Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

There is a setting in iTunes that allows you to disable it automatically syncing with your iPod. It's what I use - I have over 4000+ songs on my iPod, which is seven years old now and has outlasted several computers. God forbid iTunes should wipe it!

Just be sure to change the setting in iTunes BEFORE hooking up your iPod.

Here's how to do it:

https://www.lifewire.com/stop-iphone-ipod-auto-syncing-itunes-2000145

When I want to backup those 4000+ songs as well as any other content to a new computer or an external drive, I have to use a third party software as Austin says (Apple's way of trying to force us to buy music solely through their service or otherwise have to re-buy / re-burn it every time we get a new device - and they wonder why people illegally download). The third party software I use is AnyTrans. I've been happy with it.

Once I've backed up the songs onto my PC with AnyTrans, I can put them on a new device.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

So, there's really no need for me to sync my ipod. I would lose everything already on it. Unless I get the other software. Ugh!

Does the free version work ok?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    There is a setting in iTunes that allows you to disable it automatically syncing with your iPod. It's what I use - I have over 4000+ songs on my iPod, which is seven years old now and has outlasted several computers. God forbid iTunes should wipe it!

Just be sure to change the setting in iTunes BEFORE hooking up your iPod.

Here's how to do it:

https://www.lifewire.com/stop-iphone-ipod-auto-syncing-itunes-2000145

When I want to backup those 4000+ songs as well as any other content to a new computer or an external drive, I have to use a third party software as Austin says (Apple's way of trying to force us to buy music solely through their service or otherwise have to re-buy / re-burn it every time we get a new device - and they wonder why people illegally download). The third party software I use is AnyTrans. I've been happy with it.

Once I've backed up the songs onto my PC with AnyTrans, I can put them on a new device.
    So if I want to add more to my iPod, using iTunes on the new computer, how would I do that? Would I need to use the software? Basically, I want to get what is on the iPod now onto the new laptop, so I can add more, without wiping the iPod clean and starting all over. (Ugh, technology...)

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    So if I want to add more to my iPod, using iTunes on the new computer, how would I do that? Would I need to use the software? Basically, I want to get what is on the iPod now onto the new laptop, so I can add more, without wiping the iPod clean and starting all over. (Ugh, technology...)
    Your iTunes will not wipe everything clean even if the files aren't on your computer if you've disabled auto-sync. It's the auto-sync feature that wipes anything that's not on your computer.

If all you want to do is add stuff to the iPod, then you just need to disable auto-sync on your iTunes. Once you've disabled the auto-sync, you can hook up your iPod without losing anything. Just follow the directions on the link:

https://www.lifewire.com/stop-iphone...itunes-2000145

Just be sure to disable auto-sync in iTunes BEFORE hooking up your iPod.

LOL, my bad, I thought my post to groupie from earlier today didn't get posted so I just replied again thinking it didn't get posted and realized just now that it was a new page and a completely new question, hahahahaha. I've deleted my post that totally didn't make any sense.

I will just say that Soda has the right idea for adding songs without removing any. On my computer it's called "manually manage". But to actually pull music from the iPod, you'd need software to do so.

I tried it and it didn't wipe everything clean, but it won't let me add anything. I want to add songs from a new CD I got. I got the music from the CD to the computer, and when I try to add it to the iPod, it doesn't work. Does it make a difference if I'm importing from a CD or downloading from iTunes? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I tried it and it didn't wipe everything clean, but it won't let me add anything. I want to add songs from a new CD I got. I got the music from the CD to the computer, and when I try to add it to the iPod, it doesn't work. Does it make a difference if I'm importing from a CD or downloading from iTunes? Thanks!
    It's because the library is different. To add music, it will need to be wiped. Also you need to turn on manually manage music, preferably before this all started.

And no, it shouldn't matter where you got the music. That iPod is tied to another iTunes library and all it can do is overwrite it at this point. I'd be careful about doing much if you want to not lose anything on the iPod that is missing on the computer. I'd hate to tell you wrong or have you do something and lose it all.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    It's because the library is different. To add music, it will need to be wiped. Also you need to turn on manually manage music, preferably before this all started.

And no, it shouldn't matter where you got the music. That iPod is tied to another iTunes library and all it can do is overwrite it at this point. I'd be careful about doing much if you want to not lose anything on the iPod that is missing on the computer. I'd hate to tell you wrong or have you do something and lose it all.
    Ugh, that's what I was afraid of...now I have to decide if it's worth it to wipe it clean and start over, with all 800 songs, to add the ones I want to add, or leave it as it is. (And I thought technology was supposed to make things easier??). Thanks!

I am able to add music to my iPod from an iTunes library that's on a new device without losing my old stuff, as long as it's not synced to any library (it can't be synced to an old one either or it will lose the songs when it hooks back up to the old one). I'm not sure what the problem is with your device. Try putting the songs on your computer, then on the iPod rather than directly from the CD. That's what I do. I also burn the CD through EAC (Exact Audio Copy) http://www.exactaudiocopy.de rather than through iTunes in case there is some kind of misguided copy protection restriction (I purchased it; I have a right to make a copy of it for personal use).

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I am able to add music to my iPod from an iTunes library that's on a new device without losing my old stuff, as long as it's not synced to any library (it can't be synced to an old one either or it will lose the songs when it hooks back up to the old one). I'm not sure what the problem is with your device. Try putting the songs on your computer, then on the iPod rather than directly from the CD. That's what I do. I also burn the CD through EAC (Exact Audio Copy) http://www.exactaudiocopy.de rather than through iTunes in case there is some kind of misguided copy protection restriction (I purchased it; I have a right to make a copy of it for personal use).
    Thanks, I'll try that. I had added songs from a CD to iTunes, plugged in the iPod, and it gave me the option to add, but wouldn't actually add it. This is so frustrating!