Page 61 of 125 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackson Browne

Default Re: Jackson Browne

Didn't scroll thru all of the posts here so don't know if someone already put this up. But even if it's here, I think it's worth bringing forward.

Let It Be Me (with TBS)
    http://youtu.be/oaDYWCti5yY
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

I had posted this awhile back, but worth bringing back. That is one fine duet.
    I think I will have to add this to my Top 10.

Timmy + Jackson=

This is one of my favourite Jackson songs. The live acoustic version is just stunning and probably a little more raw and emotive than this, but this is still a cool arrangement. Plus, he looks great!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAu7gh7xoJo[/ame]

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Ooooh, thank you Troub. This is from his DVD Going Home, which can be purchased[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Going-Home-Jackson-Browne/dp/B003PBYT62/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1334024174&sr=8-13"] here. [/ame]It's a must have for any JB fan.

I love Sky Blue and Black too. I love the understated guitar and keyboard, not to mention the deep emotion in Jackson's vocal.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I've never seen that before. Like I've said before, was never a huge Jackson fan and didn't know much other than the hits until I met you guys and have learned from you. That is a beautiful song and you're right, PM, his voice is fantastic in it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I would say that the most emotion I have heard come from a Jackson Browne song is Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate from The Pretender. Jackson married Phyllis Major in December 1975. Their son Ethan had been born in 1973. Four months after they were married, in March of 1976, Phyllis committed suicide by overdosing on pills. At the time, Jackson was in the studio recording The Pretender.

Songfacts states:

Browne experienced the tragedy of his wife, Phyllis Major, taking her life in 1976. When the suicide happened, he was in the studio recording The Pretender. The singer-songwriter told Mojo magazine that this was the only song on the album to be directly influenced by the tragic event.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5655

Although there is a youtube video of Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate from the dvd, Going Home, I find the original recording the most haunting and emotional. When he sings, Oh God, this is some shape I'm in, you can hear the sob in his voice, and when he continues with, Sometimes I lie awake at night and wonder where the years have gone, his voice breaks as if he's about to cry.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeM6pX2kCtc[/ame]

When we saw JB last year Hubby requested this song and got it. For being such a short song it packs a lot of punch.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Wow, that is a beautiful and very emotional song!! Love it! I guess I need to get The Pretender album. I do not have it. I think the only album I have of his is Lawyers.

Do we know why his wife took her life so shortly after being married and their son so young? Did he end up raising him alone then? How many times has Jackson been married? Are you tired of my questions yet and want me to look this stuff up myself?

I remember your story about hubby calling a song out to him and he playing it. Very cool. Also very cool that hubby chose that song. Was it because you loved it so much? I don't remember the exact story.

One more question----any Jackson Browne biographies or autobiographies out there I should add to my collection?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I do love JB, but I don't know if I could sit through a concert without just bawling my head off. Most of his songs are just so emotional and heart wrenching. Sky Blue and Black is one of my favorite songs of his....just beautiful. I have to be in a certain mood and alone in the car to listen to his cds. My hubby turned me on to him back in the day and we have all of his early cds and vinyls and I'm a big fan, just don't know about a live show as much as I'd love to see him live.

And that song, Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate, I'd have been on the floor in a puddle for sure! It's beautiful.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I think you would absolutely love a live JB show, Brooke. His personality is so warm and sincere. and he has plenty of rockier, more upbeat songs to get you dancing! I would say that James Taylor's show was much more mellow and emotional. Jackson's was fun. It had some beautiful moments with songs like Late For The Sky, but it wasn't at all depressing. His comments between songs are cute and funny, too. It's very relaxed and really a celebration of music. I would absolutely go if you ever get the chance! Songs like You Love The Thunder, Somebody's Baby, Running On Empty, Stay and the treat of Take It Easy at the end will make sure you leave on a high.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Troub, you definitely make it sound fun. If I ever get the chance here in the middle of the country, I'll try to make it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten