Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

The Eagles Creating HOTEL CALIFORNIA Musical

http://broadwayworld.com/article/The...sical-20110916
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Hmmm. Given the speed with which they complete albums, I wonder how long this would take to be completed...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Not in our lifetime.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I would think they'd be working with others on this and not on their own. So they might actually have...dare we say the evil word out loud....deadlines?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I would think they'd be working with others on this and not on their own. So they might actually have...dare we say the evil word out loud....deadlines?
    You might have to wash your mouth out...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    You might have to wash your mouth out...
    ... and bite your tongue!!!!

NO! NO! NO! Not the dreaded "D" word!!!

But, maybe someone to nudge them along a little would work.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

My first reaction is
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Future Eagles Projects

As posted by Fastlane a radio show had a summary of an interview with Don (starts at 6:30).

The gist was that Glenn is "spearheading" the exploration of a stage musical while Don and Joe tour. The success of the documentary was a wake-up call: "How else can we exploit this catalogue?"

No surprises, and a bit disappointing that Glenn seems to be in "executive" mode rather than working on new material.

I believe most of us would like them to exploit their catalogue by issuing more old concert footage. Or maybe a version of the HFO MTV concert with all the songs that didn't make the final cut. Even just nice, clean releases of the BBC and Kirshner concerts.

Banned

I've no interest at all in a stage musical. As far as I know, it's a painfully slow development process, even without adding an Eagles metabolism to it.

Starting with a writer approaching the band with a storyboard idea. if that's excepted they'll spend a few years kneading it into an entertaining script then they go through a process of recruitment and staging then a period of pre-production. The end product will be stage school types singing the Eagles back catalogue with show time accompaniment.

The Eagles would have little involvement beyond providing the inspiration, unless, for any one who has seen the 2013, Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson film, Saving Mr. Banks, about the Making of Mary Poppins, Glenn is doing a P.L. Travers and steering the process in the right direction.

If the Eagles musical is as good as Mary Poppins, it'll be worth a look although the Eagles song book doesn't contain a bunch of cheery, up-tempo, life affirming, show tunes.

I hope that, after spending some time in the stage musical environment, Glenn will be desperate to get back to making music with the career musicians he's worked with all his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I've no interest at all in a stage musical. As far as I know, it's a painfully slow development process, even without adding an Eagles metabolism to it.

Starting with a writer approaching the band with a storyboard idea. if that's excepted they'll spend a few years kneading it into an entertaining script then they go through a process of recruitment and staging then a period of pre-production. The end product will be stage school types singing the Eagles back catalogue with show time accompaniment.

The Eagles would have little involvement beyond providing the inspiration, unless, for any one who has seen the 2013, Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson film, Saving Mr. Banks, about the Making of Mary Poppins, Glenn is doing a P.L. Travers and steering the process in the right direction.

If the Eagles musical is as good as Mary Poppins, it'll be worth a look although the Eagles song book doesn't contain a bunch of cheery, up-tempo, life affirming, show tunes.

I hope that, after spending some time in the stage musical environment, Glenn will be desperate to get back to making music with the career musicians he's worked with all his life.
    Quite some time ago they stated that Rita Wilson would be producing. I don't know if that has gone by the boards. Rita & Tom Hanks are personal friends of Glenn's. Also, Glenn has been living in New York for a few years now. I have a suspicion that he has been working on this project longer than they are admitting.