Page 267 of 273 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267268269270271 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 2722

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

My take on Glenn's "stick with me" comment to his family referred to his fear that going back into the band environment would bring out the worst in him again, and he may become as unhappy as he was toward the end of the 70's. While I don't think any of us know what it's like to live in the "Eagle pressure cooker", I think most of us can relate to how stressful it can be when you feel like you're being torn in many different directions.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    My mother is a big Glenn-fan, and she loved the documentary! She doesn't always remember his name, so she refers to him as 'the one with the great hair' or 'the good looking one'. When I remind her they all have great hair or that they're all good looking, she says, 'you know which one I mean'.
    Oh gosh, my mom would hate the documentary. Its cussing, its nudity, its tales of debauchery... she would be appalled and wonder why her sweet little girl listens to this band so much!

She's the best mom in the world and I love her dearly, but I have to skip any song with curse words, taking the Lord's name in vain, overt drug references, overt references to extra-marital sex, or possible mockery of Christians/God like you find in "The Last Resort" and "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" when she's in the room (not that I'm into that either; I just think the good stuff is worth overlooking the bad stuff).

I don't play the Eagles too much around her unless it's the "parent-friendly" playlist that I made on my iPod, and I sure as heck won't be watching the documentary with her. lol

That said, she does like Glenn, although she can't remember his name - she refers to him as "the man who was so nice to you" - and I play her After Hours (she doesn't play CDs herself except at Christmas). She likes that CD and thankfully doesn't get what "Same Girl" is about. She might not appreciate his music as much if I played her "Partytown." lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Believe it or not, one of the members of Squeeze objected to the lyrics of "Partytown" too. You know how rock magazines back in the day (maybe they still do it) would have a musician give his or her comments on other releases? Chris Difford - or was it Glenn Tilbrook, I get them mixed up - said the lyrics would not be a positive influence on people. Might encourage irresponsible behavior. I think he was being serious, though Squeeze lyrics are hardly what you'd call wholesome.

I remember reading that interview when searching for articles about Glenn. I think the guy from Squeeze's problem with it was that in the song Glenn blows off a wife to get drunk, do drugs, and sleep with random women he meets in bars, which in the song is presented as more fun and "so cool" - a guy escaping a boring family life and finding happiness in "parties."

Of course, the very same album has on it "I've Been Born Again" which extols giving up a life like that for monogamy. Obviously, Glenn had no agenda to promote such a hedonistic lifestyle, but if you listened to "Partytown" in isolation, you might get the idea that he did, and get concerned about him sending such a message.

I've wondered if "Partytown" could be taken ironically - that one could read the guy in the song as delusional, pathetic, and headed for an inevitable crash into harsh reality after the high wears off.

Maybe we're getting a bit off-topic - might be interesting to discuss this in a new thread, though.

Border Troubadour

I'm intrigued as to the contents of your parent-friendly Eagles playlist Would something like Take It Easy with the 'My Lord' reference make the cut?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I'm intrigued as to the contents of your parent-friendly Eagles playlist Would something like Take It Easy with the 'My Lord' reference make the cut?
    Nope.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

First off, Soda, you currently have my favorite avatar!!

My mother doesn't care for the Lord's name being taken in vain. Other than that, she listens to country music where nearly every song is about something best not emulated. She has a fine appreciation for good looking men... In reference to my recent celebrity crush thread entry, we were watching the Pirates last weekend and Sean Rodriguez came on the camera and she was suddenly awake and watching intently. "Wow, he's a good looking man." As for Glenn, well, add in the voice of an angel singing some of the best songs ever written, and it's easy to see why she likes him.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I have the same problems with my grandparents. My ringtone and ringback tone are both Smuggler's Blues. It starts out with the lyric " I'm sorry it went down like this....". I hope that I don't have to explain that song to them! One of them was a preacher and another could've been. I don't want to get an earful from them. Lol. In all seriousness, I try to be respectful of their wishes of no foul language when around them.
    Actually, my mom was a bit wary of watching the documentary when I told her about the language, but she overlooked it. Imo, I'd rather have the guys be 100% open and honest (just be themselves) than to have it edited to bits because some people take offense at hearing some "bad" words. I'll never understand why some people can say cuss words and not bat an eye, yet when someone says one, the sky is falling!
    I come from a totally different world. Cussing, nudity(not fond of female nudity though, drug references, violence etc don't bother me.
    Anyways, I'm going to watch the doc again after supper. There's no else on to watch and the cd part of my boombox just quit on me this afternoon . I wonder if I'll spot something new?
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Hey, does anyone know what song is playing at around the 29:15 mark of the first disc? It's just after Glenn and Don discuss what they had for breakfast. An announcer says "Ladies and gentlemen, Linda Ronstadt." Then the song plays for a few seconds. To me, it honestly sounds like the intro to Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf.
    -Kim-

Another question, at the 1:07:30 mark of disc 1, there's a photo of David Geffen. Is that Mama Cass (Cass Elliott) behind him?
    It's at the part where the band is pissed at Geffen for having half of their publishing.
    -Kim-