Page 15 of 273 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Default Re: Eagles Documentary DVD

Felder signed the contract in 1994 under the "duress" of Glenn telling him "sign it by sunset or you're out of the band." However, he was unhappy and complained constantly. As Glenn put it, Felder didn't care about how much HE was making; he only cared about whether or not he was making as much as Glenn and Don H.

In the late 90s, Glenn and Don H wanted to redo the contracts again. This time, Felder balked at signing; he'd gotten his lawyer involved. Instead of giving Felder another ultimatum, they just fired him. AFTER Felder was fired, he said he'd sign the revised contracts if they would just let him be in the band again, but by then it was too late.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Hi Everyone,
    What better way to post for the first time here, than sharing some thoughts about “History Of The Eagles”. As an L.A. native (still here and current in the entertainment industry), I’ve lived smack dab in the middle of Eagleland. Like all of you, I’ve waited years and years and years to hear stories straight from the horses’ mouths’, opposed to fired band members and unauthorized biographies (although I personally believe much as what’s been written in the past, including Felder’s book)

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this. At the end of last night, I wanted more… and sure enough, when tonight ended, I said the same thing...”More please”. The interviews were informative, the archive footage fascinating, and the music…well, that’s most important.

However, there were some issues I can’t shake. They aren’t make and break, and I hope I don’t get slammed, but wanted to share (note – I still loved it).

Firstly, Gibney and Ellwood could have done a much better job. I just don’t feel they captured how enormous this band once was. There just wasn’t that “1-2 punch”, if that makes any sense. I’ve loved their work in the past, but Pearl Jam’s Twenty, Scorsese’s George Harrison Docu and Tom Petty’s Running Down a Dream all had more power. I think they could have displayed their impact to society better than they did. We get 5-10 min about On The Border and One of these Nights, yet 40+ minutes about HFO? Huh?

Another quick point about the filmmakers -- No former band members were thanked in the credits. Nor was Jackson Browne, Bob Seger, Linda Ronstadt, Jimmy Buffett, Glyn Johns or anyone else. I find that disgusting and quite insensitive.

Secondly, this is a whole band. It is not called “Don Henley, Glenn Frey and the Eagles”. Many have said it here, and I completely comprehend Frey and Henley are the leaders (musically and otherwise), but I wish I saw even more insight from the former members… and others close to the band. Jackson Browne was really the only one with much insight, but I could rattle off a list of plenty in the know who could lend a statement here and there.

Thirdly, Don Felder. Full disclosure, I’m a big Felder fan. From all I’ve seen and heard (which is more than has ever been written), he got the shaft, plain and simple. While I still love Felder, I have to say I have changed my opinion a bit after watching this. Glenn’s simple statement about what he and Henley did while the Eagles were broken up is something I didn’t consider much until he said it. Frey is right…if it wasn’t for him and DH touring, playing the songs, etc, there might not have been nearly the success that was HFO. In some ways, I now think they are entitled to more, but there is one thing that cannot be denied – Felder’s guitar work is every bit responsible for Eagles stardom as Frey/Henley. You cannot put one ahead of the other. Hotel California, the opening riffs and the guitar work at the end --- Szymczyk said it himself – is what he is most proud of in his entire career. Not to mention is numerous guitar contributions. Felder is no saint… and after seeing this (and seeing him in a Q&A several weeks ago at the grammy museum), that was confirmed, but Glenn is a very….very close 2nd (and may even be worse). Felder’s and Frey’s selfishness and stubbornness canceled each other out, but both of those guys need to check themselves a little. However… it is Glenn’s band, and he said what he thought he had to say. If Felder had a brain, he would stop with the nonsense, end any lawsuits, maybe even reverse a couple in the past, and make an effort every 30-60 days until they crack and give it a try (which they will, because there’s money to be made, and people don’t go to see Steuart Smith…but the main lineup is a nice marketing tagline when almost everyone has already seen you in the last 7 years of touring).

Overall, I really liked it. True, from reading you may think otherwise, but that isn’t the case. It was fantastic. I’m just doing what I always do when reviewing something – take off the rose colored glasses and be honest.

