Page 16 of 273 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Default Re: Eagles Documentary DVD

Topkat you took the words right out of my mouth! I was gonna write that but didnt want my first post to say that. One of my biggest problems with frey henley is the greed. This documentary just confirmed it even more. Like you said Hotel california wouldnt exist as we know it without Felder that is a fact. And HC is the song that put the Eagles in another realm. The song that most of the planet recognizes as theirs.

Frey said in the end that he is happy with how he handled things the second time around, how he "kept the band together" really? He kept the band together this time around? Last i checked Felder isnt there.

My story i was gonna tell about me at Giants stadium in 94 is when I felt the, if even indirect, greed of the eagles. I was a huge Eagles fan and went to that 94 show and had a camera on me like most people. The differnce was that my camera was a little nicer than most of the point and shoots people had on them. Anyway I had waited my entire life to see them play and was very excited.

I had great tickets for a stadium show, 12th row on the floor slightly to Walsh's side of the stage. I was right up there. As a matter of fact its the show features in part 2 of the film.

As they came on and opened with Hotel california i snapped a few shots like many people around me and put the camera down. For the next 2 or 3 songs I would take a shot or 2. After 12 shots somewhere into the 3rd or 4th song suddenly an Eagles security guy shows up in the middle of a song and tells me no photos. So I say ok and proceed to put the camera away. But he then says "give me the film". I was like why?? Other people are taking photos and you are not stopping them but you want my film?? He insisted and said give me the film or get kicked out. All this while the eagles sing just some feet away. I tried to talk him out of it telling him i was a big fan and would feel like he was taking a part of me if he took my photos but he stood his ground. You have 5 seconds to give me the film or be kicked out.

I really didnt want to give him my film so I did some quick thinking and gave him a roll of shots from the parking lot and he finally left. After settling down i enjoyed the rest of the show. But my immediate thought was these guys are making millions upon millions and they hound their fans because of some photos? Even worse threaten to kick them out if they dont hand over personal property! I was pissed and never forgot that. I know it wasnt frey or henley themselves that walked off stage to grab my film but i always felt that it was something they approved. It did leave a little bad taste in my mouth but i still love the band and music and was thrilled waching especially part 1. Half way through i was giddy in excitement not believing the amazing footage they finally unearthed.

I still have those 12 frames of film, if you guys are interested i can post them.
    Last edited by OutlawManNJ; 02-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Welcome OutlawManNJ & Steve!!! Glad you jumped on board and it's nice to see a couple opinions from new members here. Hope we hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post

I still have those 12 frames of film, if you guys are interested i can post them.
    You don't even have to ask---- You bet we'd love to see those shots, especially since you had to go through so much to keep them safe!! Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts
    In fact, Glenn doesn't sound bitter to me; on the contrary, he sounds almost proud of the way he dealt with Felder. At the end, the last thing he says is how he feels the second time around, he's done a much better job as band leader and the only thing he regrets is not handling things better in the seventies.
    I think he should indeed be extremely proud of what he's accomplished over the last 40+ years but he sure shouldn't be proud of how bitter he seemed, and I will call it nothing other than bitter. His language or even his attitude doesn't shock me, I've heard it all before.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts
    TBF, I'm sorry to hear you were disillusioned because Glenn spoke harshly, but I'm also a bit surprised. I didn't need a documentary to show me that Glenn can be as harsh as Don Henley when he feels it's called for.
    Disillusioned probably isn't the right word but surprised that he still sounds so bitter, even after this many years, while talking about it. VA---you're right tho-we do not know how he worked himself up to that state. I am disappointed that he came across like he did last night.

I still think it's very strange that we all seem to see it 2 totally different ways.

Again--- I'm not saying Glenn was wrong and Felder was right. I seriously don't know because as has been pointed out, NO ONE knows the actual truth. And as far as Felder, I really don't miss him, to me, Steuart does a fine job, in my opinion. So it's not that I'm defending Felder in any way, shape or form.

I would love to hear how some people that aren't fans felt if they saw this last night. I think it would be interesting to see their opinions.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

First, I am gonna say that I have not seen the doc yet .
    I have enjoyed reading and re reading all the posts in this thread.
    We all have opinions and we are all are "die hard" fans. I think WW said it best about there being three sides(hope I said that right ww)
    Personally I think we all do things at any given time in our lives where we feel we are doing the right or best thing at the time...and then sometimes we look back and say "ah geeze ...should have or could have done that differently". Plus , if I read the posts correctly , alot of their decissions were done at times they were under the influence of substances possibly.

Just a thought...about the beatles comments....You guys should read"YOu never give me your money". It explains it all about the money end of the beatles and their break up. Very highly reccommedn it.I think the reason George Harrison had a three lp of "all things must Pass" was because it was all the material that the Other beatles had rejected. That lp was a big seller and an award winner....I dont see DF doing that after he left the Eagles. I am not taking away from the man the contribution he made to (my fave eagles song) HOtel California". I think JMO his strenght was his guitar talents.....like all the parts (GF, DH , DF, JW and TBS) made the whole (the eagles) Example,,I like the music to the song VIsions....but I dont like the vocals...jmo not df 's strong suit...

