Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Good Music or Bad Music

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Good Music or Bad Music

I didn't experience the Beatles at the time, although I was given A Hard Day's Night when it came out. They took time to grow on me, but I am in the 'worship' category as for me they were the greatest band of all time and every time I listen to them I hear something new & different, plus they always, ALWAYS make me feel good & lift my spirits when one of their songs comes on. I suppose I'm not claiming objectivity about them as I love them too much.

Some examples of the extraordinary variety of music & lyrics they turned their hands to:

Protest/Social Comment: Revolution
    Heavy Metal: Helter Skelter
    Psychedelia: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
    R&B/Soul - Got To Get You Into My Life
    Pure Pop: I Want To Hold Your Hand
    Folk: Mother Nature's Son
    Surrealism: Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    Children's Music: Yellow Submarine
    Love Songs: In My Life
    Anthems: Hey Jude
    'What Do They Really Mean': Norwegian Wood
    Influence Of Indian Music: Within You Without You
    Influence Of Classical Music: Eleanor Rigby (this song alone could go in several categories as it is a work of art)
    Satire: The Ballad Of John & Yoko
    Classic Rock (just for Austin): Come Together
    Cover Versions: Twist & Shout
    Harmony Singing: Because
    Concept Songs: Side 2 of Abbey Road
    England In the 60s: When I'm 64

And I have only give one example in each category when I could have listed so many others. I can't make people think the Beatles were great, but I will be as enthusiastic as I can about them given the chance.

NB: We do have a very good separate topic about them:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=1627

Part of me wants to go back there & post some more random thoughts.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.

The first 45 RPM record I owned was "Help" by the Beatles. 1965. Flip side "I'm Down." I still have the Capitol hit single in a record box.

"A Hard Day's Night" is before my time--I went to the movie "Help,"--and I have not yet seen the movie "A Hard Day's Night."

Subjectivity--in music or the arts--well, think of the enthusiasm of discovery and identity and entertainment--aesthetics--whatever it is that you bring to the art. It is contentious enough--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    You know, I've said it before, but I don't understand the amount of adulation surrounding the Beatles. They had a lot of good, catchy tunes. Certainly they were a good band with many strong songs. However, the worshipful nature with which they are treated mystifies me. When I listen to their greatest hits, I enjoy most of them, but I never find myself thinking "Wow, this is by far the most compelling and brilliant music ever recorded in the history of rock'n'roll!" There are many moments of brilliance to be sure but frankly, to my ears at least, they do not make up the majority of their material. A good percentage, yes, but not the majority.

I realize that what I am saying is blasphemous to many, especially those who experienced "Beatlemania" firsthand and got caught up in the band's mythos as a result, but my unpopular opinion is definitely in the spirit of this thread in terms of demonstrating the subjectivity of one's assessment of quality.
    Well Soda, I think a lot of the reason for the adulation has a lot to do with the fact that they were the first in so many things with regard to pop music and pop culture. Elvis is considered the "King of Rock and Roll" and it was around his time that rock and roll was born. But, The Beatles took just about everything in rock and roll to another level. They were the first band to really write their own songs - and their experimentation with music was pretty much unprecedented at the time. Everything about them was different - their music, their hair and clothes, and their attitudes. I remember that there was one point in the mid 60's where about 8 of the Billboard Top 10 songs were by The Beatles. I can't even fathom that ever happening again. They changed pop culture as much as anything did in the 20th century. Virtually every rock and roll artist today would probably acknowledge that they were influenced either directly or indirectly by The Beatles. Once they came on the scene, music would never be the same again. And they were so prolific in their short time together as they kept reinventing themselves with every new album. So to me - their unequaled influence over pop music and culture is why they get the recognition they get, and deservedly so, IMHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Dreamer, thanks for writing that, because I didn't really try to address the issue.

