Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

Default Re: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

That would be wrong.

So very, very wrong.

Stuck on the Border

"Heartache Tonight" for the the Cranston benefit and "Best of My Love" for when Glenn tells Don he wants out? I can feel your cringe from here! I've no idea how it would work. I'm just going with the thought that I wish I'd seen them perform when they were young.

With the news on Glenn's health, I just hope he gets well soon and finds enough to entertain him during his convalescence.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Future Eagles Projects

Now this is interesting, thinking that Broadway-caliber singers would murder Eagles songs. It's not American Idol - these are some of the technically best singers in the world, who would sound like the guys did when they were in their 20s. The Broadway singers are better, stronger singers with more range than any of the current 4 Eagles. They won't murder the songs, it's just that we don't like to hear others singing those songs, it would be like a tribute band (which some people do enjoy).

Maybe Glenn is writing all new songs for the musical!!

Stuck on the Border

The difference is that with musical theatre, they have to project expression and emotion to the back of the theatre and the words have to be enunciated well so they can be understood. There was a time when performers would act a little then stop and sing, but these days the aim is for a seamless transition from book to song and try to make it seem natural that someone would just start singing.

Border Rebel

There are many different ways to do a musical. I saw the one based on Billy Joel's music, Movin' Out, which was focused more on dance, as it was developed by Twyla Tharp. It had a weak storyline based on some of the characters from Billy's music (Brenda and Eddie from "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" and Anthony from "Movin' Out" (Anthony's Song). The music was provided by piano/orchestra/vocals that were separate from the action itself. It was interesting, and as a Billy Joel fan, I'm glad I saw it, but overall, I'd rather see a concert. In that case, although I'm sure Billy had some say in it, it was a vehicle for his music developed by others.

I would think Don and Glenn would want more say into an Eagles musical. I'd be curious to see what the final product would be.

Stuck on the Border

Just to keep things tidy, here's Don Henley on the subject.
    Though his fall tour supporting “Cass County” is relatively short, Henley plans to keep the campaign going in 2016, especially now that the Eagles plan to take “a pretty long hiatus” — although during that time the group will also be investigating the feasibility of an Eagles stage musical, which the group’s Glenn Frey, a Royal Oak native, is taking a lead role on developing.

“I guess that’s what you do at this point of your career,” Henley says. “The documentary was so successful we decided we might have some success with a musical theater piece, the centerpiece of which would be ‘Hotel California,’ but the entire catalog would be involved in some way.

“But that’s a tricky business, just what we’ve learned about it in the past two years. I mean, you can really go wrong with that, so we’re gonna do a lot of homework before we go down that road, and it may come to fruition and it may not. That’s just something we’re talking about and thinking about.”
    http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...MENT/151109736

(I'm not for the musical but I'm not set against it. I'm trying to keep an open mind and at a time when news is scarce, it's something to look at)

Stuck on the Border

Well then, I will also keep an open mind, but where I am it's something I will never see so it will be hard to be emotionally invested in it (if it succeeds, that is). I do think those two songs you suggested would work. There may have to be some flexibility over which character sings which song, though. Also wouldn't each band member have a 'spotlight'? I suppose the Felder character could sing Good Day In Hell, as that is what he claims the band was like when he joined. The point is the singers don't have to sound like the actual Eagles, I guess.

That's IF it's the story of the band. I still think it's more likely to be a Mamma Mia type story.

Banned

Good shout Freypower, Good Day In Hell does seem to define Felder's time with the band.

True. BTW, I moved the musical posts from the other thread into this one just to keep it all organized.

I'll keep an open mind regarding the musical but as Don himself admits, such projects are hard to pull off in a way that doesn't suck. We just have to trust their discretion, I guess.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Someone has already produced a Hotel California musical which was presented in August at a festival. There's no suggestion that this is the one Glenn's working on, but presumably he knows about it. It's quite interesting. She seems to be quite unaware that the band is already considering such a musical.

http://wamc.org/post/hotel-california-musical#stream/0
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 11-09-2015 at 09:38 AM.