Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Music or Bad Music

Default Re: Eagles Album Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Quote Walshfan88

This is your statement. I'm not going to argue this anymore, but what you said here, is not really what you are saying now! I was commenting on this quote. Peace out, baby............
    Let me finish with this statement. I mainly was referring to the genre of the music - which is Classic Rock. I was mainly referring to that era/genre. That said, to avoid any confusion for you or anyone else I will edit my original post to reflect that.

That said, if a song becomes a hit - it has to be LIKED generally. A song doesn't sell if it's truly crappy. Someone out there likes it. Just like my thoughts on Desperado. I don't think it's that great, but obviously others out there like it as it has sold lots of copies and the two main songs are on the radio. But a hit doesn't become a hit by being a bad song. It is generally requested enough or high in the charts of sales to get it played most of the time. Just because one of us thinks it's crappy doesn't mean others don't like it. Ranking the songs musically, most hits from this era we speak of are good musical songs. Rather you like them or not is another thing and is completely subjective.

Peace out.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

You know I thought about doing this earlier in the game if Desperado won that I was going to make a video summing up all of my thoughts and anytime someone hadn't heard my thoughts on Desperado, Country Music, Hit Songs, Hotel California, Joe Walsh vs Bernie Leadon, Early Eagles vs Later Eagles, Thoughts on Modern Music, Not burning out on songs, etc I can just link them to my video where I give a 10 minute talk about my feelings along with some factual information on music and why I like and don't like the things I do and why I believe what I do.

I think I'm going to do that now and I'll post it here when I'm done. Should be a fun one to watch as I'm sure some of the things I will say most will disagree on but I'm going to put it all on the table. That way from now on instead of typing it all out every time to explain why I think the way I do, I'll just link to this private Photobucket video. Makes it easier for writer's cramp!

ETA: It's uploading to my private YouTube section right now. It was too long for Photobucket. It's a doozy and very much strong in my beliefs but it is very clean. Just very strong thoughts and a very thought provoking rant of mine along with some explanations and just some basic overviews. I also threw in some guitar intro's for those out there that enjoy them.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 12-06-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs2X6MoXJTw[/ame]

That is my video explaining and talking about everything I talked about in my above post.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I'm sorry Walshfan but I have to disagree with some of the stuff you said. Especially about Desperado, Joe Walsh vs Bernie Leadon, Deep Tracks, Modern Music, and Nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    I'm sorry Walshfan but I have to disagree with some of the stuff you said. Especially about Desperado, Joe Walsh vs Bernie Leadon, Deep Tracks, Modern Music, and Nirvana.
    To each his own - as I said in the video. I am just taking my musical background and experience as a musician and also what I prefer and also what I am close to and mixing those together in what I say.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

I am admittedly attracted to hit songs. Deep Tracks/Obscure Songs don't do much for me I'm afraid. There is a reason they are deep tracks and not hits
    IMO! There are very few obscure songs that are truly great IME. When I listen to music, I want to hear Hotel California, Sweet Home Alabama, Walk This Way, You Shook Me All Night Long, etc. NOT Doolin-Dalton, All I Can Do Is Write About It, F.I.N.E, Bad Boy Boogie, etc.
    Before I start--remember I'm a huge fan of the "rock" stuff also and feel the same about Desperado as you do. And moderators, please move this whole post if you need to to another thread.

This statement really bothers me!! I know we've done this before but seriously, how can you say that? There is so much good stuff on albums by so many classic rock bands that have never made it onto a radio or became a hit. I just feel that if you are limiting your listening pleasure to nothing more than hits, you are missing out on a majority of the good stuff. Again, just like you, this is my opinion, but I am older and, therefore, wiser than you.
    Are you seriously telling me that Aerosmith, for example, has no other good music out there other than the hits that get radio play like Walk This Way and their other hits? How about Walkin' The Dog, Seasons Of Wither, Hangman's Jury? These were never "hits" but are some of the better stuff off the top of my head. I could go on and on about your favorite bands and give you example of d*mn good music of their's that were not hits for every one of those bands. Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88
    Not from the 70s classic rock, no. All of the classic rock hits were amazing songs. Currently yes definitely but it is of my opinion that all modern current music pretty much sucks. I'm a strictly 60s/70s/80s guy. So when I talk about hits - I'm talking 70s stuff. All of the 70s hits were great amazing tunes. All Right Now, Free Bird, Hotel California, Free Ride, Walk This Way, I could go on and on. I NEVER change the channel on a classic rock radio station. It is of my opinion that all Classic Rock from the 70s is amazing/perfect and that there are no bad Classic Rock songs. That is all I listen to - Classic Rock from 70s/80s and some 60s. I'm a purist in that regard. I want to hear the hits of the 70s and some 80s. That's my kind of music. New music since 1989 turns me off. I don't even bother listening to new music because whenever I do it makes me want to vomit profusely. So yes all new songs on the radio do and can definitely suck. But not Classic Rock 70s hits. I love all of them. It's all I listen to. I'm picky.
    OMG---You want to make me pull my hair out in frustration!!! I love ya, baby, but I want to educate you a bit!! First and foremost, I quote you again, "All of the classic rock hits were amazing songs" ---NOT!!!! And again, this is all a matter of opinion, we both agree, but off the top of my head, bad hits..... Paradise By The Dashboard Light, Glory Days, Do You Think I'm Sexy (really?), We Built This City, Born In The USA----KILL ME NOW!!!!! UGH!!!!

