Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles & YouTube etc

Default Re: Eagles & YouTube etc

Here's some food for thought.

In terms of black and white, if it is immoral for someone to post a video that contains copyrighted material, it is also immoral to encourage that behavior by watching the video.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

In terms of black and white, if it is immoral for someone to post a video that contains copyrighted material, it is also immoral to encourage that behavior by watching the video.
    Yep.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - I'm going to inject some 'gray' here. I don't necessarily considered every act that breaks a law to be immoral. That assumes that all laws are moral and I don't believe that to be the case. If that were the case, the American Revolution would have never happened - and that's just one example.

To bring this back to the YouTube and copyright violation issues - to me, it's a matter of respecting the artists' wishes. If they are okay with their intellectual property being posted, then it's not wrong. If they aren't okay with it, then it is wrong. For me, it's pretty simple - respect their wishes without passing judgment on them. Their reasons are their reasons.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

So are you saying you want me to delete the link to YouTube I posted to Glenn's forum yesterday?

I will do so if you wish but you will have to issue some sort of edict that you do not wish people to post YouTube links any more.

As to what I think about this, I have stayed out of this discussion and I will continue to do so. I will abide by the rules of this board if such a rule is introduced.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

ok,thats not how i wanna see a concert....

just enjoy the moment you are in at the time it is happening.....

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    So are you saying you want me to delete the link to YouTube I posted to Glenn's forum yesterday?

I will do so if you wish but you will have to issue some sort of edict that you do not wish people to post YouTube links any more.

As to what I think about this, I have stayed out of this discussion and I will continue to do so. I will abide by the rules of this board if such a rule is introduced.
    FP, I don't want to put words in Nancy's mouth but I think the point she was trying to get across is that if I believe it's wrong to post the videos (and I do) then I shouldn't post links to them (and she's right). I will say that when, on Facebook, I post links to videos, it's usually at the express wish of the artist to do so. Most of what I post are Christian music videos and their agenda is a little different and they want people to 'spread the Word'. But it's not always those kinds of requests and therefore I shouldn't do it since I feel it's wrong.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

As I've stated before, even if the laws are changed, it's a moral issue. The phrase 'other artists allow it' doesn't take away from the fact that it's wrong. I find it very sad that our society has degenerated to the point where Thou Shalt Not Steal has come to mean Thou Shalt Not Steal Unless Everyone Else Is Doing It Too.
    I have such a different take on this whole "morality & illegal" issue! This is FREE ADVERTISING & FREE PUBLICITY for an artist, & that is how most people see it, artists included. Most people aren't making ANY money off these videos at all. In fact the Eagles should be glad people still even want to see them after 40 years. The younger generation find out about them through video. They don't get that THEY are the ones that benefit from it....and I bet if they were a young band just starting out now, they would be happy to have people watch them on YouTube and they wouldn't be taking this so far.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    FP, I don't want to put words in Nancy's mouth but I think the point she was trying to get across is that if I believe it's wrong to post the videos (and I do) then I shouldn't post links to them (and she's right). I will say that when, on Facebook, I post links to videos, it's usually at the express wish of the artist to do so. Most of what I post are Christian music videos and their agenda is a little different and they want people to 'spread the Word'. But it's not always those kinds of requests and therefore I shouldn't do it since I feel it's wrong.
    The comment wasn't just directed at you, VA. There are many people who condemn others for putting up videos and question their morality, yet happily view and/or share those same videos. Like I said, it's food for thought.

If I instituted a policy forbidding linking to YouTube videos, I would be a big fat hypocrite... and that's not very moral, either.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Besides the rightness and wrongness of the issue, I don't get why some people video an entire concert. Maybe he was there because his wife pressured him into going, or friends, or whatever, but the guy who posted the HC video last week also posted at least five or six other videos from the same concert. He basically watched the entire concert through a lens and now all he has to remember the concert by is a poor quality (visual but especially audio) video recording. I can't imagine why he would pay that much money to get into a concert (not to mention brave those escalators!) and then do that instead of enjoying it. But perhaps he didn't really want to be there in the first place.
    The show was 20 songs, so if he videos 5 or 6 that is about 1/4 of the show, & taping just requires holding up the camera without looking through the lens. It's very easy to video these days which is why everyone does it. He was in the back anyway, not enjoying front row seats like US! Someone in the front even had the nerve to try to video! That, I would never do with the Eagles, but I did video both Joe & Tim's solo shows, but only about 2 or 3 songs. They did not say anything about NO video at these shows at all. If they did, I would not have videoed them.
    Seems several people on this board have posted his videos on FB? Yes

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

WOW!!! JUST WOW!!!!!

Some thoughts as I read this thread....

I also wanted to ask those that feel it's just wrong to do this since it's a violation, etc..., how often do you watch these videos and or repost them to this board or FB? Let's face it, everyone here has expressed how we can't wait to see pictures, we can't wait to see videos, etc... after a concert. Many of us scour YouTube as soon as there's been a show, trying to find them. Does that make all of us wrong in doing so?

Another thought I had regarding the legislation changes, attorneys being involved, etc.... How much time and money is being taken by these kind of things when, in my opinion, there are so many more important and pressing issues that should be taken care of by legislators. This subject seems a bit petty when you put it all into perspective. Again, just my opinion.

Another point I wish to make, I think a lot of this is HOW it's handled too. I have never put anything on YouTube but when Glenn or Don start berating the audience about recording, I actually start feeling guilty because I watch those and I know how they feel. It's one thing to see it on a ticket stub and think that maybe it's coming from someone other than the guys I love but when they do that, during a show, that's when I really have a problem with it. I don't know if I want to feel ashamed and cry because I might make Don unhappy or if I want to just stand up and scream, "get over yourself!". KWIM?
    He sings it high, he plays it low