Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Happy 5th Birthday to The Border!

Default Re: Happy 5th Birthday to The Border!

I love reading your stories, guys!

Some more trivia:

Number of people to transfer from Flip City to start the Border: 22

First three members to join once we became The Border: freygirl, Randy's girl, and Maleah

Time it took us to reach 1000 members: Four and a half years

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy birthday to The Border!

When I signed up here three and a half years ago I didn't think I'd ever post actively. I only intended to post once . It was over a year after I signed up before I visited the site again. I had heard Timothy had a new album coming out and was debating whether to get it or not. I decided to come back here and see if anyone was talking about it. When I saw how excited everyone was about the new album coming out I got excited about it too. That's when I started visiting The Border everyday. Then a year and a half ago I found some pictures of Randy that I thought needed to be shared and I've been posting actively every since.

I've made several friends on this site. I haven't had a chance to meet anyone in person yet but that looks like it may change next year

Thanks for starting the site Soda

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First things first ...

HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY TO THE BORDER!!!

As I read through this thread, I continue to be amazed at how this message board has affected so many lives all around the globe, icluding my own. I remember Nancy and I talking about this five years ago when The Border first opened. We knew that we could have a really good message board for Eagles fans, but as Nancy said, we had no idea that it would grow as much as it has. It's still not a huge board compared to some, but we've come a long way for sure. As Nancy said, in December 2006, there were 22 members that were transferred over from Flip City. I just happen to have a few numbers to share with all of you to show how we've grown over the last 5 years ...

2007 - 103 members total (I remember how exicited we were to reach 100 members before the year ended.)

2008 - 244 members total

2009 - 508 members total (Again - total excitement over reaching 500 members before year end.)

2010 - 882 members total

2011 - 1309 members and counting

As everyone else has said, we are very grateful to you Nancy for your time and talent that you invest in this board. And also, of course, to all the members and site visitors who help keep this a fun, informative, and active community for Eagles fans.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I think it says volumes that so many early members are still here!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

A Very Happy 5th Birthday to The Border! Thank you to Soda and all of the mods for your passion and dedication in running this community.

I have said numerous times how much this board means to me, and how grateful I am to have met so many wonderful people from around the globe, both virtually and in person. I have had the pleasure of sharing awesome concert experiences with Peekaboo, Soda, henleyfan, PLS, ticky and Wildthyme, and I am in constant contact with GA on the BlackBerry! I'm sure it is only a matter of time until we meet IRL. I also count some of those I haven't even met as some of my very best friends. The support and love that I have gotten from the members here is amazing. We do not only share our love of the Eagles, but we share the important, momentous and trivial moments in our lives - and that creates very strong and very real bonds.

It is amazing to think that, without The Border, I would probably still be dreaming of going to America for the first time. And still dreaming of seeing the Eagles live! I have been given so many opportunities because of this message board, and I am truly thankful. Who knows - maybe I have also found romance because of it, too!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I've done a little math for some additional stats:

Number of members Stuck on The Border - 29
    Number of Border Troubadours - 3
    Number of Border Rebels - 11
    Number of Border Desperadoes - 40

ETA: I included the Mods when I calculated these numbers. I just factored them into the four categories based on post count.
    Last edited by whitcap; 12-15-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

To continue with the theme of "5" for our Border birthday celebration, I thought of an old thread we started when Soda converted the board to the vBulletin software that is used now. We raved about all of the awesome features that this software offers compared to what she had used in the past. Here is a link to the thread if you'd like to read the whole thing ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=984

I thought I'd list my 5 favorite features (along with the comments we made about them in the thread) that I use a lot because some folks here may not even be aware of some of them ...

On the top menu of the board, there is a link called "New Posts." That lists all the threads that you've visited which have had new posts since your last log-in. It's handy to have them all in one place, rather than having to click on different forums.

Calendar feature
    I love this feature - it is uber cool. We had the birthday feature on the old board, but in addition to member birthdays, this is where the admin or moderators can put up all kinds of events and reminders. For example, we could use it to put up important news events about the band or a reminder that something important is happening on a certain date. Soda already has one up today signifying today as the official opening of the new board.
    Note: Little did we know then how much we would use this. Soda even customized a "Today in Eagles History" calendar too . Both can be accessed by clicking the "Calendar" link on the top menu.

Switch Editor Mode feature
    When you are replying to a post, Soda changed the default to the WYSIWYG view. However, if you want to see the tags, you can click the 'A' button in the upper right corner to change the view.

Archive feature
    Down at the bottom of the page, there is an Archive button that gives a really helpful view of all of the threads on the board.

Quick Style Chooser feature
    This drop-down menu on the bottom of the page enables you to switch back and forth between styles instantly.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I was the first member of this board after Soda herself (it goes back further, because I was one of the original members of Flilp City) and all I can say is it has been an honour and a privilege to have bee here ever since.

I always thought that I would never meet any Borderers because of where I live, but of course I finally did get to meet Soda, Dreamer, PLS, TF, HH, GA & GL last August when we had such a wonderful time. I still hope that perhaps we may be able to do that again, although I don't wish to get carried away.

Happy birthday to The Border, my homepage & favourite website ever!!!

The friends we make are the best part, for sure!

I've been very luck to meet many Borderers "in real life," even if only briefly.

Looking at the member list, here are the folks I've met in person:

canadianladydi
    carol7lynn
    cheryl
    DonFan
    EaglesFanatic
    forscarlett
    Freypower
    glenneaglesfan
    GlennLover
    Glennsallnighter
    henleyfan
    Henley Honey
    Henleyhound
    Ive always been a dreamer
    JustAHiredHand
    luvthelighthouse
    Maleah
    MizCB
    Molly
    Peekaboo
    Perfect Little Sister
    PinkCoatGirl
    Prettymaid
    RamboIV
    RebeccaLovesEagles
    rickmullen
    Screamin' Eagle
    scottfan
    scully6
    ticky
    Tiffany Twisted
    timfan
    TimothyBFan
    Toonlass
    Troubadour
    VAisForEagleLovers
    Wildthyme
    Witchy Mummy
    Z
    zermie

If I've forgotten anyone, sorry - I'm a bit rushed! However, I want to reiterate how privileged I feel meeting each and every one of you!

And I look forward to meeting more as time goes on!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

CONGRATULATIONS & HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BORDER

I'm so glad I joined & I'm pretty new here, but I do hope to meet some of you in person at an Eagles Show in the future!!!