Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

But what if you could only pick one? That was the original poster's premise if I understood her correctly.

It's way too hard to pick just one Eagles song, but if you were forced to choose - upon pain of death or lengthy exposure to rap music - what would you choose? My heart says "Witchy Woman." It's not their greatest, most worthy artistic statement but it's thrilling, powerful music that never gets old.

Border Troubadour

This is my top seven - not in exact order but pretty close:

New Kid in Town
    Doolin-Dalton / Desperado (Reprise)
    The Last Resort
    Saturday Night
    Doolin-Dalton
    Long Road Out of Eden
    Pretty Maids All in a Row

One very boring day back in early spring I made a list of every Eagles song to this effect, split up into brackets of how much I like them, and those above are the top tier. Any of those in the next tier (numbers 8-21) could easily make the final three places, depending on my mood; but the seven listed are set in stone. If I was doing the top ten today, it would probably be Sad Cafe, Waiting in the Weeds and Tequila Sunrise.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

If I could only pick one then I think I'd have to go for Take It Easy, on the grounds that it is probably the single Eagles song that I've listened to most. I've loved every version of it I have ever heard them do - the studio original of course, but also the stripped back, mostly acoustic Voorburg 1973 version, the California Jam performance with Jackson Browne, the rocking Washington 1977 with Joe's excellent final solo, the HFO version which confirmed that they were 'back'.

I could not pick Hotel California as my absolute favourite because although the music (especially the guitars) and the lyrics are absolutely outstanding, I think there are definitely better Eagles songs vocally (Henley's lead vocal is great, but they have plenty of songs with superior backing or harmony vocals in my view), whereas Take It Easy feels like a more 'complete' Eagles song to me. I'd say the same holds true for songs like Already Gone and One Of These Nights.

I have to agree though that it is very difficult to pick just a single Eagles one as my favourite! Too many great candidates which have different qualities to them (e.g. The Last Resort has some of the finest lyrics on any rock album IMO, whereas LITFL's main attraction to me lies in its guitar work).

I was searching for a suitable thread where I could try and make a list and this seemed to be the best one for it that wasn't tied to any poll or game thread. I apologise if I have missed a better thread for this.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    But what if you could only pick one?
    I would probably go for New Kid in Town, but D-D/D (Reprise) and Long Road Out of Eden would put up a very close fight. NKIT's listenability over and over again though would probably see it through, despite the other two being more 'epic'.

Edit - 1,000th post

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I can listen to (and have listened to) TIE over and over again. I still can't play the fricking intro properly though - why the hell do they start it on the fourth beat instead of the first?! To frustrate wannabe guitarists like me I suppose.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    One very boring day back in early spring I made a list of every Eagles song to this effect, split up into brackets of how much I like them, and those above are the top tier. Any of those in the next tier (numbers 8-21) could easily make the final three places, depending on my mood; but the seven listed are set in stone. If I was doing the top ten today, it would probably be Sad Cafe, Waiting in the Weeds and Tequila Sunrise.
    I'm quite tempted to give splitting the songs into different brackets a go myself actually, would be interesting to see how it would work out.

I have already done something vaguely similar for my favourite bands (including the Eagles), albeit mainly focussing on identifying my favourite albums rather than favourite songs, whereby I gave the songs on my favourite albums a rating out of 10 and then took an average to give the rating out of 10 for the album. I think I posted my 25 top albums by this measure on the forum although I did it for about 50 albums in total. I must admit this exercise did change my perceptions slightly (the Eagles debut album went up in my estimation, as did an album like Neil Young's Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, whereas Fleetwood Mac's Tusk and to a lesser extent One Of These Nights came out with a ranking lower than I expected).

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

My list, counting down:

20. Long Road out of Eden
    19. You Are Not Alone
    18. Peaceful Easy Feeling
    17. Desperado
    16. One of These Nights
    15. Somebody
    14. Lyin Eyes
    13. The Long Run
    12. New Kid in Town
    11. Witchy Woman
    10. Take It Easy
    9. Seven Bridges Road
    8. How Long
    7. James Dean
    6. Heartache Tonight
    5. In the City
    4. Hotel California
    3. Already Gone
    2. Life in the Fast Lane
    1. Outlaw Man

(I made this list and I forgot TITTL. It'd rank somewhere around #15)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

OOTN is my favorite Eagles song, but if I had to pick only one, I think I'd pick Take It Easy. It's more than a song to me. So many always try to bundle the Eagles up into one song, and it's usually always Hotel California. For me, it's Take It Easy.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I didn't see the part about picking just one. Ugh, that's tough. I want to go with Outlaw Man as its my favorite. However, HC has been in my musical brain forever. I think that I'd have to go with Life in the Fast Lane, though. There's something about that song that clicks with me a bit more than the other 2. Maybe it's because as a 12/13 y/o, I felt like such a bad*ss being able to say g*ddamn without my mom getting on my case. I can't really explain it. I think that in some ways, it transports me back in time, and for a brief few minutes, I feel like I'm part of the 70s. Does that make sense?
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

Nice to know that some old threads are being revitalised. Thanks JCL.

Best Ever Song - Desperado.

Going by lead singer:
    Henley; Desperado
    Frey: Ol' '55
    Walsh: Pretty Maids All In A Row
    Schmit: I Can't Tell You Why
    Leadon: I Wish You Peace
    Meisner: Take It To The Limit
    Felder: Visions

I originally had King Of Hollywood down for Glenn but I'm not sure it'd qualify as a Frey lead vocal.