SO to get back to point.....I dont think any of them were angles in the contract disputes that tried to become bigger than the band itself.

WELCOME TO STEVE AND OUTLAW MAN..may you enjoy your time on the border.

steve...I did enjoy reading your post

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Maybe because their names were on the screen as they interviewed? Just a guess, I have no idea how it all works, and I'm one of those horrid people who never watch the credits of any movie. I've always figured that I do my job and do it well and no one rolls my name on a screen in front of our customers!
    va..love this quote about your name on a credit screen

OutlawManNJ, thanks for posting your story, but it doesn't surprise me & probably doesn't shock anybody around here because most of us have either seen or experienced the wrath of having a camera at an Eagles show. I'm so glad you were fast thinking & gave that goon the wrong film!!! KUDOS to YOU
    Heck yeah we wanna see it!!

As for Frey, well his behavior in last nights episode only confirmed my feelings about him & my opinion that he is a bully. To call Felder an Ahole, & to pressure him to sign the contract before the sun goes down or he's out of the F**king band. Well, That said it all to me. He still sounds bitter, angry & immature. That task could have easily been done by Irving, but Glenn seemed to actually take pleasure in making that call.

When Felder signed it, it was under duress, so he questioned it later. If it was his responsibility to know what was in the contract, he barely even had enough time to go over it. Frey was trying to bully him right out of the band, just like he did to Randy. Though Randy officially "quit", he was practically pushed out by Glenn.

These are some of the reasons I can't feel the love some of you have for Glenn. I respect his talent & what he brings to the Eagles, but as a person, I just find him borderline abusive... So there, I've said what I really feel. Yeah, Glenn's not my favorite Eagle!

A big Welcome to Steve & OutlawMan....Nice to have some new people in here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    OutlawManNJ, thanks for posting your story, but it doesn't surprise me & probably doesn't shock anybody around here because most of us have either seen or experienced the wrath of having a camera at an Eagles show. I'm so glad you were fast thinking & gave that goon the wrong film!!! KUDOS to YOU
    Heck yeah we wanna see it!!

As for Frey, well his behavior in last nights episode only confirmed my feelings about him & my opinion that he is a bully. To call Felder an Ahole, & to pressure him to sign the contract before the sun goes down or he's out of the F**king band. Well, That said it all to me. He still sounds bitter, angry & immature. That task could have easily been done by Irving, but Glenn seemed to actually take pleasure in making that call.

When Felder signed it, it was under duress, so he questioned it later. If it was his responsibility to know what was in the contract, he barely even had enough time to go over it. Frey was trying to bully him right out of the band, just like he did to Randy. Though Randy officially "quit", he was practically pushed out by Glenn.

These are some of the reasons I can't feel the love some of you have for Glenn. I respect his talent & what he brings to the Eagles, but as a person, I just find him borderline abusive... So there, I've said what I really feel. Yeah, Glenn's not my favorite Eagle!

A big Welcome to Steve & OutlawMan....Nice to have some new people in here!!!

I can't agree with your Unjustified Statement That Glenn is a bully. Felder brought it all on himself IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I can't agree with your Unjustified Statement That Glenn is a bully. Felder brought it all on himself IMO!
    I commend Frey and the rest for their bluntness in the film. One of my fears about the film was that it would be an authorized film which would mean it would be soft and glossy. I was even worried that we would only hear from current Eagles. So I was happy that they all spoke and that they didnt hold back much. Who would want to see a filme of them just praising each other the whole time.

That said one has to look at the 3 times someone left the band and who had the bloddy knife every single time? Glenn Frey.

Frey says "then i thought leadon for walsh hmmm". I mean he was scheming to kick out an original member. Then with Meisner it was Frey that again had major issues. His pick of timmothy schmidt seemed to have been well thought out ahead of time. And with Felder again Frey is all ove that Twice! Once in the 80s and again in 2000.

I still like them all but Frey does have some blood on his hands.

Glenn is the leader of the band...so it always seems that he's the one to be the one "with blood on his hands"....that's just part of being the leader...his job is to watch out for what's best for the group...not an easy or always pleasant job...that doesn't make him a bully...just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    I commend Frey and the rest for their bluntness in the film. One of my fears about the film was that it would be an authorized film which would mean it would be soft and glossy. I was even worried that we would only hear from current Eagles. So I was happy that they all spoke and that they didnt hold back much. Who would want to see a filme of them just praising each other the whole time.

That said one has to look at the 3 times someone left the band and who had the bloddy knife every single time? Glenn Frey.

Frey says "then i thought leadon for walsh hmmm". I mean he was scheming to kick out an original member. Then with Meisner it was Frey that again had major issues. His pick of timmothy schmidt seemed to have been well thought out ahead of time. And with Felder again Frey is all ove that Twice! Once in the 80s and again in 2000.

I still like them all but Frey does have some blood on his hands.
    Thank you, I do believe that statement was justified!
    You're right, when Randy left, Glenn called Timothy the next day & invited him into the band. Much as I love Tim, I agree that Glenn planned this all along. He was making Randy so miserable, that he quit. They already knew how great Tim was in Poco, so as Tim said, he never played anything to get into the band, just invited to join....
    I never even thought about the Bernie situation....Ummm it did seem a bit odd.