Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Artists of the Decades

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Artists of the Decades

When I was searching for something on the board, I came across the picture of the Eagles when they were named RIAA Artist of the Century and it gave me the idea for this thread.

Who would you name as your top musical artist for each decade? Since the birth of rock and roll as we know it was in the 50's, we can start there and go through the first decade of this century. Wow - I can hardly believe that we have already completed more than a decade in this millennium, but I digress. I based my choices not on who my favorites are, but primarily on the artists’ influence and longevity. Some were easy choices, and others were a bit more challenging. When I get more time, I may even try to come up with my top 5 or 10 artists for each decade. Anyway, I know my list may be controversial in some cases, but here's what I came up with ...

1950's - Elvis Presley

Who else can it be, really? I'm sure you could make a good case for a few other very influential rockers like Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly. But, if you can only pick one, for me, it has to be the King of Rock and Roll where it all started.

1960's - The Beatles

Pretty much the same comments as above. Who else can it be, really? You also have to give honorable mention to The Rolling Stones for their longevity if nothing else, and there were quite a few other very influential artists in this decade. But, The Beatles are probably the most influential rock and rock artists of all time. It's hard to imagine anyone coming along that will bump them from their pedestal for a pretty long while.

1970’s – Eagles

This was a decade of incredible, influential music of many variations and genres of rock and roll, which makes the choice not quite as clearcut. The 70’s were when artists took the foundation laid by Elvis and The Beatles and really experimented with many musical styles. The music of 70’s may have had a larger collective impact than any one act. To pick a single artist, you have to consider Led Zeppelin, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, The Bee Gees, and Bruce Springsteen. I’m sure I’m leaving out some others, but these are the ones I thought of off the top of my head. So, while I admit that I’m biased, my choice is for the band that sold more records than any other artist of the decade, the band that gave country/California rock mass appeal, the band that most successfully melded all the musical genres together, the band that had the most influence on the country/pop music of today, and, yes, the RIAA Artist of the 20th Century – America’s greatest band … the Eagles.

1980’s – Michael Jackson

Again, this decade had a lot of great artist, including Madonna, U2, Bon Jovi, Journey, and Def Leppard to name a few off the top of my head. However, the King of Pop gets my vote simply because he is simply the biggest of many amazing acts that Motown produced. He also helped pioneer the music video age.

1990’s – Madonna

I know that Madonna is closely associated with the 80’s, but she is my choice for the 1990’s because she was a close runner up to M.J. in the 80’s, but her much of her influence and popularity carried over in to the 90’s. She has also proven herself to be very multi-talented. Plus, who in the 90’s was bigger – Nirvana, R.E.M., Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson?

2000’s – Beyonce Knowles

It may be too soon to try to select a single artist from this decade because maybe the dust hasn’t settled yet. Some of the candidates that come to mind off the top of my head are Green Day, Eminem, Lady Gaga, and Cold Play. But, I’m not sure we know what the lasting influence of any of these artists is yet. I choose Beyonce because she is a carryover from the 90’s with Destiny’s Child and because she is multi-talented and about the biggest name around right now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Artists of the Decades

I'll be boring and tell you I agree with your choices, except for perhaps the 90's and 00's. I moved into Country music around 1990 and stayed there until the mid 00's, when I listened to Classic Rock and Contemporary Christian exclusively. So I'm not familiar with popular artists after 1990.

I will say that Alabama, as cross-over country, should get an honorable mention for the 80's. Judging by concert sales, Kenny Chesney should get an honorable mention for the 00's.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

To me 'Artist of the Decade' should be the artist who singlehandedly defined what that decade was all about, and this should not really be based on personal preference. I really can only give two outright choices - Elvis Presley for the 50s and the Beatles for the 60s.

Much as I love the Eagles and despite their worldwide success they are still thought of by English critics in particular as representative of one genre, country rock, rather than all rock music. While this may be unfair, I would have to go with either Led Zeppelin or Elton John for the 70s.

I don't really think any one artist dominated the 80s but I suppose Michael Jackson would come close. As for the 90s and 00s in my opinion there was no domination by anyone at all and I would rather not make a choice. I would grudgingly nominate U2 as a possiblilty, but as I personally dislike them, I would go no further than that.

Dreamer, I agree with most of your choices, but I'd have to disagree with the 90's and 00's as well. Madonna's heydey was the 80s; she had a few hits in the nineties, but the rest of the time was spent with her weird sex book and movies. Most people, when they think of Madonna, think of "Material Girl" and "Like a Virgin"; her nineties material has already pretty much faded from memory for the general public. Who here knows even one chorus of a nineties hit of Madonna's? I do, but even I would be hard-pressed to sing the chorus of more than three.

