Page 44 of 118 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Thread: Stevie Nicks

Default Re: Stevie Nicks

She's referring to about 1987-1995. Klonopin was initially prescribed to her to help her deal with withdrawl from cocaine, but she quickly became addicted to it and, as it says in that article, she feels the 8 years she was on the drug were the worst of her life.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks, Soda. I was wondering where it fit in terms of writing music - was that a period during which she didn't write or perform as much?
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

I think one of the most damaging things about Klonopin, at least in Stevie's mind, was that the inertia it caused made her gain weight. For a woman who was used to be considered absolutely beautiful, it was a bitter pill to swallow. I remember watching a Saturday Night Live "Weekend Update" after Fleetwood Mac's performance for the 1993 Clinton inauguration where Stevie was mercilessly mocked for gaining weight. She said that after the tour for Street Angel in 1994, she swore she would never get in front of an audience again because she was so tired of people calling her fat.

She got off Klonopin a year or so later, and lost a great deal of weight as a result. I'm sure that gave her a whole new sense of confidence, especially when Lindsey Buckingham started showing interest in her again in 1997 when in 1993 he pretty much blew her off after the inauguration (although they seemed friendly during it).

As far as her songwriting goes, Street Angel, the album she put out in the throes of her addiction to Klonopin, is not her best. It has a couple poorly done covers, one of which I consider to be one of the worst songs she has ever recorded ("Docklands"). Her version of Dylan's "Just Like a Woman" is very unimaginative.

Others were mediocre - "Listen to the Rain," "Love Is Like a River," "Kick It", and "Greta" are all unremarkable and the some of the lyrics are so rambling and random as to be nonsensical (especially "Kick It").

However, it is not awful by any means. The song "Blue Denim" is in my top 15 Stevie solo songs, and I also really enjoy the song "Street Angel." "Maybe Love" and "Unconditional Love", both written by her friend Sandy Stewart, are very good IMHO. "Destiny" is heartbreakingly beautiful and it helped me through a breakup back in 2000. "Rose Garden" is a sweet song from her youth. "Jane" is an odd song, but an interesting one.

One song that was left off but released as a Japanese bonus track, "God's Garden," is slow and drags a bit but it can be moving if you're in the right mood.

I think Stevie might be a bit melodramatic in blaming the medication for the fact that she never had children. A woman's prime childbearing years are her twenties and thirties, not her forties. During her 20s and 30s, she aborted her babies such as the child she conceived with Don. That's why she doesn't have kids. She "got rid" of them before they could be born. I love Stevie but that's the unvarnished truth.

Thanks for all the info, Soda!

I hadn't realised she had more than one abortion... however even if she didn't have kids she still has much to be thankful for in her life: her amazing talent, some really interesting life experiences & an enduring friendship with Don Henley (& I'm sure others in the music industry) would compensate for a lot!

And she's certainly beautiful now.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Did you guys watch "The Voice" on NBC tonight? Adam Levine, of Maroon 5, had his two choices sing "Leather and Lace" and I was really impressed with the girl! Her voice actually reminded me of Stevie in a few spots. Adam was very complimentary to Stevie and mentioned Don once too (although only to say that the guy contestant, like himself and Don Henley, had a high voice lol). He talked about what a hard song it was to sing, he seemed to be quite a fan of it and Stevie as well!

I missed that but I'll have to check it out!

Stevie appeared on Ellen today, even though she was still sick. While she sounded kind of hoarse, she did her best and she looked SLAMMIN'!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1h12H67Qc4[/ame]

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Just watched this on Waddy's FB this morning. She looks so amazing!!! Good stuff!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

She looks better sick than I do on a good day! Don't you just love her hand gestures as she sings? And she was so gracious at the end. "Thanks you for letting me come on here and sing my song."

What a class act!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Soda, I'm sure you got this!

Exclusive Pre Sale Opportunity Just For Being a Stevie Nicks Fan!
    Stevie Nicks wants to celebrate her birthday with you at a once-in-a-lifetime performance at an intimate venue in Los Angeles! Just for being a Stevie Nicks fan, we invite you to participate in an exclusive pre-sale opportunity for tickets to the event!

The private pre-sale details will be announced tomorrow. You will be sent instructions and your pre-sale code sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for being a fan and hope to see you at the show!

Wouldn't that be fun to go to?!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Guess what guys?? I'm totally going!!!!

A friend and I got tickets. Thank goodness we were on the ball and got on LiveNation.com right as they went on sale because the show sold out in minutes. I'll be heading to Los Angeles in a couple weeks for the birthday bash!

I need a little vacation and I just got a bonus at work. This will be PERFECT!

I'm SO EXCITED!!!!