Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling
    Does that mean you admit Keith is hot?
    I think he's hot.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh EF - there is no question about it - I think Keith is very hot! However, I am still not very familiar with his music. I may like it if I would take the time to listen to it, but I am generally not a fan of country music. I know some of you have said his music is borderline country, so I may like it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Dreamer, trust me, I do also not like country music. If you get the chance you should listen to the live songs.
    Ok, this is the wrong thread and I will go to the Keith thread to write more.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks Dreamer for bringing this topic to my attention -but you will all be sorry once I get started...First want to say I just scanned the first couple of pages and LOVED the stories (brings back lots of memories for me also) I do plan on reading the rest also.
    DF-your story really touched me! I was close to tears reading it-my father recently died of cancer also-I have said it before here, the Eagles literally helped get me thru it--A LOT of Eagles music was played on many long trips back and forth to my parents home and hospitals, and no matter how horrible it got, they always seemed to make me feel a little better!

I remember hearing my first Eagles song when I was about 10, probably '72 or'73 and it was Take It Easy I believe. I always loved music and it has and always will be a BIG part of my life and has gotten me thru a lot of things in my life, but I remember very well hearing it and thinking WOW-I love that song! That weeks allowance went for the 45 and within a couple of weeks had the Eagles album. From then on it was Eagles this and Eagles that, not any one of the guys either. I was also a Led head/Jimmy Page fan, still am. I also remember a couple years later another band I heard that I have also retained a love for and that was Sweet, I am a member of that board also. For those of you here in the US, you probably don't know much about them other than "Ballroom Blitz", Fox On The Run" or "Little Willy" (that song made my life miserable in the 4th grade), but those of you overseas, the UK, probably remember them quite well. At that point in my life I was on a mission to find everything I could about the Eagles and Sweet. Not very easy with Sweet in the USA so I think that is why the Eagles took over in my life!

I remember the day my cousin called, I believe in '74 or '75, and told me the Eagles were coming to town and we were going. I was so excited till my parents informed me that at the age of 12 I was to young to go to a rock concert. Some of you have heard this story before but for those of you that haven't, 6 months after that they let me go to an Aerosmith, AC/DC concert. They were completely clueless!

Another real memory for me is when Bernie left and Joe entered. That is when I found myself liking one member more than the others. I thought Joe was it!!! I turned my cousin onto his solo stuff and I remember a vacation to a theme park with her parents that we played "Life's Been Good" over and over again until they finally made us turn it off! Then when Randy left and Timothy joined --oh my God-I was lost!!! I literally bought 3 copies of Long Run because I played I Cant Tell You Why so many times that the albums would start skipping there so I would have to go buy a new one! I was so upset when they broke up because he had just joined and I felt I had been really cheated. I followed all of their solo stuff in the 80's but nothing quite compared to them all together!!

Enter the 80's--Yikes!!! Still played the Eagles but also fell into the Hair Band phase. Lots of Guns N Roses and Skid Row. Sorry if that makes anyone sick. Still big Guns fan and will listen to Hair Bands any time!! What can I say-I am very versatile in my music taste. By this time all my Eagles albums had turned into cds. My husband and I were married in '88 and fortunately he liked the Eagles and Zeppelin so I kept him. We started our family in '90 and of course that took over. Fortunately, my daughter has become a big fan also and we very often hear her Ipod playing an Eagles tune. My son admitted the other day that he is kinda getting into the 70s glam rock thing and would like to hear some of my Sweet stuff-so maybe there is hope for teenagers after all!! At least the ones that grew up listening to the music in my house!!!

I remember one night mid 90s sitting in the living room flipping channels and sitting straight up off the couch when PBS came on because there in front of me again were the Eagles!! They were showing HFO and I went crazy! I went out shortly after that and bought the cd and dvd. And it kinda started all over again. Same thing with Farewell! I was back to buying cds and dvds again. Was excited when Selected Works came out but like my husband said "how many cd's do you have to have the same songs over and over on".

Was very excited when they started touring again in '04 and bought tickets for a show close (only $35.00 believe it or not!) but 3 days before the show, my father was diagnosed with cancer once again and this time terminal. Needless to say, I didn't feel much like celebrating with a concert, so once again missed a concert and gave the tickets to my niece and her husband. He made it thru it again and then in June of '07 was diagnosed again terminally and only given 2 weeks to 2 months to live-he made it 6 months. Thru each of his illnesses I was making trips back and forth (my parents live 45 minutes one way away from us and my mother doesn't drive) so many many hours of Eagles, I am surprised that I haven't had to replace them all after wearing them out. My husband bought me an Ipod for Christmas so I no longer have to take stacks of them.

As many of you know, my husband and I will be celebrating 20 years of wedded bliss in October and he decided there was nothing that I would like more than Eagles tickets and a night in Chicago. I posted it before but will again, I told my husband I wished I knew what hotel they would be staying in and always quick on his toes he says "I was kinda hoping you would be going back to the hotel with me that night!" What a smart *ss he is!! We bought the tickets off ebay for the Chicago show Sept 24th a couple of days ago. Come hell or high water- I plan on finally seeing them!!! And God help Timothy if I get anywhere close to him!!!! My poor Larry might regret the day he told me he was taking me to finally see them.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

What a great story, TBF! I enjoyed reading it. Not sorry at all!

I'm so glad you are finally getting to see America's greatest band!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Awww, what a wonderful story, TBF! I loved reading it! I loved the bit about "keeping" your husband when you discovered he was also into the Eagles and Led Zeppelin!

As I said before in another thread, I hope your dream comes true this time. You've been through a lot, and you deserve it! You GO girl! I hope Timothy gets to see you!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

TBF – thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It was awesome. I just love reading these because even though we all share a common love for this band, each of us arrived here in a totally unique way. We are all rooting for you to get to that the show in Chicago. And maybe you can make a deal with hubby over the hotel thing.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

That was a great read, TBF. It really is wonderful how the Eagles music can help us get through rough times (so sorry to hear about your dad) and bring people together from all over the world.

Also, it's terrific that finally, you and your hubby can get to see the guys live!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for sharing your story, TBF, and for your sweet comments about mine. I am sorry you lost your father too--the loss leaves a hole in your heart that will never be filled--but music definitely eases the sorrow and brings back the joy!

I am so glad you are finally going to have your first-time live Eagles experience. I know it will be fabulous!

Well they were my mom's favorite band according to my family i was probaly singing Hotel California in the womb. Their tape was always in the car and i knew every word wheni was like 3. When i was about 5 i still like them but had moved on. Then when i was about ten i started guitar and my first song was Hotel California. From then on thats about all i listen to. And my favorite was Don since i was little i had a poster of him on my wall forever. and The Eagles were my first vinyl buy along with a Joe Walsh and A Don Henley album. My friends think im razy but i can't help it i just love them.
    Any kind of love without passion
    That ain't no kind of lovin' at all