Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Good Music or Bad Music

Default Re: Eagles Album Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    Walshfan what is so wrong with Nirvana? There are so many good bands now a days and singers. One that comes to mind is Ray LaMontagne. Some good bands to listen to are Youth Group, The Sounds, She & Him, Wilco, Wild Light, The Vines, The Strokes, The Kooks, Kasabian, blur, Gorillaz, Coldplay and Arcade Fire. All are great bands with great songs, but guess what some of them aren't played on the radio. Nirvana was a great band that gave way to new artists "in my humble opinion."
    Just not my kind of music, sorry. I like classic rock. I don't like hiphop, pop, country, rap, grunge, indie, modern rock, alternative rock, progressive rock, experimental, metal, etc etc etc. Nirvana killed off my kind of music. Therefore I dislike them greatly for it besides not liking their music. I cannot stand any of those bands - they are too far "out there" for me. I like Classic Rock music and rock music from the 70s and 80s and ever since Nirvana came on the scene all of that went way sadly. The new artists that came after Nirvana weren't my type NOR do they have the same creativity that the artists of earlier days had. Nirvana to me IMO is nothing more than angered teens screaming and making no sense and writing angry or just generally unhappy music. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a perfect example of a song I never want to hear again in my life.

I get my music tastes from my dad. He is all about Classic Rock and hates modern music like I do as well. My mom on the other hand loves modern rock and metal and alternative. My dad is from the classic rock time and he is the one where I get my great tastes in music from.

Simply put - I was born in the wrong generation. 70s/80s is my era and especially the 70s. Guns N' Roses was the last band to come out that I like. Ever since they stopped and Nirvana started - new old school Rock bands were never formed. It was all downhill from there and has got continually worse as time goes on. But Nirvana put an end to old school rock music and changed music forever - but not in a good way IMO. There is no denying they changed music but the change was unwelcome for me and not good.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 12-07-2011 at 04:44 PM.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" was about a movement same as The Beach Boys "Surfin USA" or even The Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows". As for the creativity died after the 90s that's complete bullocks. Ray LaMontagne could've easily joined Crosby, Stills, and Nash. The Sounds could've joined the ranks of Blondie and The Clash. The Vines and Strokes would've been great bands to join the 60s and 70s. Anything that Damon Albarn does is genius. So for you to say the creativity died or whatever is just plain ol wrong.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" was about a movement same as The Beach Boys "Surfin USA" or even The Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows". As for the creativity died after the 90s that's complete bullocks. Ray LaMontagne could've easily joined Crosby, Stills, and Nash. The Sounds could've joined the ranks of Blondie and The Clash. The Vines and Strokes would've been great bands to join the 60s and 70s. Anything that Damon Albarn does is genius. So for you to say the creativity died or whatever is just plain ol wrong.
    Well that's like, your opinion man! I'm not wrong, and you're not wrong. It's all subjective. Creativity is a matter of opinion and IMO those bands aren't creative nor do they have much to say nor are they my type of music to begin with. I do not care for any of that music you mentioned - it's not for me and IMO it can't hold a candle to the rock music of the 70s/80s.

I'd rather the hair bands would have stayed around longer than for alternative to have started. At least I can stomach them and even like some of them (Motley Crue, Ratt, etc).

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Personally, I don't care for Nirvana either but I'm also not understanding how you keep saying Nirvana "killed off" your kind of music. They expanded on the grunge that, even tho they try to claim as theirs, people like Neil Young started. It's just another form of music, that may not be for everyone. But I refuse to believe that one group can be responsible for ending another whole form of music. There's still plenty of rock today that will become classic rock 20 years from now. The word "classic" is used to describe the old rock. I will admit I don't believe that today's groups/sounds/songs/etc, will EVER measure up to the old stuff and some of it will not stand up to the test of time but doesn't mean a lot of it isn't worthy of listening to. Groups like Nickelback have been around for years and continue to put out top selling albums.

MODERATORS----This has gotten so far off topic and I claim partial responsibility for it. I don't know if we have another thread this would be better suited in but I would really, really like to continue on with this discussion and don't feel right doing it here. I apparently like .
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" was about a movement same as The Beach Boys "Surfin USA"
    Actually, Austin--that's not opinion, that is pretty much fact and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything, anywhere that says otherwise.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Personally, I don't care for Nirvana either but I'm also not understanding how you keep saying Nirvana "killed off" your kind of music. They expanded on the grunge that, even tho they try to claim as theirs, people like Neil Young started. It's just another form of music, that may not be for everyone. But I refuse to believe that one group can be responsible for ending another whole form of music. There's still plenty of rock today that will become classic rock 20 years from now. The word "classic" is used to describe the old rock. I will admit I don't believe that today's groups/sounds/songs/etc, will EVER measure up to the old stuff and some of it will not stand up to the test of time but doesn't mean a lot of it isn't worthy of listening to. Groups like Nickelback have been around for years and continue to put out top selling albums.

MODERATORS----This has gotten so far off topic and I claim partial responsibility for it. I don't know if we have another thread this would be better suited in but I would really, really like to continue on with this discussion and don't feel right doing it here. I apparently like .
    Mainly because Nirvana changed the music scene and people lost interest in what I call 70s/80s blues based rock and hard rock and now were all into alternative which IMO isn't as good. Therefore because there was no interest no more old style rock groups (in the same vain as Stones, Aerosmith, etc) were made. Nirvana changed the music scene and not in a good way. That and I've never cared for Kurt Cobain but that's beside the point.

When I say Classic Rock I do mean old school rock in the style of Stones, Zeppelin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, GnR. Those types of blues based rock and hard rock from the 70s and 80s.

At least we agree that the new stuff will never hold up to the old stuff. That's for darn sure. But Nickelback? Really? Yes a lot of people like them but they are barf-worthy to me.

And yes lastly I would like to continue the discussion in a better place. Perhaps the Share The Music You Love thread would be better. Shall we move it there?

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Actually, Austin--that's not opinion, that is pretty much fact and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything, anywhere that says otherwise.
    I highlighted the opinion part in bold. He said I was wrong for saying those bands don't have creativity. And I said it was his opinion that I was wrong because it's all subjective and that I wasn't wrong.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hey everyone - I agree that this could be a thread of it's own. Don't have time to break it out right now, but we'll take care of it later. For now, I say feel free to continue your discussion here. Don't want to lose any momentum.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

There are still bands that are hard rock/blues based. The early Kings of Leon stuff for example. The Black Keys play very blues based hard rock. Even the bands of the 70s/80s weren't creative. They did what the bands of the 60s did, take music that came before them and add their own touch to it. That's what the Beatles did with R&B.

There are still bands that are hard rock/blues based. The early Kings of Leon stuff for example. The Black Keys play very blues based hard rock. Even the bands of the 70s/80s weren't creative. They did what the bands of the 60s did, take music that came before them and add their own touch to it. That's what the Beatles did with R&B.
    Kings of Leon is alright but the Black Keys use too much fuzz for my tastes. Leon was good though - I'll give you that.

You are right in the sense that the 70s guys took the earlier stuff and improved on it but in the songwriting is where I'm talking about creativity, not just in the type of music but in the composition, music part creation, and lyrics is where I find the 70s/80s to trump anything since then. It just fits in with my style better. As I said, I was born in the wrong generation.