Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you respond if an Eagle started replying to criticisms here?

Default How would you respond if an Eagle started replying to criticisms here?

I was reading this GNR fan forum where Axl Rose, as "Dexter", came out of nowhere and started posting on it, replying to his critics and then also to some fans on the message board. It was really interesting to see the board members' reactions and what they said to him.

How would you react if, out of nowhere, one of the Eagles or former Eagles started posting here to reply to things members (maybe even you) have said? For instance, what if Don Felder came on here and started replying to criticisms of his book? Or Don Henley started replying to criticisms about his attitude towards YouTube? Stuff like that. If you posted the criticism, would you immediately apologize or would you try to debate him? If you weren't one of the posters criticizing, would you make sure to let him know you agreed with him? Would you just stay quiet, your mind effectively blown? Would you take the convo in another direction - ask him unrelated questions, tell him how you feel about his music, etc.?

Let me make it clear that this is just a hypothetical scenario and one I have absolutely no reason to believe would ever happen, but I thought it would be interesting to envisage it despite its lack of likelihood. Any thoughts? Be honest!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: How would you respond if an Eagle started replying to criticisms here?

I guess it would depend on the criticism, the Eagle, and his reaction to it. Most of my criticisms, correct me if I'm wrong, are along the lines 'you guys are so good we want more'. More tours, longer shows, and just in case an Eagle is reading this, if Don could hurry his CD along that would be great!

Since I seldom if ever post things I don't mean (good or bad), I'd be more likely to apologize for my wording or tone. I might say I'm sorry they don't agree with me. Agreeing with them against another board member might be appropriate, but unlikely.

Mostly, I think I'd just fall over into a faint, and I probably wouldn't believe it's really them anyway.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: How would you respond if an Eagle started replying to criticisms here?

I'm really glad you brought this up, Nancy because fans prefer to hear it directly from the artist, not some manufactured version of what the press overhype or gossip columnists write to push their mostly irreverant and irrelevant points.

The amount of discussion on fan forums is generated by rumours and then information gets blown out of proportion; especially the really big ones such as Il Divo, for example. I don't know about Axl Rose's forum because I have never visited there and let's face it, the whole reason a forum is there is to sell the artist to the public via the PR machine and to gauge the responses of fans.

If an Eagle came on here in defence of criticisms I would answer honestly and sincerely because a sycophant I am not. I am well known over on the Il Divo forum for speaking my mind and quite frankly, I would welcome the opportunity to debate any issue with any one of the boys because I know they would do the same. I also respect their intelligence and consummate professionalism as musicians and would keep the discussion about that, unless they broached anything in their private lives which again, I would analyse and try to be as fair and honest as possible.

What is sadly lacking on fan forums today is the lack of respect for the artist/s' craft and I find that very demeaning, in terms of the hard yards put in and the amount of energy that is poured into interviews in the print and electronic media.

The real culprits here are the media who are the ones who fuel the need for artists to address criticism directly to fans when quite often it is unfounded.

So bring it on! I am a writer, former researcher and trained in various areas of the media so I have a healthy respect for a little debate and I especially prefer it from the horse's mouth! Judgement should be based on merit and truth and if it is not, it paints the musician in a bad light.

I couldn't wait to get started asking questions about their music because that is all that matters to me. I couldn't care less about their personal stuff or some of the tasteless gossip, I just want to know about their music and for the record, I give as good as I get

It would depend on the topic. I'm generally pretty shy and sometimes take things too personally, so if it was harsh criticism from one of the guys to something I said, I'd likely run and hide.

That said, I usually don't post anything that would be likely to prompt harsh criticism. I try to follow the "if you can't say something nice or at least constructive, don't say anything at all" rule. I also try to stay away from heavy-duty personal comments. If I like a picture, I might say so, but I don't usually go into intimate detail. Usually.

Now, if one of them opened up a conversation about their music, I'd be all over it. When it comes to how something is played, or how they came up with an idea, or what did they mean by that lyric, I would happily discuss it all day. I love hearing little anecdotes that give some insight into what went into the writing or recording of a song. That's why l like buying CDs instead of downloading. I'm a liner note junkie. One of the best things about No Fun Aloud and Strange Weather, IMO, are the little comments in the notes before each song. It gives a little insight into where Glenn's head was at when he was doing each piece.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Lightbulb Re: How would you respond if an Eagle started replying to criticisms here?

I think I would have to take the comment objectively in the context of how it was offered. I don't think I have ever criticised their music, either solo or group, but if one of them felt I had I guess I would try to explain where my criticism came from. And that it wasn't a personal criticism of the composer/singer(s).

If it was a policy criticism (the most conversation generated here would have been around the suits/no suits issue) I would read what they had to say and then perhaps reply in the context of what was said. But I would also comment again that it wasn't a personal criticism and would not mean to offend anybody. And that I'm sure the band and their management have reasons for the policies that they adopt and I would respect that.

It would really depend on the issue and the context.

If I thought I said or posted something on the Board that genuinely upset one of the Eagles, and he called me out on it I would apologise and offer to remove the post.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    I try to follow the "if you can't say something nice or at least constructive, don't say anything at all" rule. I also try to stay away from heavy-duty personal comments. If I like a picture, I might say so, but I don't usually go into intimate detail. Usually.
    My grandma drummed that into my head for thirty-five years and between that and the Golden Rule, I try to live my entire life that way. There are times I fail miserably at it, one of which is the Don Felder book review thread. Even if a person really means something, it doesn't mean it needs to be posted.

As for the second part of the quote above, WE, you don't need to comment in detail because we all know what you're thinking anyway
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I guess it would depend on the criticism, the Eagle, and his reaction to it. Most of my criticisms, correct me if I'm wrong, are along the lines 'you guys are so good we want more'. More tours, longer shows, and just in case an Eagle is reading this, if Don could hurry his CD along that would be great!

Since I seldom if ever post things I don't mean (good or bad), I'd be more likely to apologize for my wording or tone. I might say I'm sorry they don't agree with me. Agreeing with them against another board member might be appropriate, but unlikely.

Mostly, I think I'd just fall over into a faint, and I probably wouldn't believe it's really them anyway.
    This probably sums up my approach. I have strong opinions & I welcome debate. I would apologise if necessary. Most of my ongoing criticism concerns the setlist.

I'm such a chicken at heart...I'd run the other way...I don't know why because the internet is so anonymous...there are things I might want to ask...especially about song writing..ie inspirations, techniques...stuff like that...but probably would be too chicken...then again..I am surprising myself lately in a lot of ways...would like to think I could have a constructive discussion but would probably end up being "fan girl"...Oh I love you guys so much...you can do no wrong to me...that kind of stuff...yeah that's me...

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    As for the second part of the quote above, WE, you don't need to comment in detail because we all know what you're thinking anyway
    Aww, is it that obvious?

I have been critical occasionally, although of course I don't think unreasonably so, and hopefully it's fairly clear how much I love the guys! In such a situation, I think I would try to walk a thin line because I wouldn't want to back down but I wouldn't want to piss the guy off, either, or drive him away. I guess I would just take extra care with my wording - soften the edges a bit without taking away from the meaning. I would probably also be sure to remind him at the end of my post what a huge fan I am! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten