Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Belong To the City and Baker Street

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default You Belong To the City and Baker Street

When Gerry Rafferty passed away recently, I mentioned this subject, but since that thread was devoted to Gerry’s memory, I didn’t want to take the discussion away from its purpose of honoring him at that time.

However, this is something I noticed a long time ago, so I wanted to discuss it a bit more. Am I the only one that sees a lot of similarities between Glenn’s You Belong To the City and Gerry’s song, Baker Street? I think the two classic songs are so similar in construction that I’ve often wondered if Glenn intentionally modeled YBTTC after Baker Street. Of course, the most obvious similarities are the incredible saxophones that are probably two of the most recognizable sax solos ever. Before I mention any other things, I’d like to see if anyone else wants to compare the two songs likenesses or differences. So anyone have any thoughts?

I'm posting videos for the songs in case anyone wants to give them another listen ...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkS169P_Eeo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUmhsy3KuY[/ame]
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 03-02-2011 at 02:53 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: You Belong To the City and Baker Street

The verses appear to be structured in a similar way; both songs tell of urban disillusionment and end on a more positive note. However, YBTTC has a middle eight ('when you said goodbye') and a chorus. Baker Street has neither. In Baker Street the sax is practically the lead instrument, but there is also a scorching guitar solo on the long version of the song. The sax in YBTTC is used primarily to give the song a 'hook'. I love both songs; if I had to choose which I prefer I suppose ultimately it would probably be Baker Street because it's about London specifically.

Glenn MAY have modelled YBTTC after Baker Street but as he has never discussed this I really can't say any more than that. He was using sax in his solo songs prior to this; they just didn't have the same Baker Street style 'hook'.

Other than the prominent sax lines (which are somewhat similar) I don't really see a huge similarity.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The sax lines are definitely similar. But the rest of the song, I'm not really sure. But there are some similarities but I don't know if I'd call it "really" similar.

Hopefully I can get back to this thread when I have more time. I'd love to get in on the discussion!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Well - first of all, I want to emphasize that this topic is pure speculation and, obviously, none of us knows for sure since the writers of YBTTC, Glenn and Jack Tempchin, have never commented on this to my knowledge.

Also, I want to stress that I don't mean to imply that YBTTC is a copy of Baker Street - they aren't the same songs for sure. But, I do find a lot of things about the songs that are alike. For example, what about the start to each song - both of them start out with a slow musical intro and then that sax solo suddenly hits you at full force. Love 'em both!

Stuck on the Border

But YBTTC actually begins with the sax. Baker Street doesn't.

Well thanks, FP, but I am aware of that. It's pretty much stating the obvious. But, I have to admit that I am a bit confused as to what this has to do with the point I was making.

Border Desperado

Dear Dreamer same happened with me with Lily was here...
    But to be honest, with Baker St. the only part I found that way it's the Sax one... very very much but only that part
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well thanks, FP, but I am aware of that. It's pretty much stating the obvious. But, I have to admit that I am a bit confused as to what this has to do with the point I was making.
    I only made that point because in your post you said both songs started with a 'slow musical intro' and then the sax 'hits you at full force' which appeared to be saying that YBTTC didn't start with sax either. So the point is that the intros are not similar.