Page 14 of 273 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Documentary DVD

OK, I've made a lot of responses to other's comments but never really wrote what I thought of Part 2. I am so glad they spent some time on Hole In the World, and this is the part that made my eyes tear because my eyes tear every time I hear the song. You know how when you're really hurting over something and nearly bent double with it, sometimes a comforting hand on your shoulder speaks volumes and helps you feel better? This song is that hand on my shoulder for me. Kind of, "We've got the words you can't say." Jeez, I'm doing it again...

The interview that Joe did before rehab... Wow. Even reading about it in the reviews didn't prepare me for just how bad it was. It really hit me as I was watching that Joe went into rehab, he got out, they got back together. It seems like everyone else you read about has to go back to rehab several times. What an amazing feat to turn himself around and do it in one try. Even if the try to find his sober-self took a long time, he stayed dry while searching. I'm so glad our guys decided to get back together and I'm very glad they forced Joe's hand on cleaning up. Joe has added so much to my life since then, and I'm just a fan. His friends and family, I hope they appreciate just how hard that was.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Yes, me again. This has probably been discussed on here before, but I am watching Part 2 again. I knew that the Eagles signed with Geffen/Asylum for their first two albums and that whole fiasco. I knew that Henley signed with him for one or more of his solo albums and that didn't work out. But I just realized that HFO is with Geffen Records? Even in Part 2, Henley mentions what a mistake it was for him to go with him for the solo project. So HFO????
    VK

Where do I start. lol

Overall, I thought it was an amazing documentary. I loved seeing the footage, some of the stories and stuff you never heard before, etc.

Part 2 is where it started to go down the crapper for me. Seeing them construct GOI backstage/in rehearsal was AWESOME. It's the last Eagles song to come out that I really like.

The attitude Glenn has about the money issue is really off putting to me. I realize GF and DH are the songwriters, but his attitude and holier than thou puts me off to say the least. There is more to the Eagles than those two. I think some people would be ok with any lineup as long as it included those two. Randy and Bernie left on their own terms. The former members, Joe, and Tim contributed every bit as much IMO as GF and DH, just in a different way... It might be rehashing previous thoughts but DF brought them Hotel California. He didn't write all of it, but without him it would have ceased to exist. Considering HC is their biggest hit that everyone knows, I'd say they have a lot to be thankful for when it comes to DF.

The treatment of Felder from what I see/hear in this doc and what I read makes me very unhappy. Calling him an "asshole", "ungrateful SOB", etc is really not necessary. Yes, he said things he shouldn't have and perhaps done things he shouldn't have, but I feel that it was blown out of proportion by Glenn and Don. I think that Felder is no angel and I certainly realize that. Perhaps if he was more respected and appreciated, he wouldn't have had those things to say in the book and in the reunion and if he had been rightfully terminated and not try to cut him out, the lawsuit would never have happened.

As far as the firing, I don't believe he should have been fired. The whole "sign it by midnight or else" Glenn says in Part 2 really bothers me how he called him an asshole and hung up the phone on DF's manager. Really, really immature IMO. And how Glenn rehashed that in this doc is in poor taste IMO. They should have been more civil about the contract and talked a bit more professionally. If Felder still refused to sign, then replace him. But from what I heard in the doc, he signed it and then was later fired. That's wrong.

Yes, it was nothing we hadn't heard before, but the fact that GF still acts that way about it present day is petty IMO. I think the one that needs to "Get Over It", is Glenn.

JMO. I realize I will be the odd one out in this discussion but I also realize people have said things about Felder and his book and this is the way I feel about what I saw tonight. I still like Glenn Frey as a singer and love this band but as a person or a band member, I have to admit I am a bit taken back by this.

Go easy on me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm not going to make excuses for Glenn's tone or try to explain it away. To me, it seems pretty evident that Glenn doesn't feel he's done anything he needs to apologize for, and I'm not going to sit here and apologize on his behalf.

In fact, Glenn doesn't sound bitter to me; on the contrary, he sounds almost proud of the way he dealt with Felder. At the end, the last thing he says is how he feels the second time around, he's done a much better job as band leader and the only thing he regrets is not handling things better in the seventies.

