Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles & YouTube etc

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles & YouTube etc

Here's what I don't get. People are attempting to do something illegal, they find they can't do the illegal thing. They spew vitriol at Don for it and we're supposed to take the side of the 'poor' person whose video was taken down?

My mother tried this tactic last year when she passed a policeman doing around 80 in a 65 mph speed zone on her way to my house. The entire weekend she ranted about how it was the policeman's fault. (She claims he kept going faster and all she wanted to do was get back in the right-hand lane). We had a big argument over it and it wasn't until the weekend was over and my brother talked to her about it that she finally understood that just maybe the policeman wasn't to blame. It had me seriously wondering about her mental stability.

I realize that the incident with my mother, while very sadly true, is different. She had to pay a fine and has points on her license. I'm still trying to figure out the impact the yanked videos have had.

As I've stated before, even if the laws are changed, it's a moral issue. The phrase 'other artists allow it' doesn't take away from the fact that it's wrong. I find it very sad that our society has degenerated to the point where Thou Shalt Not Steal has come to mean Thou Shalt Not Steal Unless Everyone Else Is Doing It Too.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, we all have our little vices. Mine just isn't posting illegal videos If I'm gonna do something wrong, it's gonna be a lot more exciting than that. I hope.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

The impact that the yanked videos has had is that it has upset their fans. The people who pay to go to the shows; the people who have put them where they are and funded their comfortable lifestyles.
    (It was reported that the Eagles netted $5.5 million dollars(to be shared between the 4 of them) from their LROOE Tour alone for the financial year 2008-09 - that's not including album sales. Not a bad annual salary!)

Yes, they have the law on their side(and I'm not in any way promoting anarchy) but isn't it being a bit churlish to evoke it under the circumstances?

The trouble with you and me is the trouble with this nation
    Too many blessings, too little appreciation
    (my Thanksgiving - Don Henley)

P.S. I'm putting my armoured vest on right now, 'cos I'm sure I'm going to receive some bullets about the above post.

I'll get off my soap box now. No offence to anyone intended. I just enjoy a lively discussion. The Eagles are by no means the only band that raise my heckles from time to time!

At the end of the day I still love the Eagles music & their live shows.

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    At the end of the day I still love the Eagles music & their live shows.
    Don't worry, Steph, I knew when I posted it that people would be unhappy with it! The only real point I was trying to make is that even when an artist lets it go and/or outright encourages it, what they are really saying is 'It's OK to steal from me.' If you realize that and go ahead, with their permission and do that, then it's a personal decision.

I have a strong belief in 'what goes around comes around', and it works on both sides of the issue. It could be that the Eagles could handle this better and even though they're in the right, how they handle being in the right is as important as how they would handle being in the wrong. I truly feel that for the most part, they feel they have the big name (due to the numbers you posted), they have the voice. Struggling artists can't stand up for themselves, and so they try to do it for them.

I did think about this earlier... Given what others have said about other artists allowing filming and encouraging it (although I've never experienced that), there was nothing on the ticket that said it couldn't be done. At the 9/02 event, security wasn't telling people as they walked in that they couldn't film. Most people came into the hall after the announcement that no one listens to anyway. A lot of people might not even realize that this is illegal, and a casual fan might not know the band's stance on the subject. Until Glenn said, "no filming" during Lyin' Eyes, people might not have realized it was an issue. Given that, I think it's important that when they request it, mid-concert, they need to be as pleasant about it as possible. And they should get their manager, who runs the company that issues the tickets, to put it on the ticket. So people know ahead of time the Eagles aren't one of those groups who say 'It's OK.'
    VK

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Don't worry, Steph, I knew when I posted it that people would be unhappy with it! The only real point I was trying to make is that even when an artist lets it go and/or outright encourages it, what they are really saying is 'It's OK to steal from me.' If you realize that and go ahead, with their permission and do that, then it's a personal decision.

I have a strong belief in 'what goes around comes around', and it works on both sides of the issue. It could be that the Eagles could handle this better and even though they're in the right, how they handle being in the right is as important as how they would handle being in the wrong. I truly feel that for the most part, they feel they have the big name (due to the numbers you posted), they have the voice. Struggling artists can't stand up for themselves, and so they try to do it for them.

