Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Henley the guitar man?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Henley the guitar man?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey View Post
    This is probably a stupid assumption, but I wonder if there is a chiropractor or physiotherapist who can help Don with his back pain? I'm sure he has already looked into this, but I still wonder. Chiropractors can do wonderful things for backs - I speak from experience.
    Mrs. F - according to the Farewell I DVD and tour book credits, the band does employ a chiropractor or massage therapist to accompany them on the road. IIRC, Don has had a chiropractor work with him since he began having back problems in the 70's.

Brooke, I agree with you that it would be sad to see Don have to give up drumming completely, but for me,I would still want the band to continue even if it did come to that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I think Don has mentioned that he has less back pain since he took up yoga (years ago). Hopefully he will be able to keep playing for a while, even if he cuts it down a bit. I hope thought that if that happens the fans and audience accept that and appreciate what they are still getting.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Mrs. F - according to the Farewell I DVD and tour book credits, the band does employ a chiropractor or massage therapist to accompany them on the road. IIRC, Don has had a chiropractor work with him since he began having back problems in the 70's.
    Thanks for that, Dreamer - I knew I was being silly to think that Don hadn't looked into this. Now that you mention the credits of F1, it rings a bell. I've probably noticed it before, and forgot again.

I really feel for Don. He is obviously passionate about his music, including his drumming. I cannot imagine how awful I would feel if I developed arthritis in my hands, for example, and was no longer able to play guitar, or had to cut down on playing.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

It would be sad, but if it came to Don concentrating on singing rather than drumming or Don retiring completely, I'd choose the former.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

It's been well documented for quite a few years now that Don has had trouble drumming, and whilst I agree he 'holds his own' with a guitar - let's be honest - he's not the best...(I think he'd be the first to admit this)..........that is Absolutely no disrepect to Don whatsoever, I'm sure a lot of you know 'I Love Him To Bits' but to be honest some of those "performances" where it was SO obvious that he was just 'acting' were embarrassing!
    However..... I for one will be be MORE than Happy to see him performing in whatever capacity for many more years to come!
    Love You Don!
    Last edited by tequila girl; 01-12-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

TG - I agree with what you are saying here, and I know that guitar isn't Don's strong suit; however, I can't recall seeing any performances of Don acting instead of playing the guitar. I'm not doubting you, but I'm not sure it was all that obvious to an untrained eye such as mine. Can you recall any video that shows what you're talking about so I can check it out?

I just started reading this thread regarding Don's guitar playing & drumming. I agree it's been well documented that Don has had these back problems for a long time. I believe in one of the Eagles books, (may have been Felder's) that a special mattress was taken on a tour for Don, as well as a massage therapist. That said, I really don't mind that Don doesn't play much on the drums on the live shows. I actually like seeing him up front. I also hear that it is more difficult to sing while playing the drums, because of all the movement.

I do think that Don can play guitar. As a songwriter, I think this is almost a necessity. Writing the lyrics to a song, I think one would need that unless he plays the piano, which I'm not sure if he does or not.
    When Don is on drums, you can hardly see him from the audience. I would rather he concentrate on his vocals, rather than the drumming. I don't think he is "Faking it" when he's playing guitar, but his part is more scaled back. He even plays the moraccas ( I need spell check here) at times.
    Bottom line: I like Don up front, guitar or whatever!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I saw this on Steve Winwood's FB page today and immediately thought of Don. This guy is in for a bunch of back pain in his future. Lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E[/ame]
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Forget back pain - Don would be on the floor gasping for air from the exertion! I mean look at 4:23! lol

It does remind me of the James Gang's drummer, though. Man, he WORKED IT. Check it out - for example, about 1:15.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EdWQ8hX4Ik&feature=BFa&list=PL8D5446FB36A 85922&lf=results_main[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Yep - the James Gang generated some awesome music for a three-piece band that's for sure!