Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles & YouTube etc

Default Re: Eagles & YouTube etc

VA, I have a question for you....On very popular YouTube videos we are forced to watch a "commercial" before the video starts....Don't these advertisers pay to put a commercial on an artists video???? I would think so, therefore the artist does profit from the YouTube video! Is this correct?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    VA, I have a question for you....On very popular YouTube videos we are forced to watch a "commercial" before the video starts....Don't these advertisers pay to put a commercial on an artists video???? I would think so, therefore the artist does profit from the YouTube video! Is this correct?
    I am not sure about this, but I think when it's an OFFICIAL video put up by the record label the label gets some money from it. Whether or not the artist gets something from it is dependant on their contract with the label.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I don't see that this is any different than getting all the bootlegs out there that people sell. Am I wrong? I own lots of those as a lot of other people here do also. Someone as filmed them illegally and then just sold them. Or how about those who trade bootlegs? What's the difference? Am I missing something?
    I don't know if it makes a difference to anyone else, but to me, I think it's OK to trade the live shows because they're not commercially available. I don't trade stuff that's released. I think that would be wrong. Part of the reason I freely trade (and don't charge) is to keep others from illegitimately making money off of them who DO charge. However, Don's attitude about live bootleg trading has made me back off that, even. I only do it now by special request.

Still, I think it would be very sad if the wonderful performances of the past were lost forever because no one ever traded them.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I am not sure about this, but I think when it's an OFFICIAL video put up by the record label the label gets some money from it. Whether or not the artist gets something from it is dependant on their contract with the label.
    But even YT videos that are not "official" videos have commercials. I don't think some ad agency could just tack on a commercial to any video?? They couldn't get into the actual video without permission & advertise? Videos with lots of hits have commercials, so I think there is some way they make some "deal" with the maker of the video & pay them....I have heard that some YouTubers have made money on their home made videos this way.

I was interested in the 'vanity' angle, as surely if you're saying that they don't to be filmed because 'they don't look their best' then that's like saying that some nights they don't make the effort to look their best for the fans. Which is surely short-changing the fans who've paid big bucks to see them? Why should I see an Eagle in (for example) an un-ironed shirt just because I see the show on Wednesday and not Thursday? I would have thought their insistence on sound perfection would apply to perfection in other areas of the show too.

I'm trying to remember if I actually read it, or imagined that, the Eagles filmed every show that they did. If they did, then the vanity issue wouldn't apply as a reason for them to not want the audience to film them. I know Barry Manilow films all his shows, and he's now made the archive public, though you have to subscribe. http://www.manilowarchives.com/
    (Not sure if you get to see the whole show, or just some of it.)
    The possible drawback to the Eagles doing this sort of thing is that I think they have a more limited number of songs to choose from than Barry.

ETA: After doing a bit more I think the 'videoed every show' came from something I read about them issuing the 40th anniversary DVD.

This may answer your question, TK:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2092117AAbMuac

Musicians can indeed make money directly from ads, provided they are not contractually obligated to go through a record company and beholden to whatever deal they made in that regard:

http://receptivemusic.com/2011/08/ar...h-youtube-ads/

Also, according to YouTube guidelines, no uploader can make money by posting material copyrighted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This may answer your question, TK:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2092117AAbMuac

Musicians can indeed make money from ads:

http://receptivemusic.com/2011/08/ar...h-youtube-ads/

Also, according to YouTube guidelines, no uploader can make money by posting material copyrighted to others.
    Yes, that does answer my question, thanks. So artists can make money off Youtube & I see that many of them do. In that case, I don't see how Don has such a problem with this, because the artist can be paid if they are using their own material.....This all makes sense to me. Though the commercials can be annoying, it is a way to produce revenue from a medium that is so popular & not going anywhere.

UK; I do think the Eagles film their shows. There was a professional videographer there filming the show Sun night. Not sure that every show is videoed but that is possible & wouldn't surprise me.

Well, since much of YouTube's traffic is due to people watching illegally uploaded copyrighted content, one could argue YouTube illegitimately profits from illegal content. The way around this is to create one's own official channel, as Joe and Tim have both done.

Heck, Joe even linked to an "illegal" fanvid...

And yes, the Eagles film all their shows. I don't know what they do with the footage, though, since we haven't had a DVD for years. I hope some will appear on the retrospective.

Sodascouts
    That said, since much of YouTube's traffic is due to people watching illegally uploaded copyrighted content, one could argue YouTube illegitimately profits from illegal content.

But Youtube is a free site, & they only approve commercials for content that is legal, not the illegal stuff.

No, I don't believe they necessarily thoroughly check before placing the ads. Even if they did, they would not have as much traffic - and therefore, not as many people clicking on their ads on search pages and the like, even if the ads aren't on the videos themselves - if it weren't for the illegal stuff. There's a difference between a site like mine that makes no money off the artists and a site like that which is monetized. YouTube takes copyrighted material down as soon as it's brought to their attention (as they are legally required to do under the DMCA) and they also have audio/video-matching software in place to try to block the uploading of videos that violate copyright, but it's not hard to get around those with a little ingenuity. The illegitimate uploads still exist and are still what people often come to YouTube to see.