Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: computers

Thanks Austin! I got this computer a year ago in July. Windows 7. Same directions?

I wondered about screensavers and where is a good place to get them. I just set it to use my photos.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Got that fixed Austin! Thanks!

Now, when I go to some other sites, photobucket for example, down in the left hand bottom corner I get a square with a message in it that says:

"The media content is not shown properly. It is recommended to update your system player now.

Your system can't play media content and services properly. Make sure to download the short update and install as shown.

Update version M. Player 9.2"

Is this legit and should I do it? I'm scared to touch anything extra these days!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Got that fixed Austin! Thanks!

Now, when I go to some other sites, photobucket for example, down in the left hand bottom corner I get a square with a message in it that says:

"The media content is not shown properly. It is recommended to update your system player now.

Your system can't play media content and services properly. Make sure to download the short update and install as shown.

Update version M. Player 9.2"

Is this legit and should I do it? I'm scared to touch anything extra these days!
    Noooooo! That's adware/spyware.

Run your Malwarebytes scan when you have time. You shouldn't have any popups like that linking you to more malware.

Also you could run ADWCleaner, from Bleeping Computer that is an adware scanner.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    iTunes on a PC/Windows is a horrible experience. Apple needs to seriously revamp iTunes for both platforms but doubly so for a PC. It's buggy, confusing, and no one wants to use it. iTunes on a Mac is no walk in the park, but it's a lot more stable than the Windows version.

I'm about as big of a fan of Apple as someone could be, but I never agreed with the Steve Jobs mindset that in order to win, the other has to lose and that he always bashed other companies in his speeches and the new guy Tim Cook has carried on that tradition. They bash Google and Microsoft left and right. They need to let the products do the talking. They also need to give more attention to their Windows software. Microsoft has been great doing Office for Mac, it's about time Apple do the same for Microsoft.

Microsoft loaned them money to get up and running and bail them out in the late 90s when Apple was tanking. Yet, if you watch the interview on YouTube of Jobs and Gates, he referred to creating software for Windows users as "giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell".

I never understood Jobs's attitude and seeming lack of respect for everyone around him. Yet, his being a jerk and being a perfectionist is what saved Apple and brought them back and kept them on the right path. I'm not so sure that is present in Apple today. Steve was a visionary, an @ss too, but a visionary nonetheless. I don't agree with the way he handled things but he sure got the job (no pun intended) done.
    It's funny you mention iTunes on the computer because it mostly works fine for me. But what's happened is that my iPod has finally died after 8 years. So until I can get a cheap replacement MP3 player, given Apple no longer make iPods & I don't want an iPhone, I have discovered the joys of playing iTunes as I sit at the computer. I just heard Seven Bridges Road. I might clear some of it out. The next player I buy will probably only be 16GB so I have to be more selective about what I put on it (I do have music on the phone too). If I clear out a lot of stuff I'm not bothered about hearing on the computer we will save some space.

Stuck on the Border

FP - Apple still makes iPods, they just discontinued the classic model that had a ton of storage. Some news outlets didn't word it properly and made people think the iPod line was gone. Only the 160GB old style iPod is gone. You can get up to 64GB on a new iPod. But the old hard drive based iPods are a thing of the past. New ones are based on flash storage ala iPhones and iPads.

You can get a Nano or a Touch still. A Shuffle would be too small in capacity for your needs, and it doesn't have a screen.

A 16GB Nano would be $150 dollars (US). A Touch is an iPhone without the phone, but it can get on the internet, play video, hold photos, etc. A Nano is more true to an older style iPod with just music but I think it can hold photos too and maybe play video (albeit on a tiny screen). A 16GB Touch would be $199 dollars (US) and runs iOS.

Stuck on the Border

FP - Apple still makes iPods, they just discontinued the classic model that had a ton of storage. Some news outlets didn't word it properly and made people think the iPod line was gone. Only the 160GB old style iPod is gone. You can get up to 64GB on a new iPod. But the old hard drive based iPods are a thing of the past. New ones are based on flash storage ala iPhones and iPads.

You can get a Nano or a Touch still. A Shuffle would be too small in capacity for your needs, and it doesn't have a screen.

A 16GB Nano would be $150 dollars (US). A Touch is an iPhone without the phone, but it can get on the internet, play video, hold photos, etc. A Nano is more true to an older style iPod with just music but I think it can hold photos too and maybe play video (albeit on a tiny screen). A 16GB Touch would be $199 dollars (US) and runs iOS.
    Thanks Austin, this is helpful. Nano or Touch? Decisions. Not today, New Year's Day.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I have a little Nano (The one I had in LA and in Niagara Falls). Its 16Gb I think and has served me very well. I don't tend to use it as much as I have the phone and iPad now but its still pristine and has a good few years left in it. So I'd consider it a good buy.

How does one save pics on a mac - say if I want to download a photo from a forum here? It won't do 'right click - save' like I used to do on the PC
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Noooooo! That's adware/spyware.

Run your Malwarebytes scan when you have time. You shouldn't have any popups like that linking you to more malware.

Also you could run ADWCleaner, from Bleeping Computer that is an adware scanner.
    Thanks Austin! I was very skeptical about it! Will do what you suggested!

Got it straightened out, mostly! I did have to download Hitman and got more stuff to get rid of. Thanks Austin!

Everything is working good except one site I use a lot, Snapfish. I have most all of my pictures saved there. Now everytime I click on a picture a new tab pops up with some kind of ad. Anything I click on this happens. There are also ads on the site that are not there on my computer at work. The site works fine at work. Do I need to call them and see what gives there? I assume there might be a setting on my home computer that is wrong or something?

Stuck on the Border

I'd say you still have something on there...

You might check your browser extensions, especially in Chrome and Firefox as those aren't scanned often and make sure nothing funky got in there.

Otherwise, I'd use AdwCleaner - as you've already ran Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes which are what I use to fix computers. AdwCleaner is the ticket for the low-level adware threats. Let me know if you need any other help. I'd also suggest installing something like Unchecky so that when you install new software in the future, it doesn't sneak in adware.