Thanks all (let the flaming begin)
    Steve

Final Note - someone said earlier, there’s three sides to a story - his, mine and truth. We’ll never know the truth part, but its clear that all the players (Azoff and Geffen included) are not saints. In fact, some may even be considered a scumbag (or worse). They are musicians who impacted our lives and became a soundtrack to each of us.

They aren’t gods… but I can see the resemblance.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    In the late 90s, Glenn and Don H wanted to redo the contracts again. This time, Felder balked at signing; he'd gotten his lawyer involved. Instead of giving Felder another ultimatum, they just fired him. AFTER Felder was fired, he said he'd sign the revised contracts if they would just let him be in the band again, but by then it was too late.
    On page 315 it says he signed the new contract, and it had to do with the box set, Selected Works 1972-1999. Months later, in Feb 2001, he had his lawyer send a 'gentle reminder' to Irving to ask for details of certain agreements (after months of asking for details of who was making what) and two days later Irving let him know he was fired. It's confusing because he says the response he got back about the 'certain agreements' were that they were unsigned. He reminded Irving that he'd signed the contract and that everything was cool. When he called Glenn, Glenn said “I never want to get another f***ing letter from Barry Tyerman,”
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I'm watching Part 2 for the third time tonight!...I love the part when they did the MTV concert and Don forgets the lyrics..and Glenn cracks up...
    I'm amazed at the reticence Don and Glenn had when they got together to write again...hard to believe these guys were unsure of themselves..but I guess they're human...and for them to be unsure if anyone would show up at concerts if they toured again...Really?...wow

LONG time Eagles fan and was excited when I found out about the film. I was even more excited after I saw part 1! I cant believe they held out on that footage for so long!! I swear i thought they must have had nothing, since very little footage was known. AMAZING!

Ill write more later (after catching up on tread) including my story of what happened to me at the 1994 HFO show at Giants stadium.

I'm going to make one very brief comment for thought around here. Something that occurred to me last night.
    In all Glenn's arguments that he & Henley deserved more money, I'm going to compare this to the BEATLES. Here Lennon & McCartney did MOST of the songwriting & lead vocals, but did that make Harrison & Ringo LESS of a BEATLE? Did they earn LESS money? I don't think so??? I'm just saying that a band needs all the players, yes some of them can be replaced.... but it's not the same...Would the Beatles still have the same impact if they replaced George Harrison? or Ringo? I don't know, but I'm just saying that Felder was a part of this band, & it IS different without him.
    I don't think that his contributions to the band were given enough credit.
    Would there even BE a Hotel California if not for Felder? I don't know & isn't that the song that brought the band to the highest level of fame...I do believe it was.
    Just because Felder didn't sing as many leads or write as many songs that went into the albums, did it mean he didn't work as hard at it as Henley & Frey??? He submitted many works that the band never took any further.
    I'm just saying that Henley & Frey felt they deserved more....Well, I'm thinking maybe they don't, but this was their argument.
    Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_e_dee View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    What better way to post for the first time here, than sharing some thoughts about “History Of The Eagles”. As an L.A. native (still here and current in the entertainment industry), I’ve lived smack dab in the middle of Eagleland. Like all of you, I’ve waited years and years and years to hear stories straight from the horses’ mouths’, opposed to fired band members and unauthorized biographies (although I personally believe much as what’s been written in the past, including Felder’s book)

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this. At the end of last night, I wanted more… and sure enough, when tonight ended, I said the same thing...”More please”. The interviews were informative, the archive footage fascinating, and the music…well, that’s most important.

However, there were some issues I can’t shake. They aren’t make and break, and I hope I don’t get slammed, but wanted to share (note – I still loved it).

Firstly, Gibney and Ellwood could have done a much better job. I just don’t feel they captured how enormous this band once was. There just wasn’t that “1-2 punch”, if that makes any sense. I’ve loved their work in the past, but Pearl Jam’s Twenty, Scorsese’s George Harrison Docu and Tom Petty’s Running Down a Dream all had more power. I think they could have displayed their impact to society better than they did. We get 5-10 min about On The Border and One of these Nights, yet 40+ minutes about HFO? Huh?

Another quick point about the filmmakers -- No former band members were thanked in the credits. Nor was Jackson Browne, Bob Seger, Linda Ronstadt, Jimmy Buffett, Glyn Johns or anyone else. I find that disgusting and quite insensitive.

