Page 22 of 303 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that remind you of the Eagles (5/07 - 10/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    From memory he was 'intoxicated in a public place'.
    I'm sorry, but by today's "standards", that is hilarious!

I was walking home from work two days ago, when I saw a truck parked in front of my house. On the doors at the back of the truck, I saw what appeared to read "The Allnighter", in exactly the same typeface as on Glenn's album. I still had 50m or so to cover before I got up close to the truck, but at that point I couldn't believe my eyes. As I got closer, I saw it was a "removals" truck, and I thought, "Oh, how appropriate, an 'allnighter' removals company". Upon closer inspection, however, I saw that it actually read "The Alugutter". They were in fact an aluminium guttering company!

Now am I sad, or what?

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Haha, Mrs. F. Now you are even seeing things that aren't there!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well I suppose intoxication involves a drug called 'alcohol'
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    I'm sorry, but by today's "standards", that is hilarious!
    Actually, if he just spent a few hours at the police station, he's lucky. These days, the police don't want to put up with with intoxicated people "sleeping it off" or waiting for someone who will assume responsibility for them to come pick them up from the station -public intoxication will probably earn you an overnight stay in a behavioral health unit in their detox area, alcohol counseling, etc. Not to mention the legal ramifications that are probably still hanging over your head.

Much more traumatic, IMO.

Molly, it seems the standards in the USA are a lot higher than they are in my part of the world! I see intoxicated, homeless people roaming the streets on almost a daily basis, and people pretty much just ignore them. It's very sad, but taking the above into account, I just found it absurd that Glenn got busted for something like that. There are far worse acts that go unpunished these days - people commit murder and go free because they can afford the best lawyers.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border

Mrs. F, we have more than our share of homeless people in this country, and you are right, many of them have alcohol or mental problems. It's a shameful and sad problem for any country to have.

I agree with you that there are certainly a lot worse things a person could get in trouble for than public intoxication -I was only saying that back in the day when Glenn had his run-in -he probably got off easier than he would today. I've always wondered why he didn't get off simply with a warning, he looks pretty belligerent in his mug shot-do you think his mouth or attitude actually got him in trouble? (Can't you just picture Eagles management scurrying around and doing damage control, trying to get him the heck out of jail!) He probably spent very little time (and of course, I'm guessing here) actually in police custody. When you think about all the terrible things that could have happened with all those years of partying and drug use -I think Glenn must have a guardian angel looking over him.

These days, in this country, tolerance for public inebriation is very low. The police used to just toss you in a cell area (called the drunk tank) and let a person sleep it off (I have a brother who can tell you what that experience was like back around the same time Glenn had his problem ). !

I guess my point was, Glenn's probably fortunate that that happened to him 30 plus years ago when attitudes were very different than they are today. My husband and I come from partying backgrounds and yet we preach to our children constantly not to do the same things we did since the consequences of these actions are so much more serious than they were when we were their age.

Bet ya that Glenn says a lot of "Do what I say, not what I did!" to his kids!

Oh gosh, Molly, does that ring a bell. My youngest is on the point of taking his driving test, but when I think back to what I got away with... I just remind him of the sanctions placed on new drivers in the UK. I've also experienced the police bringing back an underaged teenager under the influence, and am very grateful they didn't lock him up, but did he get a talking to. It seems to be a commoner problem over here.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    I've always wondered why he didn't get off simply with a warning, he looks pretty belligerent in his mug shot-do you think his mouth or attitude actually got him in trouble?
    I think the charges included possession of marijuana, which upped the ante a bit.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I had to laugh at myself last night. At the risk of showing my age...I was watching "The Birds" on AMC last night when a commercial for "Cool Hand Luke" came on. (it's a movie about a convict and his escape) At one point in the clip they showed a bloodhound running after him and all I could think was "out there in that shiny night with bloodhounds on your mind..."

At least I restrained myself from bursting into song.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I saw Cool Hand Luke! Its Good! And your story is funny PLS!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP