Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: computers

Brooke, I believe that I can answer your first question. One of my uncles did that about a month ago. He's about as computer illiterate as they come, and just did it. Then, he had all sorts of problems. I can't remember exactly what they were, but I believe that Windows would boot up, but he couldn't get a connection(he has wifi and a dsl connection), and he didn't have any icons showing up.
    Luckily, Windows offered a " free 30 day trial". If you weren't pleased, you could restore your old version of Windows. Between his brother and me, we managed to get it back for him after a few days of work. I honestly wouldn't recommend doing the free upgrade. I don't know how legitimate it is. If you wanted to buy Windows 10, that's different, but free stuff usually doesn't have everything that the regular version has. If you're happy with whatever OS (operating system) you have now, I suggest that you stick to it. I'm still running Windows Vista!

Your second question, I'm not sure about. I've never heard of something like that happening. I'd suggest looking at your Facebook's settings and see if it has an option like that.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks, AG! Kinda what I expected on the Windows 10 deal!

As far as the other, I've checked my Fb settings and I don't think I've changed anything!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

My next suggestion would be to go to the Facebook Community help page, and see if one of their professionals can help. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/help/community. Explain exactly what's happening. Hopefully, someone can help you figure out what's going on.
    -Kim-

Ok, thanks AG!

You're welcome. . Hope that you can get it fixed.

-----------

Ok, I'd like some opinions please. I've got 2 laptops and my phone.(both laptops are Dell and have Windows Vista and the phone is a Samsung galaxy s4) That's what I use for my internet. One laptop is my uncle's. It's about 10 years old, but works great. (I'm using it right now to post this) He doesn't have internet service at his house, so he lets me keep it at my house and he can use it if/when he needs to. The only problem with it is it's so bulky. 17 inch screens and weighs probably 10 pounds. It's not good for mobility.
    The other laptop is about 5 years old. My grandmother bought it (used) for me to use for school back in 2012. It had Windows 7, but it crashed, and there was no back up for it. My uncle had a Windows Vista disc, and he put that on there. The only problem was that some drivers didn't install right. I have no wifi capability on it. I use my phone(verizon) with its "mobile hotspot" to connect to the internet on other devices(like my uncle's laptop) and it's works great. Right now, my laptop is completely useless to me, though.

With the release of Windows 10, I know that support for Vista won't last much longer. My uncle and I have discussed this. He's wanting to get Windows 7 installed on both laptops. I'm in between. Because of the possibility of college next year, I'm thinking about asking my grandmother to help me upgrade to a newer laptop. Another possibility is to buy Windows 7 and get an internet device from Verizon. It plugs into a USB port and I could use my laptop with no problem. I know that for college, I'm gonna need more than my phone and my uncle's bulky laptop just wouldn't cut it. Right now, I use my phone for 90% of my internet needs(this site, Facebook, Last fm, email, Spotify, google searches etc).

I'm just trying to figure out what's best for me, but at a reasonable price. (budget reasons). I'd thought a tablet, but with my disability, I'd have a hard time using it.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Austin, I hope you're around and could answer a couple questions, or anybody else if they know!

I keep getting invites from Windows to get the free copy of windows 10. Should I if everything is going good as is?

And, all of a sudden I've started getting facebook notifications popping up when I'm online anywhere, even here, but I'm not on Fb. What have I done?
    With Windows 10 we resisted it until Monday when Mike installed it. We were then flooded with malware & it took him half a day to get rid of it. I then found that my own account settings remained as if we still had Windows 7 so I had to create a new account so of course I lost iTunes & had to reinstall it so lost all the play counts. What is now annoying me is that from time to time my Windows Mail states my account is out of date so I have to reenter the password. Overall I wouldn't say Windows 10 is that much of an improvement. The big changes is that Internet Explorer is now called Edge & they've taken half the settings away so you can't customise it.

Fp, what a pain! I'm glad I didn't install it!

AG, I went to the Fb community as you suggested and got an answer and it seems to have solved the problem! I think it turned out to be a content setting. How it got changed, I have no clue! But, so far all is good! Thanks!

You're welcome, Brooke. I'm glad that they were able to help you.
    -Kim-

I installed the free Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 3 weeks ago and I find it a huge improvement. 8.1 worked fine until recently when I became so fed up with it that I went ahead with the Windows 10 upgrade.
    Apart from getting used to the layout, I like it. I did have to reinstall itunes and a few other media players, but apart from that, have had no other problems. And it solved the problems I had been having with 8.1.
    I am finding it awkward though trying to get my bookmarks etc sorted on Edge but still have Chrome as backup.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Wow, I'm behind.

Brooke:

Answer 1: Don't upgrade if you are on 7, upgrade if you are on 8/8.1. 7 is better than 10, but 10 is better than 8 (IMO obviously).

Answer 2: You either have inadvertenly installed a Facebook browser plugin, or have some type of adware presenting you alerts. What browser do you run mainly?

AG:

I'd recommend getting rid of Vista. Vista and 8/8.1 are horrible, 7 and even 10 are way better.

The options as I see it is to upgrade the computer you have, but it's bulky and older.

Or buy a nice midlevel laptop with Windows 10 on it. Depending on your needs, you may be able to get something like an HP Stream laptop. I have the 11 inch model for travel but they make an 11 inch, a 13 inch, and a 14 inch. The 11 and 13 come in blue or pink (not kidding), but the 14 comes in silver which looks quite nice. The streams run browser and office apps fine. Video editing is a no go, as is intensive fancy games (not facebook type games but actual 3d video games). Otherwise for someone to haul around a campus, the Stream is a solid choice.

Hope that answers everything.