Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

Quote Originally Posted by SallyGee View Post
    Thanks WW. At the risk of sounding dumb, what is retinal display?
    It means there are so many pixels the human retina can't discern them so the picture is great.

Thanks Walsh Fan

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

A couple of weeks ago my hard drive went bad in my two-year old laptop, and I was not a happy camper. Fortunately, I found a guy that replaced it and reloaded the software for $100. I even have DVD burning software now that I didn't have before. Not only that, I am thinking about buying another laptop or tablet and this guy sells new and rebuilt ones for a really decent price - a lot cheaper than retail value, so I'm going to go back and check to see what he has available.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    A couple of weeks ago my hard drive went bad in my two-year old laptop, and I was not a happy camper. Fortunately, I found a guy that replaced it and reloaded the software for $100. I even have DVD burning software now that I didn't have before. Not only that, I am thinking about buying another laptop or tablet and this guy sells new and rebuilt ones for a really decent price - a lot cheaper than retail value, so I'm going to go back and check to see what he has available.
    That's a pretty darn good deal. Did that include the new hard drive?

I do a lot of hard drive installs and that's a good price.

Just had two laptops in my shop today. One had a corrupted user profile and the other had a lot of malware to remove. Got them both done and returned same day and now I'm working on my own computer doing some spring cleaning.

This time of year is a great time to clean your computers. I personally reformat all of mine once a year. It's a lot of work but the speed increase is great. You can speed it up with CCleaner, etc but a complete wipe and reinstall is a great way to go. Just back up your stuff first! One thing I hate almost more than anything is a slow computer. I have a need for fast internet and fast computing and I find wiping the computer is a great way to go for me personally.

For most people I recommend downloading and running CCleaner and cleaning your junk files and registry. I also recommend defragging if you aren't on an SSD (most hard drives are not). Windows should automatically do this but every once in a while I still like to force a defrag and make it do the whole drive. I use Defraggler, also by the company that makes CCleaner. Also a great time to run a scan with your antivirus and Malwarebytes.

Yep - that included the same size hard drive that I had in it. The anti-virus software that he put on was the free crappy kind so I got virus when I reloaded my files. I had to do a system restore to get rid of the virus and I'm getting ready to reinstall my Webroot Security software. Otherwise things seem to be working great.

Yep - that included the same size hard drive that I had in it. The anti-virus software that he put on was the free crappy kind so I got virus when I reloaded my files. I had to do a system restore to get rid of the virus and I'm getting ready to reinstall my Webroot Security software. Otherwise things seem to be working great.
    Webroot is good... Just stay away from Norton/Symantec. I know VA has had good luck with it and NO AV is perfect but I've had sooooo many PC's in lately running Norton Internet Security that were infected with malware or ransomware.

I personally like Kaspersky Internet Security a LOT. ESET NOD32 is another fav. Webroot is good - better than most free ones. For free antivirus Avast is my favorite by a country mile. I put it on every PC that comes in that doesn't use Kaspersky or ESET. AVG is junk anymore IMO with it's heavy resource usage and poor detection and Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender just isn't good enough.

For me 90 percent of the time I use Avast or Kaspersky for client PCs. ESET is hard to find in stores so Kaspersky is what most use for a paid antivirus.

I bought Kaspersky when I purchased my laptop. But when it ran out, I took it to Best Buy to repurchase it and they actually recommended Webroot. I actually don't have any complaints about either so far.

I bought Kaspersky when I purchased my laptop. But when it ran out, I took it to Best Buy to repurchase it and they actually recommended Webroot. I actually don't have any complaints about either so far.
    I'm sure they did - for lack of a better term, they are in bed with Webroot. They have a undisclosed buisness partnership with them. Webroot pays them to install it in the Geek Squad and they use their removal tools. It's not a bad product, it just wouldn't be my first choice. Wouldn't be my last though either.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'm sure they did - for lack of a better term, they are in bed with Webroot. They have a undisclosed buisness partnership with them. Webroot pays them to install it in the Geek Squad and they use their removal tools. It's not a bad product, it just wouldn't be my first choice. Wouldn't be my last though either.
    FWIW, when someone asks me which one I like, I always tell them Kaspersky. I don't need the antivirus, but it has worked extremely well for other family members. Webroot is mostly cloud based, so it doesn't hog up as much RAM as the other guys. It only takes a few minutes to fully install as well. I've never been "encouraged" to offer one specific product. All I do is be honest in my opinion.