The Beatles are where they are in history for a good reason. Now I'm more of a Stones guy, but even I can see why they were so popular. While I do think Beatlemania is a bit...how do I say it....overrated and over the top, I think their success and fame is well deserved. They were amazing songwriters and IMO the best songwriters that came on the "scene" first, they paved the way for MANY acts, the Lennon/McCartney writing and all of that has directly influenced many bands and I'm sure I'm not wrong by saying that I'm sure Don and Glenn were influenced at least somewhat by that songwriting partnership. I consider them to be the Lennon/McCartney of their time. Don is my favorite, I can't lie. Best songwriter and lyricist of all time IMO and certainly my favorite vocalist.

Getting back to the Beatles, I think their success is in all in the songs and in their writing style and coming up with catchy songs. Also, I'm sure the look and attitude played a part in it but looks and persona will only take you so far in the music business IMO (as far as lasting and achieving historical status) and they certainly were masters of their craft, musically. I can't tell you how many interviews I've read or watched by bands or musicians and so many say the reason they got into music or what inspired them to get into music was after seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. So many 70s rock musicians are/were influenced by that appearance and that band.

While I'm not the world's biggest Beatle freak - I certainly give credit where it's due and can say that they have earned their place in music history.

And on the subject of the Beatles, and I posted this in the Harrison thread but IMO Joe Walsh is the George Harrison of his time. Always plays for the singer, a lyrical player that never overplays and is very melodic, and one that always plays the parts to serve the song that don't get in the way of the message. That is what George did and what very few have done since IMO. I think think of very few off the top of my head, actually. Joe Walsh and Mike Campbell are the two that come to mind from the 70s.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 12-12-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Classic Rock (just for Austin): Come Together
    Classic Rock FTW! Actually, Come Together is my favorite Lennon/McCartney song. My favorite Beatles song of all time is Here Comes The Sun, which is a George Harrison song.

I have to admit when I saw that post about the Beatles, that smoke was coming out of my ears, but I have been away the past few days, so I thank those of you that have come to defend the Beatles place in Rock History.
    I do believe I have read that almost every musician had indicated they were influenced by the Beatles.

My first album was "Meet the Beatles", my first real introduction to music & I swear I carried that album around with me everyplace I went. There was absolute craziness in the stores when the album came out, because people were literally fighting to get one. Remember, you actually had to go the the store & buy it & the stores were running out of them. It was my most treasured possession. It was not just the music, but the look of the group, the first real rock band, the haircuts, the clothing. They introduced the world to an entire new scene in music. They even crossed generations, as young & old people just fell in love with them
    It was something that if you didn't experience, it may be hard to relate to. But aside from that, the music itself is just pure genius. That first album still stands up today. They also started what became the "British Invasion" of groups from England like the Stones, Hollies, the Who, the Kinks, the Animals,& many others that took over the music business in the 60's. The Beatles did really change music forever.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I've stated many times on the board how I just didn't understand all the Beatle hype. Hubby and I rarely argue but when we argue music, there are 2 things we argue, 1} Van Halen vs. Van Hagar and 2} his love of The Beatles and my lack of interest.

That being said, I admit that I've come to appreciate them a bit the last couple of years and have given them a few hours of play time on the turntable including John Lennon's solo works also. There are several songs I really like, such as A Day In The Life, Eleanor Rigby, Lucy In The Sky, Drive My Car and Lady Madonna. And then there's some that I actually cringe when I hear, Yellow Submarine, Sgt. Pepper and Hey Jude (kill me now! Ugh!!). But I'm trying!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    It was something that if you didn't experience, it may be hard to relate to. But aside from that, the music itself is just pure genius. That first album still stands up today. They also started what became the "British Invasion" of groups from England like the Stones, Hollies, the Who, the Kinks, the Animals,& many others that took over the music business in the 60's. The Beatles did really change music forever.
    I don't really remember the "Invasion" because I was so young but I do remember being 4 and having a teenage baby sitter who loved Herman's Hermits and The Animals. To this day, I love Eric Burden. A couple of my favorite bands are the Stones (my hubby's favorite band) and The Hollies. I may not remember it much but I sure do appreciate that it happened.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I really can't even pick my favorite Beatles song, but one of them is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" written by George.
    In this tribute to him, his son Dhani is joined onstage by some of his dads friends, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, & Prince for this song on his induction to the R&R Hall of Fame.....Dhani is the spitting image of George at his age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ifp_SVrlurY