Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I did everything here you suggested and I still get a blank page when I click on a link from here and I can't print from the internet. Thanks for all your help. I guess I'll have to take it somewhere.
    Good luck. My guess is you will have to reformat and reinstall Windows 7. It's probably a corrupted file somewhere. When you reinstalled the latest IE, it should have fixed it. It wouldn't surprise me if a malware infection messed it up - even though the virus might be gone, the damage is done so to speak.

Another thing you might try is making a new user account, copying your personal folders over, and then deleting the corrupted account. That might fix the problem. Otherwise, I'd suggest reinstalling Windows entirely.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Another question for ya! (I'm sorry!)

I needed to update my Adobe Flash Player and it has gotten to a point and I can't get it to finish. A pop up window says "Please close the following programs to continue-Internet Explorer".

I don't have any window open with IE. I have closed everything...weather, itunes.......I can think of, but yet it still tells me this. ???
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Another question for ya! (I'm sorry!)

I needed to update my Adobe Flash Player and it has gotten to a point and I can't get it to finish. A pop up window says "Please close the following programs to continue-Internet Explorer".

I don't have any window open with IE. I have closed everything...weather, itunes.......I can think of, but yet it still tells me this. ???
    I think it ties in with your IE problems. Something is making IE run in the background when it shouldn't be.... If you've closed everything - then it's not right. If your Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro scans came up clean - then it's likely not a virus, but rather something else, or perhaps damage from a virus that was once on there.

If you don't want to mess with IE and don't want to send it somewhere right now, you could try Chrome or Firefox as an alternative browser that you could use Flash and click links in. My guess is the user account trick would work, along with running "Windows Repair" for fixing IE, but without me seeing it first hand, at this point after what you've tried I'm only guessing.

Unbelievable! I changed to Chrome and everything works fine. New windows aren't blank, printer prints.

Who knows what is wrong with my IE, but if Chrome will do it that's good enough for me!

Thank you so much Austin and VA! You guys are wizards! :hugs:

Unbelievable! I changed to Chrome and everything works fine. New windows aren't blank, printer prints.

Who knows what is wrong with my IE, but if Chrome will do it that's good enough for me!

Thank you so much Austin and VA! You guys are wizards! :hugs:
    I alternate between Chrome and Firefox. I prefer the look of Chrome but Firefox for whatever reason on my home internet is a bit faster at times, so I'll use it.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

HaHa, I know the answer to almost all computer questions..."Ask Austin"!!

I can't get the Flash plug-in to work for Firefox, so I mostly use Chrome and IE.

Brooke, I've had problems with IE being blank and also being a background task that never seems to stop, but it was one particular website that I went to and not all of them. It was trying to download an *.ica file that was needed for a process to run and I wasn't getting the little pop-up along the bottom that usually says 'Open', 'Save', 'View Download', or whatever it says. Rebooting didn't help, as the file would try to download again as soon as the computer booted back up. Your issue is probably something similar, and perhaps malware or something that would do this every time you open IE.

If you don't know of a trusted professional in your area, ask around. One thing I've always found helpful, perhaps ask the IT people where you work who they would take their computer to if they couldn't fix it themselves. Since you got Chrome to work, you aren't in any big hurry.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Va, yes, we have a company that does work on our work computers, so that's where I will take it if I have to.

Chrome seems faster to me too and I've been using it at work most often anyway.

Happy dance!

I still hateWindows 8! That's why I haven't been posting lately. I'm on my I pod now. I plugged my I pods into the computer to put some CDs on, and none of them show up. Someone told me it's because of Windows 8. Can that be? Austin ? Help! How much would it cost and how hard would it be to install Windows7?

Quote Originally Posted by SallyGee View Post
    I still hateWindows 8! That's why I haven't been posting lately. I'm on my I pod now. I plugged my I pods into the computer to put some CDs on, and none of them show up. Someone told me it's because of Windows 8. Can that be? Austin ? Help! How much would it cost and how hard would it be to install Windows7?
    You're not alone. Windows 8 is a horrible OS.

But no, that shouldn't keep your iPods from showing up. The thing to do is uninstall iTunes and reinstall it, or simply install it if it isn't already. Then it should work ok.

To get Windows 7, you would need a Full Version, and you would reformat the computer (erase the hard drive) and reinstall Windows 7. Also known as downgrading. The Windows 7 Home would cost $170, plus if you take it somewhere there will be a cost to have it done.

Thanks Austin. My library for I tunes shows up, but there's nothing that says sync your I pod. Strange.