By the way, Glenn said something that puzzled me (unrelated to Felder) - he said that he planned to do the HFO reunion for just three months, and before he left, he told his wife and children that he didn't know what the tour would do to him and that he might be unrecognizable when it was over. What do you think he meant by that?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Yes, me again. This has probably been discussed on here before, but I am watching Part 2 again. I knew that the Eagles signed with Geffen/Asylum for their first two albums and that whole fiasco. I knew that Henley signed with him for one or more of his solo albums and that didn't work out. But I just realized that HFO is with Geffen Records? Even in Part 2, Henley mentions what a mistake it was for him to go with him for the solo project. So HFO????
    That was part of Don Henley's settlement with Geffen Records; Geffen would let Henley out of his record contract and drop the $30 million lawsuit if the Eagles would release HFO on Geffen records/video.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    By the way, Glenn said something that struck me - he said that he planned to do the HFO reunion for just three months, and before he left, he told his wife and children that he didn't know what the tour would do to him and that he might be unrecognizable when it was over. What do you think he meant by that?
    First, I've heard before that when HFO came about and the reunion tour, they all thought that tour would be it and no more after that. As for the rest, his wife and kids and even pets grounded him. On tour, he would get constant feedback from fans and DJs and everyone about how great he is. On tour, assistants and such jump and meet his every request. At home, his young children's favorite word is 'no'. I assume since every young child seems to like that word. That's how I took it, hard to say if that's what he meant.
    VK

As for Glenn being harsh instead of Don, well, it would be difficult for Don to talk about it if he won't even say Felder's name... I do wonder if he refused to talk about it, or if the director just decided to not include it. I guess Henley talked about the VOL issue the most harshly and it was just Glenn's turn.
    Don Henley has said Felder's name plenty of times in this doc. The reason he wasn't the one relating the story is that he wasn't the one who made the call.

TBF, I'm sorry to hear you were disillusioned because Glenn spoke harshly, but I'm also a bit surprised. I didn't need a documentary to show me that Glenn can be as harsh as Don Henley when he feels it's called for.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    If Felder still refused to sign, then replace him. But from what I heard in the doc, he signed it and then was later fired. That's wrong.
    Go easy on you?? No way!! Seriously, Austin, even if I don't agree with all that you've written, I at least understand where you're coming from. The part I quoted above is the one part I don't. They didn't get into it the doc and perhaps they should have, as most who see it won't have read Felder's book for the details. However, he signed the contract and then continually (perhaps like water on a stone?) asked questions, doubted it, brought it up. For years. Then got his lawyer involved who sent a letter to Frey/Henley/Azoff. At least that's what he put in his book, as I recall it. If I'm mistaken, let me know. But if I remember correctly, it was the letter that made Glenn and Don decide they'd had enough and to let him go. They honored the contract he'd signed in 1994. Also, if I remember correctly, throughout his book he made mention of the fact that he either never read or never understood the contracts he signed...like it was anyone's responsibility but his. I suppose I should go back and reread the book, but it won't be tonight.
    VK

Go easy on you?? No way!! Seriously, Austin, even if I don't agree with all that you've written, I at least understand where you're coming from. The part I quoted above is the one part I don't. They didn't get into it the doc and perhaps they should have, as most who see it won't have read Felder's book for the details. However, he signed the contract and then continually (perhaps like water on a stone?) asked questions, doubted it, brought it up. For years. Then got his lawyer involved who sent a letter to Frey/Henley/Azoff. At least that's what he put in his book, as I recall it. If I'm mistaken, let me know. But if I remember correctly, it was the letter that made Glenn and Don decide they'd had enough and to let him go. They honored the contract he'd signed in 1994. Also, if I remember correctly, throughout his book he made mention of the fact that he either never read or never understood the contracts he signed...like it was anyone's responsibility but his. I suppose I should go back and reread the book, but it won't be tonight.
    Ah. I haven't read H&H for a couple years. I should reread it while the doc is fresh in my mind. I didn't realize it was that much of a back and forth thing.

I think I was naive prior to the doc. I knew it was bad, but had no clue how bad it really was when it came to the firing.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Don Henley has said Felder's name plenty of times in this doc. The reason he wasn't the one relating the story is that he wasn't the one who made the call.
    I guess I'm going to have to watch it AGAIN. Torture, I'm sure...

So when Glenn said 'we finally made the decision' he meant he and Irving?
    VK