Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Don's new album(s) in progress

Default Re: Press and Discussion about Don's new album(s)

I hope he keeps the Eagles material to a minimum and spends most of the album on other country covers and his original songs. The idea of a "solo" Seven Bridges Road with various country singers standing in place of the other Eagles on the harmonies makes me cringe, but I keep telling myself that I need to listen to the album before making judgments.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Just getting caught up here. I probably shouldn't even give my opinion because, as I've already said, I most likely won't buy this country album anyways even tho it is Don. But I have to ask, what is he thinking when deciding to remake Eagles songs? Huh? I get that they put them in their solo shows but to actually rerecord them for an album seems a bit over the top. There isn't enough other country songs out there that he could do.

I'm still awaiting patiently for the soul album. I really think Don's voice just screams soul music. My opinion, of course.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

FP
    I could also have taken that attitude about Glenn. I chose to focus on how good the material was going to be as a showcase for his voice & his interpretation skills.
    Glenn's album was different, as it focused on oldies & it had a theme. To add new material to that would have just been taking it off track, so I don't blame him for keeping the oldies remake theme & not putting new songs on it.

With Don, I guess he's going for a country theme, but I don't know what that's all about, so I guess we'll see what it is when he releases it.

I'm with TBF, I may just wait for Don's soul album, as I am not really a country music fan anyway!

Glenn does have one original song on After Hours - the title track - and I'd like for him to put out more, but I can understand why he didn't for that particular album. However, in the future, I hope he gives us some more of his own material. He and Don Henley are on par with any of the songwriters they're covering.

Don has done some country-flavored material before and done well with it. There's the obvious country-rock from the Eagles that he's done and the country duets with the likes of Reba and Trisha Yearwood, but in addition to that, you can find a bit of country in his solo work. There's "You're Not Drinking Enough" (the most country song he's ever done solo, IMHO), "Talking to the Moon" (my personal fave), "You Better Hang Up", "Long Way Home," and "Lilah" for instance, plus the only song he ever wrote alone: "A Month of Sundays." ("For My Wedding" was marketed as country, but I think it's more of a generic slow song.) I imagine the new material will be along those lines.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Soda, Yes, I forgot that "After Hours' is new, but I didn't get this album because I'm just not into these old songs. It's just not my thing.

As for Don, yes, your right the songs you mention are pretty country. I like Don with more of the R&B style, but I guess I'll wait to see what he puts out there on the new album before I judge it! Right now, we don't know when, but hopefully soon. Maybe he will get it out by Christmas. That would be a nice gift for any Henley fan!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Soda, Yes, I forgot that "After Hours' is new, but I didn't get this album because I'm just not into these old songs. It's just not my thing.

As for Don, yes, your right the songs you mention are pretty country. I like Don with more of the R&B style, but I guess I'll wait to see what he puts out there on the new album before I judge it! Right now, we don't know when, but hopefully soon. Maybe he will get it out by Christmas. That would be a nice gift for any Henley fan!
    The song After Hours was written in 1984.

I dont' wish to get off track but it seems a shame that you apparently pre-judged the After Hours album without even listening to it. They are old songs but they are new interpretations - with Glenn's voice. If even that holds no interest for you then there is nothing else to say, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The song After Hours was written in 1984.

I dont' wish to get off track but it seems a shame that you apparently pre-judged the After Hours album without even listening to it. They are old songs but they are new interpretations - with Glenn's voice. If even that holds no interest for you then there is nothing else to say, I suppose.
    FP, I did hear the album, but like I said I am just not into this music, even if Glenn is singing it. He does a fine job with the songs, but I'm not in love with it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is fair enough, TK. And as far as prejudging forthcoming releases, don't we do that all the time on this board? I think many of us have speculated and prejudged all of the guys albums just as we have also been doing with the upcoming DVDs and Eagles musical.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    That is fair enough, TK. And as far as prejudging forthcoming releases, don't we do that all the time on this board? I think many of us have speculated and prejudged all of the guys albums just as we have also been doing with the upcoming DVDs and Eagles musical.
    I disagree, I'm afraid. I may speculate, but I don't believe I can prejudge. How is that possible?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I for one am completely happy that he's releasing an album of country music!! While I am unsure about covers of things like Seven Bridges Road, I expect I will simply love this album. My second favorite voice singing songs I'll probably love. Without sequins and fringes. I'm looking forward to the album and the tour.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.