Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Good Music or Bad Music

Default Re: Eagles Album Survivor

Not true at all. Anyone can call themselves a musician. Some kid who can play three simple chords is not a musician. So no, not everyone who can play music can understand it better than someone who doesn't. shocker aint it

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    Not true at all. Anyone can call themselves a musician. Some kid who can play three simple chords is not a musician. So no, not everyone who can play music can understand it better than someone who doesn't. shocker aint it
    While anyone can call themselves a musician - people with professional gigging experience or studio experience are experienced and knowledgeable. I'm not talking about kids - I'm talking about pros or people with real life experience.

Some people may be more inclined than others to dissect music, but for the most part for most people its a simple thing of "Like or don't like".

WalshFan88
    Where as mine or another musician's may be 'This is well composed. This has great songwriting and lyricism. This has a great time and beat to it. This has no creativity. This is very creative. This is out of tune.'.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    WalshFan88

Just because someone isn't a musician, doesn't mean they can't identify with great songwriting, & lyricisim or creativity for that matter. It is all in the ear of the beholder.
    True, but most people don't. Very few do. There are some here that do. But most people don't. Most people just either like or dislike something.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    True, but most people don't. Very few do. There are some here that do. But most people don't. Most people just either like or dislike something.
    Yes, and to use your word, what on earth is 'wrong' with that? Sorry, but I don't consider my knowledge of music useless because I cannot play an instrument.

Of course you have a point about the extra knowledge that musicians have. But you seem to be saying that only their knowledge and their opinions have any validity. By which you mean YOUR knowledge & opinions.

Can you please accept that other people have as much right to comment on this issue as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Yes, and to use your word, what on earth is 'wrong' with that? Sorry, but I don't consider my knowledge of music useless because I cannot play an instrument.

Of course you have a point about the extra knowledge that musicians have. But you seem to be saying that only their knowledge and their opinions have any validity.
    Nothing is wrong with it. But I'm just saying musicians see it both ways, simply and comprehensively. I never said anyone's knowledge was useless so please do not put words in my mouth.

As I said earlier all opinions are valid. I'm not going to type that again as I meant it when I said it. I'm not saying only their opinions are valid, but rather they see it from two different angles where as most people only see one. And when we try to present the other angle people are confused by it because they only know it the other way.

I don't think anyone here is confused or seeing it only one way Walshfan.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    I don't think anyone here is confused or seeing it only one way Walshfan.
    Well I guess we all see it differently then and that's that.

My quote:
    Just because someone isn't a musician, doesn't mean they can't identify with great songwriting, & lyricisim or creativity for that matter. It is all in the ear of the beholder.
    WalshFan88:
    Say what??? Most people have more of an opinion than they either like or don't like something. I most certainly can identify with great songwriting & lyricisim, anybody who reads, can...
    I don't consider myself a musician, even though I have studied piano & played the tuba.....but I have an opinion on a songs musicality, creativity, & lyrics. Don't think that non musicians don't have the capabilities of understanding music....I think people who are music fans can relate to much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    My quote:

WalshFan88:

Say what??? Most people have more of an opinion than they either like or don't like something. I most certainly can identify with great songwriting & lyricisim, anybody who reads, can...
    I don't consider myself a musician, even though I have studied piano & played the tuba.....but I have an opinion on a songs musicality, creativity, & lyrics. Don't think that non musicians don't have the capabilities of understanding music....I think people who are music fans can relate to much of it.
    I know - and I said it's rare that people like you or others can understand musicality of a song. That's what I'm saying. I'm not saying all non musicians can't understand it but most don't IME. There are definitely exceptions as with everything. I've said all I can say on the matter.