Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

Try checking your tray icons on the taskbar and close anything out down in the tray.

Otherwise, proceed to reinstalling IE by copying and pasting that link and following those directions.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Will try. Thanks for your help Austin!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Will try. Thanks for your help Austin!
    You're welcome. OS/Software issues in Windows is my forte. I could do this stuff in my sleep..

If you run into more trouble with the resetting/installing let me know.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I did the first step that you posted about resetting IE and still getting a blank page when I click on a link.

Will try the next step tomorrow I guess. Gotta go to work and basketball tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I did the first step that you posted about resetting IE and still getting a blank page when I click on a link.

Will try the next step tomorrow I guess. Gotta go to work and basketball tonight!
    Okey doke.. Let me know how it goes.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Resetting Internet Explorer

1. Go to Control Panel
    2. On the left side, click "Large Icons"
    3. Find "Internet Options"
    4. Go to the Advanced tab
    5. Click "restore advanced settings"
    6. Click Reset Internet Explorer
    7. Put a check next to personal settings
    8. After a yellow box appears, close Internet Explorer
    9. Reopen IE
    10. Check for problem

--------

If problem persists:

Reinstalling Internet Explorer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...wide-languages

1. Go to that page and choose if you are running 32 or 64 bit, and then download it by choosing "Save". Remember what folder it's saved in
    2. Close Internet Explorer
    3. Open downloads folder and look for IE10.
    4. Double click IE10 installer and go through the prompts
    5. Restart when asked
    6. Check for problem
    Ok so I had to reinstall IE. Same thing. I click on any link here and get a blank page.

That's very odd.

At this point I would recommend two or three things.

1)

I'm still not convinced it's NOT a virus/malware.

Open IE, go to the Tools menu and choose "manage addons". In the toolbars and extensions on the left side, disable ALL addons by clicking on them one by one and choosing Disable. Restart IE and check for problem.

Go to www.malwarebytes.org and download the latest version. Install and update it, and run a quick scan. (Quick Scan is sufficient). Remove anything it finds by closing a white notepad window if it opens, and if not or after you close it, make sure you remove anything it finds.

Also, go to www.surfright.nl and download Hitman Pro (32 or 64 bit depending on what you have). Open it, when presented with an agree screen, click agree, then choose "one time scan" in the next window. Then scan the system. If it finds anything, click next, then click "Activate free license", and then click ok and next and it should remove the viruses. Then if it asks to reboot, do so.

2)

Now it's time to clean up and repair Windows.

Go to the start menu, and in the search box type "cmd" (without quotes). Right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

At the black box, type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes). Press enter. This will do a check to see if Windows is missing certain services or registry keys. This is NOT an in depth repair but can fix most things.

Check for problem.

3)

You at this point (provided you've completed step 1 and 2) have two options if you are still having trouble. You can reinstall Windows (from recovery provided with the PC), OR proceed to get help. Either with a local computer shop, OR from remote access. I do offer remote help for people if they are interested. Basically you download a program (Teamviewer), you run it, send me the number in an email/PM, and then I can see what the problem is and fix it, and then you delete the program and it isn't actually installed. I do this for free because I truly enjoy learning new things and fixing computers.

Other than that, I've tried everything I can think of without actually seeing it. I could recommend other things but I think they'd be hard to explain over text and could easily be messed up if not done right.

I'm having surgery tomorrow early afternoon, but should be home in the evening. Let me know how step 1 and 2 go and please let me know if you need help with remote support.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Also, make sure to restart after doing the virus scans! Forgot to mention that. It should ask you to but if it doesn't, do it anyway.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I thought of the malwarebytes and tried to download it which opened another blank page! Couldn't get that to work either!

I will try the above as soon as I get time. BB tonight! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    That's very odd.

At this point I would recommend two or three things.

1)

I'm still not convinced it's NOT a virus/malware.

Open IE, go to the Tools menu and choose "manage addons". In the toolbars and extensions on the left side, disable ALL addons by clicking on them one by one and choosing Disable. Restart IE and check for problem.

Go to www.malwarebytes.org and download the latest version. Install and update it, and run a quick scan. (Quick Scan is sufficient). Remove anything it finds by closing a white notepad window if it opens, and if not or after you close it, make sure you remove anything it finds.

Also, go to www.surfright.nl and download Hitman Pro (32 or 64 bit depending on what you have). Open it, when presented with an agree screen, click agree, then choose "one time scan" in the next window. Then scan the system. If it finds anything, click next, then click "Activate free license", and then click ok and next and it should remove the viruses. Then if it asks to reboot, do so.

2)

Now it's time to clean up and repair Windows.

Go to the start menu, and in the search box type "cmd" (without quotes). Right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

At the black box, type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes). Press enter. This will do a check to see if Windows is missing certain services or registry keys. This is NOT an in depth repair but can fix most things.

Check for problem.

3)

You at this point (provided you've completed step 1 and 2) have two options if you are still having trouble. You can reinstall Windows (from recovery provided with the PC), OR proceed to get help. Either with a local computer shop, OR from remote access. I do offer remote help for people if they are interested. Basically you download a program (Teamviewer), you run it, send me the number in an email/PM, and then I can see what the problem is and fix it, and then you delete the program and it isn't actually installed. I do this for free because I truly enjoy learning new things and fixing computers.

Other than that, I've tried everything I can think of without actually seeing it. I could recommend other things but I think they'd be hard to explain over text and could easily be messed up if not done right.

I'm having surgery tomorrow early afternoon, but should be home in the evening. Let me know how step 1 and 2 go and please let me know if you need help with remote support.
    I did everything here you suggested and I still get a blank page when I click on a link from here and I can't print from the internet. Thanks for all your help. I guess I'll have to take it somewhere.