As for the statement, "I don't even bother listening to new music because whenever I do it makes me want to vomit profusely"---This also saddens me. There are some really good newer bands out there that given a chance, I think you'd probably like. And again, I'm not talking about the hits. Charts should mean nothing and have no baring on what you might like to listen to. Nickelback, Incubus, Foo Fighters, Lifehouse, Everlast... to name a few!!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88

That said, if a song becomes a hit - it has to be LIKED generally. A song doesn't sell if it's truly crappy. Someone out there likes it. Just like my thoughts on Desperado. I don't think it's that great, but obviously others out there like it as it has sold lots of copies and the two main songs are on the radio. But a hit doesn't become a hit by being a bad song. It is generally requested enough or high in the charts of sales to get it played most of the time. Just because one of us thinks it's crappy doesn't mean others don't like it. Ranking the songs musically, most hits from this era we speak of are good musical songs. Rather you like them or not is another thing and is completely subjective.
    I beg to differ with you once again. Here's an example. I, as did about a gazillion other hormone raging pre-teen girls in the 70s, bought a few albums by "hit" artist like Shaun Cassidy, Andy Gibb, Leif Garrett, etc....... I'm here to tell you, I didn't buy them because of the quality of music, that's for sure!!! Honey, I helped put them on the charts for no other reason than I thought those boys were the sexiest things I had ever seen!! They couldn't sing, but who cared? They sure looked good on an album cover and lip syncing on American Bandstand. They hit the top of the charts thanks to us!!

As we all seem to keep saying and agree---it's all "completely subjective", so I'm sure this isn't going to change your mind, but I swear, if you only would listen to me, I'd open your eyes to a whole lot of different music you would enjoy!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I agree with everything you said Willie except for some of your examples of bad classic rock - I love those Springsteen songs as well as We Built This City! However, your point about Leif Garrett et al sure hits home.

I get the feeling when Austin refers to "classic rock hits" he is referring to the songs that still get played on classic rock stations to this day, which is actually only a small percentage of what was on the charts back in the day. Because he likes what the classic rock radio plays, he assumes that there were never any bad classic rock hits. This reliance on radio also means he hasn't really explored the catalogs of most classic rock bands and is thus unfamiliar with any other quality music they have done. Am I right Austin?

Now, let's all enjoy a top 5 hit from 1976, a song which peaked at a higher chart position than "Life in the Fast Lane" would a few months later (LITFL never even made it into the Top 10):
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    However, I do think it's interesting that many hardcores don't list Hotel California as their favorite Eagles album. Perhaps it's because we focus on more than just the hits and popular sentiment.
    I think that's exactly right. I enjoy listening to most all the songs on an album. I don't just listen to the hits. I think a lot of people miss out on a lot of good music by just listening to the hits. No matter who the artist is.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

WalshFan88, I still have to disagree with you about "Hit Songs" all being good songs due to requests & sales. Have you ever heard of "Payola"??Yeah, that's when record companies & mangers "PAY" to have their artists & songs on the radio. It's been going on since the 60's & still happens today.
    These songs get so much radio play, they become "hits" because they are pretty much shoved down our throats, via radio & tv appearances.

I agree with TimothyBFan in that the 'teenybobber idol of the moment" is the one with the "hit" & the "huge sales', ( for example Justin Beiber is the "It Boy" of the moment for the 12 year old girls.

I was lucky enough to be exposed to great bands & concerts at a very young age, as I was seeing the Who, Clapton, Ten Years After & others at about age 13, so my musical taste developed from there, but most young kids fall into the "teen Idol" guy of the moment. It has a lot to do with looks, & less to do with real "Talent"....

The music business is like any other "business" about the MONEY
    Last edited by Topkat; 12-07-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

I get the feeling when Austin refers to "classic rock hits" he is referring to the songs that still get played on classic rock stations to this day, which is actually only a small percentage of what was on the charts back in the day. Because he likes what the classic rock radio plays, he assumes that there were never any bad classic rock hits. This reliance on radio also means he hasn't really explored the catalogs of most classic rock bands and is thus unfamiliar with any other quality music they have done. Am I right Austin?

Now, let's all enjoy a top 5 hit from 1976, a song which enjoyed a higher chart position than "Life in the Fast Lane" would a few months later:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs
    You are sooooo right about that. I swear radio stations get the same 100 songs over and over again!!!! In fact, in that article Koala just posted in Timothy in the Press thread, when he said he had been listening to a classic radio station when they played Night By Night by Steely Dan on it, I thought to myself, I wonder what radio station that was. It's rare to get something like that, at least where I am.

OMG---Muskrat Love----. Wasn't that a great hit?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    I don't just listen to the hits. I think a lot of people miss out on a lot of good music by just listening to the hits. No matter who the artist is.
    EXACTLY!!!! And you managed to say it in just a couple of sentences, unlike my previous post that took me an hour to compose and took up half a page.
    He sings it high, he plays it low