Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

I'm back . . . . . Again.
    Geez. It's like I can't win. I get electric and heat back after 7 days and then I lose internet and phones. Then a NorEaster hits and we get 7" of snow.
    Again, I really shoudn't complain. I've got so much to be thankful for.
    I just spent another day in Breezy Point and OMG it's a horror show. It's like watching the walking wounded that have no where to go. There's no water, no electric and what looks like no hope in anyone's eyes. 2800 hundred homes and minimally 10,000 people displaced -- But then there are the volunteers. It was so very humbling. People from all across the Country. I've met people from Texas -- Dallas, specifically, Missouri, Arkansas, California -- and on and on and on. Students from Loyola and 20 other Universities, Marines, National Guard Members -- literally overwhelming support and love. These people are in the trenches -- carrying the debris of what is left to the "community pile". It's overwhelming.

And then there are the Firemen. They are everywhere you look-- all on their own time and dime. Hundreds of them -- literally. Thank God they're there to help. It seems insurmountable, but then you look at the FDNY response and presence and you think -- It's gonna be OK. Those men are AWESOME. They are single minded in that they won't stop -- they will not stop -- till the job is done. I'm so thankful that they are on my team. They blew through ripping out the guts of three of my relatives homes, then were going on to some 9/11 Widows homes who were left relatively homeless. Enough said -- they are hard-ass heroes. They have my never ending, heartfelt gratitude. THOSE BOYS ROCK!!!
    Last edited by Henley Honey; 11-23-2012 at 06:34 PM.