Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: London Olympics

Default Re: London Olympics

I love watching the Olympics but because of my traveling, I've been missing out. I did catch the race FP referenced. It was pretty exciting - down to the last fraction of a second!

I do hate those post-race interviews of those who didn't win, though. Asking people who just lost a crucial race to explain "what happened" or "what are you feeling right now" just seems cruel. Stick to talking to the winners!

I hope to see more gymnastics and swimming, but it's hard to coordinate the times they air.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I love watching the Olympics but because of my traveling, I've been missing out. I did catch the medley FP referenced. It was pretty exciting - down to the last fraction of a second!

I do hate those post-race interviews of those who didn't win, though. Asking people who just lost a crucial race to explain "what happened" or "what are you feeling right now" just seems cruel. Stick to talking to the winners!

I hope to see more gymnastics and swimming, but it's hard to coordinate the times they air.
    I agree it is cruel; but on Australian TV our commentators only talk to Australians, so they were not going to talk to the French. I was somewhat harsh in what I said about Magnussen but I do think these athletes need to learn something about sportsmanship no matter how disappointed they are. Our team didn't even attempt to congratulate the French team.

Huge congratulations to Team GB for winning a bronze medal in the men's gymnastics! An amazing accomplishment and so exciting to watch.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Yes, congrats to them! They're about to air that soon on this side of the pond, and I'm looking forward to watching it.

Meanwhile, they just aired Missy Franklin winning the gold for 100 meter backstroke! She's adorable!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've been dipping in and out of the Games over the past few days. They sure are exciting and the Irish boxers seem to be doing very well so far. I love watching the swimming even though its unlikely we will get anythere in the medals!

We all watched the opening ceremony on Friday night. It was truly spectacular!

I'm disappointed though about the 'empty seat' controversy that seems to have erupted over the last few days. Like so many others I too tried to ger event tickets and was pipped at the first post. Now there are empty seats all over the place. Apparently according to the BBC these tickets went to sponsors who have not bothered to show up. They will be on sale for £5 for adults and £1 for children on the day of the events, but its a big risk to take. I would gladly have paid more when they were released for the certainty of knowing I had them.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Yes, congrats to them! They're about to air that soon on this side of the pond, and I'm looking forward to watching it.

Meanwhile, they just aired Missy Franklin winning the gold for 100 meter backstroke! She's adorable!

I was so looking forward to watching this race but NBC fixed that. With the time difference the races are obviously on tape delay. About 20 minutes before the race went off they had a promo commercial for the Today Show touting their Monday AM guest as Missy Franklin with her Gold Medal and her parent's reaction to her win. I still watched the race, but knowing the outcome in advance kind of ruined the excitement. Nice spoiler, NBC.

PVR'd the opening ceremonies, but haven't had a chance to watch them. I have been seeing bits of the competitions here & there.

Troub, I saw the men's gymnatics competition last night. Congrats to the GB team! I thought they deserved the silver medal. It must have been disappointing for them to think they had won it won it & then to see the results changed to place them in 3rd place, but they appeared to be just as delighted with the bronze.

Hi--um, the relays you've referred to--to this date--are Freestyle Relays--the only stroke swum in the event--for each of the four relay team competitors--is freestyle (front crawl).\

The Medley Relay(s) will be each of the four competitive swimming strokes within the same event--also a four-person relay;--the first competitor will swim backstroke (back crawl), the second wil swim breaststroke, the third will swim butterfly, and the fourth will swim freestyle. The Medley Relays will be on Saturday, at the end of the Olympic swimming events.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Hi--um, the relays you've referred to--to this date--are Freestyle Relays--the only stroke swum in the event--for each of the four relay team competitors--is freestyle (front crawl).\

The Medley Relay(s) will be each of the four competitive swimming strokes within the same event--also a four-person relay;--the first competitor will swim backstroke (back crawl), the second wil swim breaststroke, the third will swim butterfly, and the fourth will swim freestyle. The Medley Relays will be on Saturday, at the end of the Olympic swimming events.
    I edited my original post.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Amen! Why in the world do they ask them that stuff. They have worked for these moments all their lives and to ask them this when they've lost is just terrible. Of course they feel awful, are disappointed, and are near tears. Talk to the winners, please! And at least let them catch their breath! Poor Missy F could hardly talk right after she won, but the media insisted! Good grief!

I'm so happy for Michael Phelps! What a man!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten