon, but at least it's done now.

Actually, although the Millenium Dome was a complete fiasco, some of the newer developments in London have been more interesting, and there is potential for some exciting projects. My visits to London are usually limited to visiting the in-laws in the outskirts in Kent, but the last couple of times I've been into the centre I've been impressed by how much smarter it is than when I lived there for seven years as a student. I had a meeting in March near Tower Bridge, which looked stunning floodlit at night, and I was really impressed by the wharfside development south of the river. And we finally managed to get the Wembley Stadium open. My son is going to see Muse in concert there this weekend. (Takes me back to Wembley Arena this time last year...)

Back to the Olympics, there are plans to build a velodrome in Taunton in Somerset, which is only an hour's drive from us.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

It's dreadful. I had hoped that Lord Coe or the organising committee or whomever is in charge would scrap it due to the amount of negative reaction they've received, but it seems it's here to stay, even if it does look like something a child cobbled together at playgroup.