Secondly, this is a whole band. It is not called “Don Henley, Glenn Frey and the Eagles”. Many have said it here, and I completely comprehend Frey and Henley are the leaders (musically and otherwise), but I wish I saw even more insight from the former members… and others close to the band. Jackson Browne was really the only one with much insight, but I could rattle off a list of plenty in the know who could lend a statement here and there.

Thirdly, Don Felder. Full disclosure, I’m a big Felder fan. From all I’ve seen and heard (which is more than has ever been written), he got the shaft, plain and simple. While I still love Felder, I have to say I have changed my opinion a bit after watching this. Glenn’s simple statement about what he and Henley did while the Eagles were broken up is something I didn’t consider much until he said it. Frey is right…if it wasn’t for him and DH touring, playing the songs, etc, there might not have been nearly the success that was HFO. In some ways, I now think they are entitled to more, but there is one thing that cannot be denied – Felder’s guitar work is every bit responsible for Eagles stardom as Frey/Henley. You cannot put one ahead of the other. Hotel California, the opening riffs and the guitar work at the end --- Szymczyk said it himself – is what he is most proud of in his entire career. Not to mention is numerous guitar contributions. Felder is no saint… and after seeing this (and seeing him in a Q&A several weeks ago at the grammy museum), that was confirmed, but Glenn is a very….very close 2nd (and may even be worse). Felder’s and Frey’s selfishness and stubbornness canceled each other out, but both of those guys need to check themselves a little. However… it is Glenn’s band, and he said what he thought he had to say. If Felder had a brain, he would stop with the nonsense, end any lawsuits, maybe even reverse a couple in the past, and make an effort every 30-60 days until they crack and give it a try (which they will, because there’s money to be made, and people don’t go to see Steuart Smith…but the main lineup is a nice marketing tagline when almost everyone has already seen you in the last 7 years of touring).

Overall, I really liked it. True, from reading you may think otherwise, but that isn’t the case. It was fantastic. I’m just doing what I always do when reviewing something – take off the rose colored glasses and be honest.

Thanks all (let the flaming begin)
    Steve

Final Note - someone said earlier, there’s three sides to a story - his, mine and truth. We’ll never know the truth part, but its clear that all the players (Azoff and Geffen included) are not saints. In fact, some may even be considered a scumbag (or worse). They are musicians who impacted our lives and became a soundtrack to each of us.

They aren’t gods… but I can see the resemblance.
    Welcome Steve! I see nothing to flame here. Even though I think the world of Glenn Frey, I too felt Gibney and Ellwood could have included more "talking head" interviews from others as well. I mean, they interviewed Stevie Nicks and only showed her for five seconds during the credits?? She had significant relationships with both Henley and Walsh, but the quote they use is a generic one about how the Eagles inspired peope who knew them to be better musicians? Mmmmkay.

As for the credits, when I saw Dave Grohl's Sound City doc, they listed every person who appeared under "starring." It was cute. I don't know why Gibney and Ellwood didn't give any kind of acknowledgement to the people they interviewed in the credits. I haven't seen their other work - maybe that's the norm for them - but it was a bit strange. I mean, they list their freaking interns, some of which had some familiar last names, lol. They can't list the former members and people they talked to?

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    LONG time Eagles fan and was excited when I found out about the film. I was even more excited after I saw part 1! I cant believe they held out on that footage for so long!! I swear i thought they must have had nothing, since very little footage was known. AMAZING!

Ill write more later (after catching up on tread) including my story of what happened to me at the 1994 HFO show at Giants stadium.
    Welcome, Outlaw Man! I can't wait to hear your story!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    As for the credits, when I saw Dave Grohl's "Sound City" doc, they listed every person who appeared under "starring." It was cute. I don't know why Gibney and Ellwood didn't give any kind of acknowledgement to the people they interviewed in the credits. I haven't seen their other work - maybe that's the norm for them - but it was a bit strange. I mean, they list their freaking interns, some of which had some familiar last names, lol. They can't list the former members and people they talked to?
    Maybe because their names were on the screen as they interviewed? Just a guess, I have no idea how it all works, and I'm one of those horrid people who never watch the credits of any movie. I've always figured that I do my job and do it well and no one rolls my name on a screen in front of our customers!
    VK

Welcome, Steve and Outlaw Man!!! Nice to have you on board!
    VK