Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

Default Re: Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

It's so hard to choose just one! So I'm going to cheat and name a favorite from each album:
    "Earlybird" - I just love the vibe of this song; the harmonies, the chord progression, it has that perfect country-rock feel to it.
    "Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise)" - this is especially hard because I really love Desperado and I think this is my favorite because it does reprise the two most memorable themes of the concept. But "Bitter Creek" is a close second.
    "Good Day in Hell" - As I noted, On The Border is my favorite album, I think it works the best as an album and this song edges out the title track only just slightly. But it cracks me up, I think it's a great example of the kind of songwriting partnership Don and Glenn had in terms of the humor and their musical affinity.
    "After The Thrill Is Gone" - Don was/is totally prescient in many ways but perhaps none so much as this song: in life, in love, in music. And their vocals are gorgeous, ye gods.
    "New Kid In Town" - this was a toughie too but I think it's Glenn's finest moment and just a perfect song.
    "Those Shoes" - brilliant social satire/commentary (even an unlikely feminist credo of sorts) and a totally badass tune. But "King of Hollywood" is a close second.
    "Learn To Be Still" - I know this is a song which belongs more to Don than the band, but it's beautiful and poignant.
    "Long Road Out of Eden" - the prog lover in me had to choose the epic, of course.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Border Desperado

My top 10 in no particular order:

I cant tell you why
    Take it easy
    One of these nights
    Best of my Love
    James Dean
    Already Gone
    New Kid in Town
    Seven Bridges Road
    Waiting in the weeds
    Wasted Time

Top 5. No particular order....

HC
    Outlaw Man
    Pretty Maids
    Witchy Woman
    LITFL

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Border Troubadour

I'm feeling a bit left out here, I can't stand OOTN. Sorry guys!

Anyway, a top 10 as things stand (in reverse):
    10) Midnight Flyer - dat outro :P
    9) New Kid in Town - perpetually in the top 10, love last verse (Where you been lately...)
    PMAIAR - beautiful, absolutely beautiful
    7) Outlaw Man - found a new love for this song after seeing the Seattle '76 version
    6) How Long - the version they did back in their early days I think was one of their best rock songs pre-HC
    5) My Man - like PMAIAR, so beautiful. Easily Bernie's best Eagles song
    4) Doolin-Dalton - the harmonica at the start is one of my favourite bits of Eagles music. So, so glad it's made a return for HOTE
    3) Hotel California - again another constant in the top 10. I don't think I need to give reasons
    2) Hollywood Waltz - one of their most underrated songs ever. If they had played it, well, ever, I believe it would have become a concert stapke
    1) Ol' 55 - the harmonies on it are out of this world, and Bernie's steel pedal guitar is just divine.

The live version of Outlaw Man from that Seattle show is what did it for me as well. I had forgotten the Eagles covered that song. The version with Joe is amazing!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Ooops, forgot "Funky New Year," I busted that out tonight just so I could hear Don say "My hair hurts!"
    What year is this, anyway?
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

My favorite songs
    1. Hotel California
    2. New Kid In Town
    3. Doolin' Dalton
    4. Doolin' Dalton/Desperado Reprise
    5. How Long
    6. Already Gone
    7. Wasted Time
    8. Best of My Love
    9. The Long Run
    10. Desperado

Honorable Mention
    1. In The City
    2. Life in The Fast Lane
    3. Lyin' Eyes
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 12-18-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Desperado!!

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I love so many Eagles songs. This was a hard decision but here's my top ten:
    1. Hotel California
    2. Take It Easy
    3. Already Gone
    4. One of These Nights
    5. Long Run
    6. Desperado
    7. Take It to the Limit
    8. Pretty Maids All in a Row
    9. Heartache Tonight
    10. In the City
    Honorable Mention:
    Victim of Love
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Lyin' Eyes
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

After mentioning favourite songs in another thread I realised that in over six months on here I have yet to make any kind of list of my favourite Eagles songs. I think it's time to change that.

When it comes to the Eagles, my favourite songs are also the songs I consider to be their best so I feel I can use these terms interchangeably, something I can't always do (by this I mean that I can think of songs that I admire but don't really enjoy, or songs that I enjoy even though they are fairly unremarkable). A song like Tryin', which I think is a fairly good (not great) song but one I enjoy listening to a lot, would not be anywhere near the top of my list of Eagles songs.

They have far too many songs I love for to be able to restrict my list to just a top ten, but I find it tricky to define an exact top 20. Therefore I will define a clear top 15 songs, listed in chronological order of release:
    - Take It Easy
    - Witchy Woman
    - Doolin-Dalton
    - Desperado
    - Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise)
    - Already Gone
    - My Man
    - One Of These Nights
    - Hotel California
    - New Kid In Town
    - Life In The Fast Lane
    - The Last Resort
    - The Sad Café
    - Waiting In The Weeds
    - Long Road Out Of Eden

I'm afraid I can't sort these in any meaningful order of preference, different songs appeal to me in different days so for instance if I am in a mellow mood and would prefer some largely acoustic country rock I'd favour Doolin-Dalton and My Man, whereas if I want to rock it would be Hotel California and LITFL. All these 15 songs are very special to me for various reasons.

The remaining five slots in my top 20 would probably go to any of the following songs (the others would make up my 'honourable mentions'), again in chronological order:
    - Take The Devil
    - Peaceful Easy Feeling
    - Tequila Sunrise
    - Bitter Creek
    - Good Day In Hell
    - The Best Of My Love
    - Lyin' Eyes
    - Take It To The Limit
    - After The Thrill Is Gone
    - Victim Of Love
    - Try And Love Again
    - The Long Run
    - Those Shoes
    - How Long
    - Somebody

Which five of these would make my top 20 would again vary from day to day, but all of these songs are also top quality in my view.

Looking back at my choices, I realised after saying that I would find it difficult to give an exact list but somehow I have managed to name a top 30 in the end. The breakdown by album is as follows:

Eagles - 4
    Desperado - 5
    On The Border - 4
    One Of These Nights - 4
    Hotel California - 5
    The Long Run - 3
    Long Road Out Of Eden - 4

There's still several songs I absolutely love which I have been forced to leave out, but I have to stop somewhere. I'm quite sad that I didn't include a single Joe or Tim vocal, nothing from HFO either although I am less worried about that as there were only four new songs (Get Over It was probably closest to making my list, although I really like Learn To Be Still as well, but the other two aren't favourites of mine unfortunately).

However, I am pleased to say that all seven of their studio albums are represented in my list, and I was quite surprised how evenly spread my choices were across the seven. I would contrast this with another of my favourite bands, Led Zeppelin, where nearly all of the songs I love are from the first six albums, with the last three only really having 3 or 4 genuine big favourites of mine.