I think the nineties are best defined by groups like Nirvana or Pearl Jam who brought something new to the table rather than carry-overs like Madonna, Janet Jackson, or (as much as I love them) U2. Plus, a group like Nirvana is a heck of a lot more influential than the likes of Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, despite their sales figures.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well, Dreamer, you've certainly started a wonderful topic for debate!

I agree wholeheartedly and completely with your choices for the '50s, '60s and '70s, because those are, in that order, my favourite artists of all time!

I agree with your choice of Michael Jackson for the '80s, purely because I think he made an enormous impact, especially with his album, "Thriller", and the sheer mania that followed him around everywhere he went. I'm not really a fan, but I have to respect the fact that he was talented, and influenced a lot of other artists.

I don't really have a choice for the '90s or '00s. I'm not a fan of the music from these eras, except for a few songs here and there that I like, listen to and sometimes perform. I will therefore accept your selections.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I would definitely agree with Elvis and The Beatles for the 50's and 60's.

I'd probably have to say that Led Zeppelin would be my choice for the 70's even though I love the Eagles much more and they were my favorite. Or what about CSN & Y? They were probably more 60's I guess.

Michael Jackson definitely for the 80's. Garth Brooks and Alabama certainly made history in country music too.

90's or 00's? Don't have a clue.

Taylor Swift is certainly the darling of country music now.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Brooke, C,S,N & Y didn't get together until 1969, so they made their mark in the early 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    To me 'Artist of the Decade' should be the artist who singlehandedly defined what that decade was all about, and this should not really be based on personal preference.
    FP, I agree with you on this point; however, there are some decades where maybe a single artist didn’t solely define what the decade was about as I said in my earlier post about the 70’s. The 1990’s and 2000’s may be that way as well. Based on everyone's comments here, maybe we do need to let the dust settle a bit more before we can really evaluate these last two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Much as I love the Eagles and despite their worldwide success they are still thought of by English critics in particular as representative of one genre, country rock, rather than all rock music. While this may be unfair, I would have to go with either Led Zeppelin or Elton John for the 70s.
    That’s exactly why I seldom pay much attention to critics – they usually don’t know what they’re talking about. Many of them seem to have this weird notion that if it’s not hard rock, then it’s not rock and roll. As I said before, IMO, a large part of the Eagles’ legacy is that they were the most successful at closing the gap between many musical genres.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Dreamer, I agree with most of your choices, but I'd have to disagree with the 90's and 00's as well. Madonna's heydey was the 80s; she had a few hits in the nineties, but the rest of the time was spent with her weird sex book and movies. Most people, when they think of Madonna, think of "Material Girl" and "Like a Virgin"; her nineties material has already pretty much faded from memory for the general public. Who here knows even one chorus of a nineties hit of Madonna's? I do, but even I would be hard-pressed to sing the chorus of more than three.
    Soda, I appreciate what you’re saying about the 90’s, but can’t really agree with your comments here. To me, Madonna wasn’t just a carryover from the 80’s. She continued to reinvent herself throughout the 90’s and produced some of her most influential work including "her weird sex book and movies". I’m not saying her 90’s work is better or more well-known than her 80’s hits, but it was just as relevant, if not more, IMO. In addition, she proved herself capable of very fine acting and singing performances in the rock opera, Evita.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think the nineties are best defined by groups like Nirvana or Pearl Jam who brought something new to the table rather than carry-overs like Madonna, Janet Jackson, or (as much as I love them) U2. Plus, a group like Nirvana is a heck of a lot more influential than the likes of Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, despite their sales figures.
    I’m one that happens to think Nirvana is highly overrated. They may have brought something new to the table, but the brevity of their existence and catalog does not convince me that they are worthy of all of the accolades that are always bestowed upon them, and especially not the “Artist of the Decade”. I may have felt differently if the band had regrouped and continued to produce some ground-breaking music after the death of Kurt Cobain.

So as I said in my first post, if not Madonna, then who? The reason that I chose her in the first place is because I really couldn't make a strong case for anyone else. So, if not Madonna, then I’d be inclined to say that no artist single-handedly defined music in the 90’s. But, of course, as always, this is JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Michael Jackson definitely for the 80's. Garth Brooks and Alabama certainly made history in country music too.

90's or 00's? Don't have a clue.
    Brooke - Garth Brooks actually had most of his success in 90's I believe. I did consider him as a choice, but I had a hard time convincing myself that his music was that ground-breaking or influential. It definitely sold records though. Personally, I think Shania Twain was more influential in the 90's than Garth Brooks, but again, I can't say either should be called the "Artist of the Decade". I'm interested to hear what others have to say on all of this.