Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Ok, order completed! Thanks all!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Re: The Hats.....

For those who don't know, I met Carole(Tequila Girl) & Melanie(Annabel) at the Hop Festival in Kent on 1 July.
    After we'd found ourselves a place to stand, I went off to get an ice cream but couldn't find my way back. I called Carole on her mobile phone to tell her I couldn't find them - and I was actually only a few yards away from them! They could see me talking to them on my phone!!! But I had completely lost my bearings & had no idea where I was. Hence the need to wear VERY large, bright head gear next time.

I did feel very silly, but my excue is that I blame it on the excitement of waiting for the Eagles to come on.

lol. Cute story!

I was ordering something else on Amazon today and decided to toss this book in as well. Hopefully I won't regret it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

I was ordering something else on Amazon today and decided to toss this book in as well. Hopefully I won't regret it!
    Tho I've said several times that I have yet to read ANY of the Eagles books (silly I know), I have each and every one of them and have never regretted getting them. Still love seeing the same pictures over and over in these books. Maybe some day I will actually read them.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

As an English literature professor, I wince every time you say that you haven't read those books, Willie! An unread book is like an unheard song... What does it benefit me to own every Eagles CD if I've never played any of them? How much can I really get out of them if all I do is admire their artwork?

Likewise, by not reading the books, you deprive them of any meaning. For me, simply owning all the books does not have significance beyond owning a nice set of Eagles-related bookshelf placeholders. Books are more than baseball cards to me; they're more than something to collect for the sake of collecting. The treasure of a book lies in its words. It's not enough to touch a book with your hands. You have to touch it with your mind or it's worth nothing.

Signed,
    Your friendly neighborhood bibliophile

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

My copy of the book arrived today. Only flicked through it so far but will be starting it tomorrow.
    Melanie

Carole, loving the hats. So that's you and Steph taken care of

Steph, I blame it on those people with the orange tent moving. I think all 3 of us lost our bearings that day, just some more than others.
    Melanie

I've been away all week....is there really a new book "Taking it to the limit"?..just checked with Amazon.ca and couldn't find anything.....

Yep there is. I'm looking at mine right now. [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles-Ben-Fong-Torres/dp/1847327931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315843985&sr=1-1[/ame]

This might help you to find it.
    Melanie

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    As an English literature professor, I wince every time you say that you haven't read those books, Willie! An unread book is like an unheard song... What does it benefit me to own every Eagles CD if I've never played any of them? How much can I really get out of them if all I do is admire their artwork?

Likewise, by not reading the books, you deprive them of any meaning. For me, simply owning all the books does not have significance beyond owning a nice set of Eagles-related bookshelf placeholders. Books are more than baseball cards to me; they're more than something to collect for the sake of collecting. The treasure of a book lies in its words. It's not enough to touch a book with your hands. You have to touch it with your mind or it's worth nothing.

Signed,
    Your friendly neighborhood bibliophile
    I know, I know. (hangs head in shame)

You know how much I love books and reading but unfortunately I have several books sitting on book shelves because I don't have the time right now (I call them my retirement plan). And you also know that Rock N Roll books are my all time favorite and I have dozens (probably hundreds) I have read, and collect them all the time (have several preordered as I type this). I've said before, it's almost as if I'm afraid to read the Eagles ones for fear there will be something that will be a disappointment about the band that is bigger than life to me. Does that make any sense at all? Probably not, but that's always been my reasoning. I have skimmed through them all often and treasure them more than I do any other book but can't seem to read them cover to cover. Maybe some day, I will start with one and won't be able to stop till I have them all done.
    He sings it high, he plays it low