Quote Originally Posted by BBKron View Post
When Bernie Leadon left the Eagles in 1975, another decision would affect the Talbots — one based on their Christian backgrounds.
The Talbots were drifting toward the Jesus Movement. John Michael said, “It was left up to (Eagles members) Don Henley and Glenn Frey. Glenn wanted us to join the Eagles. He knew how good we were and thought it would be cool.
“Frey was the one who said, 'I can’t cut all that Jesus stuff.’ ... So they wound up hiring Joe Walsh — and the Eagles became a rock ’n’ roll band.
Well - the reason I asked to see what had been written or said is about this is because I have read every book that has been published about the band (at least, that I am aware of) and I have also never heard any mention at all of this. Every account I have ever read is pretty much the same ...

During the last few months/weeks that Bernie was in the band, it was becoming increasingly apparent that his days with the band were numbered. After the "beer over Glenn's head" incident in early December '75, that pretty much sealed Bernie's exit. On December 20, 1975, the announcement came in a press release from Irving Azoff that Bernie was leaving and was going to be replaced by Joe. So Joe had been approached beforehand. Glenn was the one that was adament about Joe being Bernie's replacement, while Henley was rather reluctant to bring Joe in. But with Glenn and Irving (who managed Joe as well) both pushing for Joe, they won out.

Don Felder's account in his book 'Heaven and Hell' is consistent with this. He writes on Page 154, "No other candidates were suggested, and Joe Walsh was given his greatest Christmas present on a plate - membership in the Eagles".