Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Working on New Solo Album!

Default Re: Glenn Frey Working on New Solo Album!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I can understand this. Does this mean you won't buy the album? I wonder, how many of us Borderers who have the other band members as their favourite will buy After Hours, given the type of material on it? Feel free to say yea or nay!

I won't be buying it, but I'm not a good one to ask. The only solo CDs I own are Joe Walsh's greatest hits and Expando. Oh, and I have some Joe Walsh in our vinyl collection.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I can understand this. Does this mean you won't buy the album? I wonder, how many of us Borderers who have the other band members as their favourite will buy After Hours, given the type of material on it? Feel free to say yea or nay!
    I'll definitely be getting it! I have all of the solo studio albums by all seven current and former members and I really like Glenn's work. As for the material, I'm not too familiar with the music from the era he's covering so most of the stuff on the album will probably be new to me

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I totally get what you are say too, Cathy. As I said earlier in this thread, I'm not thrilled about Glenn's choice to record this type of album either. I'm hoping that there are some new songs on it as well, but I'm not holding my breath. Since he is going for such a wide time period, it's hard to say what songs he may choose to include. Of course, I hope all my doubts are put to rest and I end up loving it.

In any event, I will buy the album just as I will buy anything new that any of the guys put out. I mean how will I be able to play the Survivor games for any of them if I don't buy them.

I will say that Glenn's version of The Shadow of Your Smile in Niagara Falls was gasp-and-swoon-worthy!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Going to add my 2 cents also since you asked FP. I won't be buying it either just as I won't be buying Don's country album. I have all the other solo works by the guys but these don't thrill me a bit. Doesn't mean that down the line I won't feel the need to add them to my collection and will do so, but right now, no. That being said, I will admit that if it was Timothy doing either of these kind of albums, they would be order ASAP. Go figure!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

That is absolutely true. That's part of the anticipation of this project. To hear Glenn the interpreter; and he is an excellent interpreter (of other people's material) as well as narrator.

Will there be any more original songs apart from the title track? I would like to think so!

This is so exciting, isn't it?
    Yes, soooo exciting!!!! So looking forward to Glenn's interpretation of other songs from the past! I'm not counting on any more original songs, but the fact that he is finally recording "After Hours" just thrills me!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm kind of on the fence about whether to buy it or not. I'm not thrilled with the type of songs he is recording, but I might be persuaded. I'll probably listen to some of your reviews before I buy.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm kind of on the fence about whether to buy it or not. I'm not thrilled with the type of songs he is recording, but I might be persuaded. I'll probably listen to some of your reviews before I buy.
    That's where I am. Glenn always seems to be about 20 years ahead of me. I didn't like his "sax and horns" early solo stuff in my 20s when it came out, but in my 40s, it's growing on me. Maybe I'll like the crooning when I'm 60, but I'm not there yet.

I remember when he was first talking about doing this he mentioned it being something for his parents. I guess they're probably 80-something and would love this kind of thing!

Still, even for someone like me who was born when the Eagles were ruling the radio in the mid-70s, I can appreciate the older tunes if Glenn sells it with the kind of impassioned vocals he gave at Niagara Falls. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

It's good to hear other people's views & I certainly hope that people will be persuaded if those of us who buy it rave about it.

Just on the 'crooning' thing; I wouldn't call the way he sang those songs at Niagara Falls 'crooning' any more than I would use that term to describe Sinatra's singing. This is despite the fact that on the face of it it seems the appropriate term. He just sang them in an extremely impassioned way. He put absolutely every part of himself into them.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I remember when he was first talking about doing this he mentioned it being something for his parents. I guess they're probably 80-something and would love this kind of thing!

Still, even for someone like me who was born when the Eagles were ruling the radio in the mid-70s, I can appreciate the older tunes if Glenn sells it with the kind of impassioned vocals he gave at Niagara Falls. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised!
    Remember when he anounced in Niagara Falls that he was doing the album he said he wanted to do this for his parents while they are still alive?