Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFanatic View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed Heaven and Hell so much. Felder talked a lot about the other guys, and it wasn't just another book about Henley and Frey.
    It certainly wasn't. What it was about in my opinion was painting Henley & Frey in the worst possible light as Felder saw it.

I did read Felder's book Heaven & Hell, & although he does talk about himself, I still found that most of the book was about Henley & Frey, & I agree not very flattering to them. I didn't find much in there about the others. Joe, & Timothy were barely mentioned. Felder did mention very briefly Bernie & Randy, but again, not much.

I guess I was hoping for a little more on the relationships between the others & how they related to the things written about Don & Glenn. Especially like how they felt about their place in the band. I think the other's need to write their own memiors!! That would be really cool.
    How about it guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It certainly wasn't. What it was about in my opinion was painting Henley & Frey in the worst possible light as Felder saw it.
    Well if you read the whole book, that's not what it was all about. I mean after all, the book is called Heaven and Hell. Also keep in mind that Felder wrote this book not long after he was fired... It's not completely irrational that he would have lingering indignation towards Henley and Frey.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFanatic View Post
    Well if you read the whole book, that's not what it was all about. I mean after all, the book is called Heaven and Hell. Also keep in mind that Felder wrote this book not long after he was fired... It's not completely irrational that he would have lingering indignation towards Henley and Frey.
    The 'lingering indignation' dominated the book, and even though the word 'heaven' is used in the title, there is not much 'heaven' anywhere in the book, which I personally found almost entirely negative. If other people didn't see this way, fair enough, but I'm afraid that is how I found it.

Agree to disagree, FP Sorry I led this thread off topic btw.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I really don't know all that much about Joe, but I did know he was in bad shape for awhile. I guess I didn't want to believe how bad it really was. Luckily, he pulled through it & is doing well now. Really happy for the way things turned out.
    I just commented on Joe's condition because I didn't know he was that bad off. It really spelled it out there. It's been years since I read the other books about the Eagles, so if it was spelled out in them, then I had forgotten. It's amazing that he recovered and has stayed that way!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I finally got a chance to read this book yesterday. Even though I knew from all of you who wrote about it here that there was nothing new in the book, I was holding out hope that we would at least get some insightful perspective from a supposed "insider" of sorts. I guess I had raised my expectations about this this book since Ben Fong-Torres knew the band personally, and he has the reputation as a well-respected reporter. But I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed that there was none of that. In fact, this 'insider' did nothing but rely on other books and newspaper articles that have been written about the band to tell his story. By his own admission, he even researched information about the Eagles/Rolling Stone softball game to help him write about it rather than relying on his own memory and perspective. I was also majorly turned off by the number of errors in the book. If Fong-Torres didn't hire an editor for this book, shame on him given his experience as a professional writer. If he did hire an editor, then shame on him for not hiring a better one.

Oh well - at least it wasn't a complete waste of my time ... I still enjoy reading about the band no matter how many times I've heard the story. It's kinda like The Wizard of Oz in that regard.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm down to the last chapter and my thoughts are about the same. Nothing new plotwise. There were a few anecdotes I hadn't seen before, but you all probably have, having done this longer than I have. I kept getting frustrated because every time the author seemed about to go into depth, he changed the subject. It was like wanting to go for a refreshing swim and being stuck on top of the lily pads!

Well, I was in Barnes & Noble the other day & I finally got to see this new book, "Take It To The Limit" The one great thing about it on a quick look, was the beautiful large pictures of the band. WoW, I just loved seeing those. I read a little of the book but didn't buy it, but I will probably end up buying it one of these days. I had some things to do & didn't want to carry it all over with me.
    I think it's worth buying just for the photos!! The other books had some pictures, but not like these.

Dreamer, you mentioned all the errors. I was wondering if you or any one else know whether this is correct. In the part where Fong-Torres told about Glenn's early life he quotes Glenn's mother & says that Glenn's father had left & she was raising Glenn & his brother alone. I don't have the book here so I don't remember the exact quote. From what I have read I got the impression that Glenn's mother remarried much earlier & that his two brothers were actually his half brothers. Am I dreaming?