Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    ..well he might be joking, but I still don't like it...however it seems to me that he always says stuff like this about himself...like he's not the greatest quitar player, and not the greatest singer....he's definately not a boaster or braggar...
    I don't know about 'not the greatest singer'. In Niagara Falls on the second night before YBTTC he said 'I could sing these songs perfectly when I recorded them but I was a lot younger then'. I chose to see that as merely a statement of fact rather than putting himself down. He does praise Don's voice all the time, whereas I can't recall one instance of praise being directed the other way, just as his voice is never praised in books about the band & rarely in reviews.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-19-2011 at 05:47 PM.

I was holding out on getting the Fong-Torres book, but when I went to the B&N bookfair to benefit my kids' school last night, there it was. All shiny and new. With lots of cool pictures ( even if the text is occasionally flawed).

Calling out to me...

I caved. It was for a good cause. Or so I told myself when it was midnight and I was still reading!

I'll add more comments when I finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't know about 'not the greatest singer'. In Niagara Falls on the second night before YBTTC he said 'I could sing these songs perfectly when I recorded them but I was a lot younger then'. I chose to see that as merely a statement of fact rather than putting himself down. He does praise Don's voice all the time, whereas I can't recall one instance of praise being directed the other way, just as his voice is never praised in books about the band & rarely in reviews.

SO TRUE!!!

I just got an E mail from Amazon telling me that my order has been shipped!

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    ..well he might be joking, but I still don't like it...however it seems to me that he always says stuff like this about himself...like he's not the greatest quitar player, and not the greatest singer....he's definately not a boaster or braggar...
    True, GH. I think it has been said here before - he's the king of self deprecation. We know how great he is!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

You got it, Ann. Since he won't do it himself, he needs his fans to do his bragging for him!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - I just broke an Amazon record for myself. As I already posted, I ordered the book on Monday and got an email a few minutes later that the book had been shipped. I got it yesterday (Wednesday) and that was with standard shipping! I scanned it quickly, but don't know when I'll get a chance to read it. Hopefully, it won't be too long.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've been reading some this afternoon. In talking about going to London to record their first album, Don said Glyn Johns was a tyrant and would only give them three chances to do a track or a vocal. (I knew he was very strict with them, but hadn't read this.) He said it was so intimidating and you couldn't help but get emotional. "We even cried a couple times."

Can you imagine? 4 grown guys getting teary eyed and told they were bad?!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Aw, poor guys! They look up to this famous producer Glyn Johns and he pretty much tells them the 1970s British equivalent of "You suck." No wonder tears were shed!

"Sometimes I'm a strong man - sometimes cold and scared... and sometimes, I cry."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Aw, poor guys! They look up to this famous producer Glyn Johns and he pretty much tells them the 1970s British equivalent of "You suck." No wonder tears were shed!

"Sometimes I'm a strong man - sometimes cold and scared... and sometimes, I cry."

Now I have to listen to that song, Soda!!

I had read the same thing in the Laura Jackson book... seems funny when the Eagles are so famous now - and even only a few years after working on their first album they didn't really seem to be lacking in confidence or attitude.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne