Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Eagles put out a Christmas album

Default If the Eagles put out a Christmas album

Haven't seen a thread on this topic, although it could be here somewhere. Unlike so many artists, our boys have never seen their way clear to put out a holiday album, something I believe would be a huge success. So the question is this: IF they were to record a holiday album, what songs -- traditional or popular -- would you like to hear them sing? And while we're at it, who would you like to hear sing lead and why?

My first choice would be "I'll Be Home For Christmas" with Timothy singing lead. I have no doubt he could handle the range (similar to ICTYW) and think he would lend a huge dose of that "blue-eyed soul" we love.

Second would be Don singing "The Little Drummer Boy". Aside from the fact that he is our little drummer boy, he would sing this with so much heart it would bring tears to my eyes.

Third, I can close my eyes and see Joe doing the all-time greatest version of "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree". Need I say more?

And last, but certainly not least, Glenn singing "The Christmas Song" (you all know this....'chestnuts roasting on an open fire'....). He's got the perfect voice for that song.

Talk about making my holidays complete! I wouldn't care if I had anything under the tree if I had Don, Glenn, Timothy and Joe singing thru the yuletide season.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: If the Eagles put out a Christmas album

I think of this almost every year! A Chuck Berry-sounding Run Run Rudolph. Any songs that feature their amazing ability to harmonize. And of course, original material that would become an instant standard. These guys could make a new song and have people scratching their heads 'trying to remember' who sang it originally. They're that good.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

"The First Noel," with gorgeous 4-part harmonies and sparse acoustic guitar. Like "No More Walks in the Woods" but more melodic.

Stuck on the Border

I'm sorry, but the Eagles are a rock band, and rock bands don't release Christmas albums. If this is a minority opinion, OK, but I'm afraid I would be completely against it. They did one Christmas song & surely that was enough.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm kinda with Fp here. I don't know if I can even imagine the Eagles doing a Christmas album either. Of course, they certainly have the voices for it. I just can't see them doing it.

I do love Please Come Home For Christmas though.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I can't imagine a whole Christmas album (besides, there are SO MANY out already!!).

I would love to hear them do ONE more Christmas song, though. They could release it as a single. Probably with Tim or Glenn singing lead & LOTS of harmony.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

An entire Christmas album, I can not imagine too!
    I like Please Come Home For Christmas but this one song is enough for me!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Victim of Love View Post
    Haven't seen a thread on this topic, although it could be here somewhere. Unlike so many artists, our boys have never seen their way clear to put out a holiday album, something I believe would be a huge success. So the question is this: IF they were to record a holiday album, what songs -- traditional or popular -- would you like to hear them sing? And while we're at it, who would you like to hear sing lead and why?

My first choice would be "I'll Be Home For Christmas" with Timothy singing lead. I have no doubt he could handle the range (similar to ICTYW) and think he would lend a huge dose of that "blue-eyed soul" we love.

Second would be Don singing "The Little Drummer Boy". Aside from the fact that he is our little drummer boy, he would sing this with so much heart it would bring tears to my eyes.

Third, I can close my eyes and see Joe doing the all-time greatest version of "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree". Need I say more?

And last, but certainly not least, Glenn singing "The Christmas Song" (you all know this....'chestnuts roasting on an open fire'....). He's got the perfect voice for that song.

Talk about making my holidays complete! I wouldn't care if I had anything under the tree if I had Don, Glenn, Timothy and Joe singing thru the yuletide season.
    VOL - First of all, I agree with others that I really wouldn't be all that jazzed about an Eagles Christmas album. But it is fun to speculate anyway. As I read your post, I got a good laugh because I started a thread last Christmas about Eagles Christmas covers. In my post in that thread, I suggested Glenn for I'll be home for Christmas and Tim for The Christmas Song - exactly opposite of you. I think we are both right here though ... I mean if both Glenn and Tim can do awesome versions of Caroline No, then they could both surely do justice to these Christmas songs.

Here's my post from that thread with my thoughts for Don and Joe as well ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I got to thinking about this as I was reading the Christmas Countdown thread. Since the only Christmas song we have from the Eagles is the gorgeous Please Come Home for Christmas, I was wondering what other Christmas songs folks might think would be well-suited for each of the guys to sing. I’m only including the current lineup in my answer, but you can include whichever current or former Eagles you’d like in your answer. So, here’s mine:

Glenn – I know Glenn could do an awesome version of I’ll Be Home For Christmas with all that yearning vulnerability in his voice. I thought of others, but I'll stick to one song for now.

Don – The first song that came to my mind is Santa Claus Is Back In Town. I’m thinking this is perfectly suited for Don’s voice. I bet Don would sound awesome.

Timothy – I’ll bet Timothy would sound great singing The Christmas Song. I can think of a lot of songs that he could do, but I chose this since it is one of my traditional favorites.

Joe – I would love to hear Joe do a rendition of I Believe In Father Christmas. I’ll bet he could come up with a rocking arrangement that featured some mean guitar work.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

If they were ever performing solo shows at Christmas, they could do a one-off... but then we wouldn't get all the lovely harmony they do together.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

I TOTALLY respect all of the comments and can understand where everyone is coming from. And while I may be the one in the minority here -- to think they could pull it off -- please keep in mind that this is strictly hypothetical.

But let's face it, ladies...if you were sitting front row at an Eagles concert tonight and they devoted an entire segment of their show to holiday tunes, I seriously doubt anyone would walk out. I certainly wouldn't. Again, strictly hypothetical.

In any event, best wishes to all for a very Merry Christmas, a safe and Happy New Year and all things wonderful (including a few Eagles shows) in 2012! I love all of you.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love