Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Another new Eagles book

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    I'll wait and see. I have the last Eagles book which is great - although a lot of it is about other musicians - but I got Felder's book and (Marc Eliot?) "Take It To The Limit" out of the library. I wasn't particularly impressed with either of those.

New photos would be great, as would interviews with the band - and then actually quoting them and not putting "Henley claims" or "according to Henley" before everything he said when other people's comments are given as facts.

Okay, rant over.
    Henley was the only current Eagle to whom Eliot had access; which is why the book is very much told from Henley's viewpoint. It also really pushes Henley as the 'talent' of the band. There is only one book to date which attempts to redress the balance & give Frey a fair amount of space, & that is Laura Jackson's The Eagles.

Frankly because Fong-Torres is from Rolling Stone I think the same angle, that the band is all about Henley, which also was the theme of that recent coffee table book, is likely to be used.

Here is the writeup on the book & Torres himself from Amazon.ca [ame]http://www.amazon.ca/Eagles-Taking-Limit-Ben-Fong-Torres/dp/1847327931/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1[/ame]

I am surprised at the title - Eagles Taking It To The Limit- as it is so close to Eliot's book To The Limit.

I have preordered it!

Product Description

Ben Fong-Torres was at "Rolling Stone" magazine when the Eagles were a cover story in 1979. He followed the band's career, interviewed them himself, and even played in the now famous Eagles vs "Rolling Stone" magazine softball match. The band changed line-up five times, split up, recorded four albums, toured the world, made the best-selling album in American history, and the members sued each other. The line-up may have changed, but the music carried on. And Ben witnessed it all. His unique insight will give readers an industry insider's view of the Eagles; their strengths and weaknesses, their fights, the recording sessions and the parties. How did this level of creative activity affect them and how have they changed as they reached middle-age?

About the Author

Ben Fong-Torres was born in California and graduated from San Francisco State University in 1966 with a BA in Radio-TV-Film and became a writer and Senior Editor at Rolling Stone magazine where he wrote 37 cover stories and hundreds of articles. He had major interviews with many of the most important acts of the 1970s, including Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones and Linda Ronstadt. An interview of Ben's with Ray Charles won the Deems Taylor Award for Magazine Writing in 1974. He left Rolling Stone in 1981 he wrote for many magazines, including Esquire, GQ, Parade, Playboy, Sports Illustrated, Harper's Bazaar, American Film, Travel & Leisure and People. He also worked as a radio DJ, TV presenter and more recently a book author. He still writes for the San Francisco Chronicle and Parade and broadcasts on TONEAudio in the Internet in between books.

Stuck on the Border

'The members sued each other'?

Don Felder sued Henley & Frey.

And of course, because of the Rolling Stone connection let's give as much prominence as we can to that softball game. How that magazine can talk itself up. I'm afraid I am not convinced that this will be worth buying.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I will reiterate--- I still believe it is a must have for any Eagles die hard. It's a book about the flippin' Eagles. What more can anyone want? I know that sounds weird when I've said so many times that I've yet to read any of them, but I simply MUST have them for my collection.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I know I'm shallow, but all I have to say is: I LOVE that photo he's chosen for the front cover!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    'The members sued each other'?

Don Felder sued Henley & Frey.

And of course, because of the Rolling Stone connection let's give as much prominence as we can to that softball game. How that magazine can talk itself up. I'm afraid I am not convinced that this will be worth buying.
    Did they counter-sue him for breach of contract. Have I read that somewhere or made it up.
    Melanie

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I will reiterate--- I still believe it is a must have for any Eagles die hard. It's a book about the flippin' Eagles. What more can anyone want? I know that sounds weird when I've said so many times that I've yet to read any of them, but I simply MUST have them for my collection.
    Well, I have read them all except for the coffee table one and unless this one shows any sign that it will be substantially different, I see no reason why I should buy it.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    Did they counter-sue him for breach of contract. Have I read that somewhere or made it up.
    No, they did counter-sue, I think, but he initiated the whole sorry business.

Well, a suit/counter-suit certainly qualifies as "suing each other"! I had forgotten about that, actually.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

If I remember correctly (big IF), they counter-sued Felder for writing the book. That's why publication was delayed until the lawsuits were settled out of court...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne