Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Reading more this afternoon. I knew Joe was in bad shape back in the days before the reunion, but get this:

His doctor had told him he was in bad shape. "A couple more months and I have no idea what'll happen, but something bad will. I had burned all the bridges; I was really paper thin. I didn't have any credit cards or checking account, didn't have a car, didn't live anywhere, didn't make any sense. I really was insane, going in and out of reality." Don and Glenn asked him if he could get sober and he said "I don't know. Let's find out."

And the rest is history! Thanks for making a stand Joe!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Brooke, Does the book say that this came straight from Joe himself, or is this 2nd or 3rd hand information? I don't believe everything in most of these books.
    Sometimes you just don't want to believe the bad stuff.

Stuck on the Border

The actual quote is from Joe. This is what it says:

'It's pretty much a blur' he told me when we met in New York years later. Then there is some explanation of how Joe's life progressed during those years & then the quote continues as Brooke posted it.

We all know that this was the case. I saw Joe twice while he was in this state. Joe has always been upfront & honest about it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-04-2011 at 08:24 PM.

I enjoyed the book, as I do anything I read about the Eagles...but there wasn't anything in there we didn't know before...

I really don't know all that much about Joe, but I did know he was in bad shape for awhile. I guess I didn't want to believe how bad it really was. Luckily, he pulled through it & is doing well now. Really happy for the way things turned out.

I agree TK. I really didn't 'know' Joe during that time and I don't want to see videos of performances where he was wasted. But I have to credit him for being that far gone and coming back to the Joe we see today. Pretty amazing!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well I still haven't had a chance to read the book. I'm looking forward to finding a little bit of free time soon so I read about everything that I already know.

And I agree with those sentiments about Joe - IMO, he looks happier and healthier than he's looked in many years. Way to go, Joe!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Can someone who has read the entire book tell me if there is more than a few sentences on Bernie, Randy, Don F, Joe & Timothy? I feel most of these books are mostly about Don & Glenn & not much written about the other guys.
    If most of the book is the Don/Glenn story, it has been told many times before. I am really interested to learn more about the other Eagles.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Can someone who has read the entire book tell me if there is more than a few sentences on Bernie, Randy, Don F, Joe & Timothy? I feel most of these books are mostly about Don & Glenn & not much written about the other guys.
    If most of the book is the Don/Glenn story, it has been told many times before. I am really interested to learn more about the other Eagles.
    Thanks
    This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed Heaven and Hell so much. Felder talked a lot about the other guys, and it wasn't just another book about Henley and Frey.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Thanks
    I thought it gave a reasonable amount of coverage to the other Eagles. But as other people have said you will learn precisely nothing that you didn't already know. If you are hoping for more information about the other Eagles that was lacking in other books you will be disappointed.