Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
If there is anybody that likes The Confessor, I'd love to know, what it is that I'm missing.
I talk a bit about this on the first page. I'm not saying it's the best thing he's ever done - far from it - but I think it has more pluses than minuses.

The thing is, though, that people have such different tastes in what they like that what appeals to me may really turn off others. I can't convince somebody to like it when they don't. I can only explain why I do.

I find "Slow Dancing" to be the hottest song Joe's ever released in terms of sexiness, but maybe someone else isn't that impressed with his throaty overtures. I think "Rosewood Bitters" is moving and has a lovely melody, but that's all subjective. The title track is bound to be controversial; I like its epic scope and the sophistication of the well/water imagery, but it's quite a departure for Joe, and that might be unappealing to some. "15 Years" is simple but cool. "Good Man Down" is catchy and more traditional Joe material, and I enjoy that as well - lots of energy overall and a bit of wildness when he shifts to the "the boys just love it" and the similar shifts later (ie, "the boys stop talking", "the boys start shaking" etc.)

Even "Problems", which can get annoying, is a bit of an ear worm. "Bubbles"... again, a little annoying, but at least he's trying to say something. "Dear John"... somewhat dull, but there's some real emotion behind it.

"I Broke My Leg"... well... OK. This one is awful.

However, there's more to like than not on this album, I think.

I wonder if the track listing contributed to the disappointment of some fans. He led with the three weakest songs. Not the best way to engage the listener! I can see a lot of people getting bad first impressions that influenced the perception of the rest of the album. Nowadays it's not such a big deal, but back then, waiting eagerly for the new record to hit stores, buying it as soon as it's available, rushing home with it, excitedly putting it on the record player, and then hearing "Problems" followed by "I Broke My Leg" and "Bubbles" as the first cuts... yikes.

If The Confessor was the first Joe Walsh album I'd bought, I'm sure I'd never have become a Joe Walsh fan.
That's fair enough. This album is not the Joe of the 70s that most people fell in love with. I still don't think the album is bad, though.