Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

Haha we techs call it the PEBKAC error (Problem exists between keyboard and chair) . But yes, they sure like to make you go insane when they malfunction regardless of the cause.

OMG I'm going bonkers this weekend. My MacBook Air is in for a new hard drive (a recall affected it after warranty even). And I'm NOT used to typing on a touch screen (i.e. iPad, smartphone). I just found a Windows laptop so I can have SOMETHING to tide me over.

I have to have a keyboard and I hate sitting at a desk... Laptops have spoiled me. I sure hope the world doesn't go to tablets. I'd lose my mind. I love my iPad, I do. But not for typing and not for everyday use. I like it just for mobility and for going places but never as a main machine.

Do you use a stylus, Austin? I didn't think I wanted one, but Hubby got it for me shortly after we got our iPads and now I always use it, even on the keypad.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Do you use a stylus, Austin? I didn't think I wanted one, but Hubby got it for me shortly after we got our iPads and now I always use it, even on the keypad.
    I'll try that! Thanks!

I got my MacBook back! It's nice and working with a new hard drive. I have horrible keyboard withdrawls and I need to figure out something the next time I have to send it to Apple.

----

Also, as a word of warning - watch out for the new CryptoLocker virus on Windows. It will completely encrypt all of your files in your user folder and demand 300 within a day or you will lose all of your files. It's very important to practice safe surfing techniques, have a good antivirus, and also make sure you have backups. I've already dealt with this with a client and it's not fun.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I got my MacBook back! It's nice and working with a new hard drive. I have horrible keyboard withdrawls and I need to figure out something the next time I have to send it to Apple.

----

Also, as a word of warning - watch out for the new CryptoLocker virus on Windows. It will completely encrypt all of your files in your user folder and demand 300 within a day or you will lose all of your files. It's very important to practice safe surfing techniques, have a good antivirus, and also make sure you have backups. I've already dealt with this with a client and it's not fun.
    Thanks for the warning!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Thanks for the warning!
    YW.

It's really important to backup your files... This particular one is the nastiest form of ransom malware (ransomware) yet.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

----

Thank you Austin. Would Bullguard do as an antivirus? I still have to install it since I got the laptop back and must back up too. I'm not good at this sort of thing.......
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

How do we get this CryptoLocker virus? Does it come in an email? I had heard about it too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    How do we get this CryptoLocker virus? Does it come in an email? I had heard about it too.
    Several ways.

1) Email attachments (they are very realistic scam emails that look legit)
    2) Social networks - hijacked Facebook and Twitter links that are clicked
    3) Downloads that you download on the internet that are posing as the wrong thing. They may also do a "drive-by" download and if you go to a compromised site, it may install itself through an exploit in which you can't really do anything but hope and pray you have a backup and a good antivirus.
    4) USB stick/CD/etc - this is the rarest way to get it but still a possibility.