I did think about this earlier... Given what others have said about other artists allowing filming and encouraging it (although I've never experienced that), there was nothing on the ticket that said it couldn't be done. At the 9/02 event, security wasn't telling people as they walked in that they couldn't film. Most people came into the hall after the announcement that no one listens to anyway. A lot of people might not even realize that this is illegal, and a casual fan might not know the band's stance on the subject. Until Glenn said, "no filming" during Lyin' Eyes, people might not have realized it was an issue. Given that, I think it's important that when they request it, mid-concert, they need to be as pleasant about it as possible. And they should get their manager, who runs the company that issues the tickets, to put it on the ticket. So people know ahead of time the Eagles aren't one of those groups who say 'It's OK.'
    funny , ha ha that you should mention that...
    I was looking at a eagles scrap book from 2008 LROOE tour, Saw them three times. NO RECORDING DEVICE OR CAMERAS ALLOWED ARE ON THOSE TICKET STUBS'. sOMEONE IN their managment , dropped the ball at the revel if they stiil feel the way they did in 2008

The Eagles are within their rights to take down the videos which contain songs where they hold the copyright (although not beyond that). However, as dreamer said elsewhere regarding another topic...

Just because they CAN do something doesn't mean they SHOULD.

In Texas, it is illegal to take more than three sips from a beer while standing. (No lie. That's a real law.) Bar owners would be perfectly within their rights to call the police on patrons who are doing so, and/or throw those patrons out and refuse to serve them ever again. And those patrons are in the wrong. It's sinful and immoral to break the law. These people are shamelessly disobeying the law and thereby contributing to societal degeneration and moral decay. However, if the bar owners called these people out, they'd wind up losing business and wouldn't be doing themselves any favors.

There's a reason why some artists encourage it, and it's not because they're OK with stealing. They're OK with it because they don't consider it stealing. Not everyone looks at this in black and white.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well I also enjoy a lively debate when it's done intelligently and respectfully as this one has been. On this issue, I totally agree with VA. I don't hate YouTube and I enjoy watching some videos that are posted on it. However, I believe it is totally up to the artists about whether or not they choose to use it and I totally respect whether they want their intellectual property posted on it. In the case of the Eagles, while they may have a few people hate on them for their choices, by and large, I don't think the huge majority of people care one way or another. I think a lot of artists' attitudes about YouTube and social networking is generational, but that doesn't make anyone right or wrong. I think it's a personal decision. I can relate to the way the band feels because I know how I feel about someone posting my picture on the internet. I'm just personally not jazzed about it - but, I certainly don't condemn them for posting their own pictures if they want.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Perhaps I'll just make one more post on this topic, which might explain better where I stand on this subject.

If we were talking about a multi-national organisation sending their staff into live shows, under the pretence of being fans, but specifically to take videos which would then be professionally mixed & packaged for sale then I would be standing right up there next to Don on this one. But if it's a few genuine fans taking a few poor quality videos, sorry Don but I can't really see what all the fuss is about.

BTW, I have never taken videos at the Eagles or anyone else's live shows and I never will, but I have downloaded a video from YouTube now & then.

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    BTW, I have never taken videos at the Eagles or anyone else's live shows and I never will, but I have downloaded a video from YouTube now & then.
    Besides the rightness and wrongness of the issue, I don't get why some people video an entire concert. Maybe he was there because his wife pressured him into going, or friends, or whatever, but the guy who posted the HC video last week also posted at least five or six other videos from the same concert. He basically watched the entire concert through a lens and now all he has to remember the concert by is a poor quality (visual but especially audio) video recording. I can't imagine why he would pay that much money to get into a concert (not to mention brave those escalators!) and then do that instead of enjoying it. But perhaps he didn't really want to be there in the first place.
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The Eagles are within their rights to take down the videos which contain songs where they hold the copyright (although not beyond that). However, as dreamer said elsewhere regarding another topic...

Just because they CAN do something doesn't mean they SHOULD.

In Texas, it is illegal to take more than three sips from a beer while standing. (No lie. That's a real law.) Bar owners would be perfectly within their rights to call the police on patrons who are doing so, and/or throw those patrons out and refuse to serve them ever again. And those patrons are in the wrong. It's sinful and immoral to break the law. These people are shamelessly disobeying the law and thereby contributing to societal degeneration and moral decay. However, if the bar owners called these people out, they'd wind up losing business and wouldn't be doing themselves any favors.

There's a reason why some artists encourage it, and it's not because they're OK with stealing. They're OK with it because they don't consider it stealing. Not everyone looks at this in black and white.
    Yes, there are a lot of stupid laws still on the books. I'm pretty sure that sipping a beer you've paid for while standing isn't harming anyone unless you're doing it at a concert and those behind you are sitting. It's still illegal, and if someone arrested you for it, you don't have a leg to stand on. I will say that what Dreamer posted can be turned around. Just because an artist allows you to take video and post it doesn't mean you should.

I realize that as a software person, my whole world tends to be black or white, on or off, with very little shades of gray. A large part of that is because I don't feel it's up to me to judge mitigating circumstances unless it's a possible wrong done to me, and certainly not up to me to judge shades of gray when I'm the one doing the wrong.
    VK