Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eagles Go Golfing for Charity

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    Carol-Lynn, This is a golden opportunity. I'm a little nervous about the fact that I don't know how to play golf but the real deal breaker is telling my husband. I just haven't gotten the nerve to mention this to him yet. When I mention the word EAGLES to him he knows that means $$$$$. I live in Northern California so I would probably fly down for this. It would be really great if we could get a foursome to have a real team. Somehow that would make us seem more legit. Sometime tomorrow I will mention this little golfing trip I want to take. God help me!!!! If this really happened and we played golf with the Eagles I would be so tongue-tied I probably would not be able to speak. Sometime I will tell you all about the time I met TBS and opened my mouth and stuck my foot in it. I feel bad about it to this day. Wish me luck tomorrow.
    Good luck with the husband thing. I guess there is an upside to being divorced. You could always bring him along. Even if only the two of us register I'm sure they can team us up with another pair so that should be a non-issue but I'll ask.

Anyway here are the selling points: The ticket is cheap enough and is tax deductible. Clubs will run you $20. Southwest Air is always reasonable if you book well in advance especially if you fly in on a Monday morning and fly into LAX which is fairly close to Fountain Valley. Traffic will be light anytime after 9:00 a.m. (event starts at 11:00 a.m.) Lastly, no need for a hotel room as you should be able to catch an evening flight and be back in NoCal in time for lights-out or a late supper. The dinner BTW is the night before and I don't think the Eagles are showing up for that part BICBW.

And don't worry about playing golf. You hit the ball and hope it goes somewhere near where you want it to and if it doesn't you keep hitting it until it does. You can hit, like Lucy and Ethel, as many "dormies" as you want and no one will care. Lastly, there will be no real walking involved as they are giving us carts and I'm sure they could care less how many holes we play-if we play at all. As long as we pay our $150 we're in and what we do after that is probably no big deal as long as we don't bother anyone. Besides I'm not going to play golf-golf if you know what I mean.

As for the "tongue-tied and twisted" a couple of long tall cool ones will take care of that problem.

Anyway think about it. If I don't hear from them about spectator participation by Tuesday I'm calling them. Will also ask whether or not the Eagles will be at the dinner on Sunday night-again I highly doubt that they will.

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGal

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

My husband is a golfer, I an not. I have a question...if you are playing in your own foursome and tee off an much earlier/later than the guys...will you still be able to see them? Not sure if there us some before after gathering of all the players... Or if it's possible to play the event and not see everyone who is participating.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'll probably call about this on Monday or Tuesday as well. We have found in the past that when you call to get information on these types of events, different people may be given different bits of info, so it's always a good idea for more than one person to call. I'll try to ask any of the questions I see in this thread, and let everyone know what they say. If Carol-Lynn and others that call do the same, maybe we will get a better feel for how the event will be run.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    My husband is a golfer, I an not. I have a question...if you are playing in your own foursome and tee off an much earlier/later than the guys...will you still be able to see them? Not sure if there us some before after gathering of all the players... Or if it's possible to play the event and not see everyone who is participating.
    Well anything is possible. The good news is that the tournie has a "scramble start" which means that every team will play all eighteen holes unlike a "shot-gun start" where teams start on different holes and your chances of seeing an Eagle would not be so good. So yeah for the scramble. Also, from what I read on-line this is how most celeb golf tournies are run. I did see this warning though for the faint of heart:

"Be prepared to spend a long day on the golf course in any scramble tournament. Because all players will be playing all shots from the location of the best previous shot, participants must walk to their ball and pick it up and then bring it to the new location. This takes time. When the scramble has a full field, an 18-hole round that normally takes less than four hours can take nearly seven hours." That being said I doubt that the guys will stay and play for seven hours though. I won't that's for sure. May get a sprained ankle on the second hole. I still have my boot and crunches from when I broke my ankle in Amsterdam five years ago. Don't ask!

As I said earlier, I'm going no matter what since I only live an hour away and don't have to worry about lodging and the like. Again it is a public course (one of two) set in a public park during a normal work-day (except for us retirees) and I doubt that they'll close the entire park just for the event.

When I call on Tuesday, I'll ask them how they plan on "playing" the Eagles and if there will photo-ops and the like. I'm sure, everything will be, "laid back." It's SoCal after all and we invented laid back.

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGal
    Last edited by carol7lynn; 05-15-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Border Desperado

Carol-Lynn, Let us know what you find out on Tues. about how they are going to "play" the Eagles for the golf tournament. I mentioned it to my husband and he was less then enthusiastic....will have to give him a few days before I mention it again. His main thing is he doesn't want me to travel alone. I also need to double-check our vacation in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    Carol-Lynn, Let us know what you find out on Tues. about how they are going to "play" the Eagles for the golf tournament. I mentioned it to my husband and he was less then enthusiastic....will have to give him a few days before I mention it again. His main thing is he doesn't want me to travel alone. I also need to double-check our vacation in July.
    Didn't have a chance to call anyone until 4:30 p.m. yesterday. Lisa's phone just rang and rang and I did get Cynthia but she was driving on the freeway and she asked me to call her back in fifteen-California style. Didn't have time last night as I was going out to dinner but will try again today. Wish me luck ladies.

I'm so hoping they allow spectators as I found out yesterday Lindsey Buckingham is starting to schedule dates for his fall tour and I want to go to as many SoCal shows as possible. Although he keeps his prices reasonable that $150 plus for the golf tournie could buy me two Lindsey shows. BTW Lindsey's touring around the same time as Henley (late September-October)-maybe they'll team up and call it the "I Loved Stevie Tour and She Rocks!"

Stay Tuned!

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGal

I finally got Cyndi on the phone. Yeah!-Well, the news is bad-bad-bad.
    Long story short-save your money.

Here's the low-down.

Someone made a mistake on the registration form. There will be a shot-gun start-not a scramble start which means that everyone tees off from different holes. With 18 holes and 36 teams too many degrees of separation for me.

The Eagles are playing as a group and the other sponsors (The Eagles are a corporate sponsor.) will play before and after them.

Lastly, the Eagles may or may not attend the dinner which is scheduled to start around 6:00 p.m. The good news is the dinner is golf attire but too many maybes for me to pony up even $60 for the dinner.

I'm going to save my money for Vegas and hope they add some SoCal dates before or after Vegas. Oh, well it was nice while it lasted.

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGal

Ugh - I was afraid of that. Well, thanks for investigating.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Eagles Go Golfing for Charity

Could be bad news on this golfing event. Browsing FB this morning I came across a post there via L & M's Fastlane about the guys maybe not now taking part.

Golfing with the Eagles...nope

For those of you who expressed interest in attending the Eagles golf event in Fountain Valley, CA, you may want to call the organizers and reconfirm. All mention of the band appearing there has been removed from the event page.
    Anyone who has signed up or was interested might want to check it out.
    Melanie