Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Music or Bad Music

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Album Survivor

And check out what I found a minute ago when I was "researching" bad rock songs. Seems 3 of the songs I listed, this person agrees with. Darn, I'm good!!!!

http://trueslant.com/michelecatalano...s-of-all-time/
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Darn it Willie! Muskrat Love was such a fantastic song! I always loved it!

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    And check out what I found a minute ago when I was "researching" bad rock songs. Seems 3 of the songs I listed, this person agrees with. Darn, I'm good!!!!

http://trueslant.com/michelecatalano...s-of-all-time/
    Well I just looked over that list and I have to say I love most of those songs! I know most here will agree with me that at least one of them is far from sucky...

On the other hand, how about this song which reached NUMBER ONE on Billboard in 1976:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irgJPqkuakM[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote. TimothyBFan
    Who is this woman Michele Catalano? She doesn't know what the heck she is talking about. Most of those songs are great, but mostly just Overplayed, which is why people are just maybe sick of them.

There are plenty of songs that made #1 that are really bad, like some mentioned here, Muskrat Love, & that Disco Duck. I couldn't even open those videos to watch because I know how bad they are.....Like I said,"PAYOLA"

Many great artists & bands didn't make the charts because their management didn't know how to promote them. Poco, & Humble Pie are perfect examples of that. Those bands should have had the fame & the money, but never made it.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Oh my, TBF! Great find! I'm not sure I agree with ALL of Springsteen, but the rest I can agree with. Especially The Doors (ALL of their songs). I find that a lot of songs I loved loved loved back when they were popular are now on my list of songs I can go my entire life without ever hearing again. Overplayed? Maybe, but others have been overplayed and I still love them. When I stopped drinking cheap wine by the bottle, I stopped liking most of these songs!

I wouldn't put HC on my 'hate' list, but I do have to admit that when making a playlist, it goes on next to last (followed by Desperado) of all Eagles songs and then I get involved in other things and end up not getting that far. It wasn't a song I ever liked in my youth and I actually like it better now than back then.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I get the feeling when Austin refers to "classic rock hits" he is referring to the songs that still get played on classic rock stations to this day, which is actually only a small percentage of what was on the charts back in the day. Because he likes what the classic rock radio plays, he assumes that there were never any bad classic rock hits. This reliance on radio also means he hasn't really explored the catalogs of most classic rock bands and is thus unfamiliar with any other quality music they have done. Am I right Austin?
    You got it half right.

I am mainly referring to current classic rock radio hits yes. But I have indeed explored almost all of the "Classic Rock"/AOR Rock out there album by album(Eagles, Stones, Beatles, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Foreigner, Boston, etc etc etc etc) to come to the conclusions I have. I don't only listen to radio, I do own lots of CD's and am a huge Classic Rock lover in general. It's just that the songs I like and want to hear happen to be the hits and the popular songs of the band(s) in question.

Before I start--remember I'm a huge fan of the "rock" stuff also and feel the same about Desperado as you do. And moderators, please move this whole post if you need to to another thread.

This statement really bothers me!! I know we've done this before but seriously, how can you say that? There is so much good stuff on albums by so many classic rock bands that have never made it onto a radio or became a hit. I just feel that if you are limiting your listening pleasure to nothing more than hits, you are missing out on a majority of the good stuff. Again, just like you, this is my opinion, but I am older and, therefore, wiser than you.
    Are you seriously telling me that Aerosmith, for example, has no other good music out there other than the hits that get radio play like Walk This Way and their other hits? How about Walkin' The Dog, Seasons Of Wither, Hangman's Jury? These were never "hits" but are some of the better stuff off the top of my head. I could go on and on about your favorite bands and give you example of d*mn good music of their's that were not hits for every one of those bands. Seriously?

OMG---You want to make me pull my hair out in frustration!!! I love ya, baby, but I want to educate you a bit!! First and foremost, I quote you again, "All of the classic rock hits were amazing songs" ---NOT!!!! And again, this is all a matter of opinion, we both agree, but off the top of my head, bad hits..... Paradise By The Dashboard Light, Glory Days, Do You Think I'm Sexy (really?), We Built This City, Born In The USA----KILL ME NOW!!!!! UGH!!!!

As for the statement, "I don't even bother listening to new music because whenever I do it makes me want to vomit profusely"---This also saddens me. There are some really good newer bands out there that given a chance, I think you'd probably like. And again, I'm not talking about the hits. Charts should mean nothing and have no baring on what you might like to listen to. Nickelback, Incubus, Foo Fighters, Lifehouse, Everlast... to name a few!!

I beg to differ with you once again. Here's an example. I, as did about a gazillion other hormone raging pre-teen girls in the 70s, bought a few albums by "hit" artist like Shaun Cassidy, Andy Gibb, Leif Garrett, etc....... I'm here to tell you, I didn't buy them because of the quality of music, that's for sure!!! Honey, I helped put them on the charts for no other reason than I thought those boys were the sexiest things I had ever seen!! They couldn't sing, but who cared? They sure looked good on an album cover and lip syncing on American Bandstand. They hit the top of the charts thanks to us!!

As we all seem to keep saying and agree---it's all "completely subjective", so I'm sure this isn't going to change your mind, but I swear, if you only would listen to me, I'd open your eyes to a whole lot of different music you would enjoy!
    I'm just very picky on music. Most of it just isn't my stuff.

As far as obscure songs - I just never connected with 99 percent of them. I just don't feel a connection to them. I can think of some rare exceptions but most of the time the songs I dig and LOVE to death and want to hear all the time just so happen to be "radio hits". As far as Aerosmith goes - Walkin' The Dog is a good one but I'm not a big fan of the other two you mentioned. Again - I'm just very picky on what I like to listen to. I'm attracted to a mainstream classic rock 70s analog sound and that's what I want to hear and why I cannot stand modern music of today which I'll get to later.

As far as hits - I love most of those songs you mentioned. Except for the Rod Stewart song and We Built This City but the Meatloaf and Springsteen songs I love. I guess "bad" is subjective because there is a lot of people out there that love it. Musically, from a music standpoint they are composed well but rather we will like it or think it sucks is another thing.

As far as modern music. I just cannot get into modern music. All of those bands you mentioned are my least favorite of modern music.... I just cannot stomach those bands at all or any of the others. And I DO actually try to listen to new bands as they come out but they do nothing for me. I also try to listen to individual artists and very few I can stomach. I do like a couple of them mainly for their guitar playing but not their songs.

There is a much different sound and creativity in the music now than there was in the 70s. The 70s/80s was the peak/highlight period of rock n' roll music. After Nirvana came on the scene it totally murdered good music (rock music) as we know it today. IMHO Guns N' Roses was the last good band on the Rock scene. They were cut from the same mold as the Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc (the good stuff). They had the classic vibe. They are the newest band I like. But after GnR went down - rock music like I know and love ceased to exist. There has never been another band cut from the same mold that was an analog band with a classic rock sound or vibe that appealed to me.

I realize I'm picky but I'm picky about everything. If I told you about my eating habits and how I only eat about 5 different things, how I avoid all green foods, how I don't eat vegetables, or how I have to smell every new food before eating it to decide if I even want to try a bite and I also eat by looking at the food deciding which thing to eat next and I eat only one thing at a time before going to the next side on the plate rather than jumping back and forth, that'd be another topic and discussion.

I've always been a picky, narrow minded kind of person. I truly love very few things. But boy - when I do watch out because I'll support them to the death. Old habits die hard I guess! But music is VERY personal - can't stress that enough. And I just can't dig the new stuff and it just so happens the older stuff I do dig are radio hits and/or popular songs.

I'm willing to give a listen to anything you suggest - but I can't promise you I will like it or love it. But I am open to try to listen to new stuff. It's just that nothing attracts me and I can be hard to please.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

I've always been a picky, narrow minded kind of person.
    Admitting it is half the battle!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Admitting it is half the battle!!
    I have no problem admitting it - I know I am! I'm picky about everything. For me everything has to be like Baby Bear's porridge. Not too hot, not too cold. It has to be juuuuust right!

Walshfan what is so wrong with Nirvana? There are so many good bands now a days and singers. One that comes to mind is Ray LaMontagne. Some good bands to listen to are Youth Group, The Sounds, She & Him, Wilco, Wild Light, The Vines, The Strokes, The Kooks, Kasabian, blur, Gorillaz, Coldplay and Arcade Fire. All are great bands with great songs, but guess what some of them aren't played on the radio. Nirvana was a great band that gave way to new artists "in my humble opinion."