Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

I figured that you would be delighted to read that, FP .

For me, I want to know more about the transition from drummer to lead singer/drummer. How he felt about going from the back behind Peter to now having the spotlight on himself. I also would like to know more about how he became interested in music and playing the drums.

I didn't know about the other book he wrote. I might have to check into that.

If the book is labeled a tell all, then I Don't Care Anymore does sound appropriate.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I figured that you would be delighted to read that, FP .

For me, I want to know more about the transition from drummer to lead singer/drummer. How he felt about going from the back behind Peter to now having the spotlight on himself. I also would like to know more about how he became interested in music and playing the drums.

I didn't know about the other book he wrote. I might have to check into that.

If the book is labeled a tell all, then I Don't Care Anymore does sound appropriate.
    I was joking. Given that song is from the second solo album where he was still pouring out his bitterness at the end of his marriage I think it's highly unlikely he'd use it, especially because by now, probably only hardcores know it. He will probably call lit something anodyne like Against All Odds.

I Don't Care Anymore is somewhat popular here. I've heard it on the radio alot. After In The Air Tonight and maybe Easy Lover, it's the most played Phil solo song on my local stations. That drum beat is instantly recognizable, and it gets your attention.

Against All Odds would be a good title, I think. Of course, he could forgo naming the book after one of his songs, and name it something really generic like Phil Collins: my life in music.

Now I'm ready for this time next year to already be here. Lol
    -Kim-

Banned

The Phil Collins song I hear most on the radio would be the ultra poppyTwo Hearts.

The story of how Phil became Genesis lead singer has been oft told. I'm sure it'll be in his book but here goes.

When Peter announced to the band that he was leaving, they were worried that the press would declare the band, finished, so Peter agreed not to publicly announce the news until the the band were ready to release their first Gabrieless album.

The band set to work on Trick Of The Tail and finding a replacement vocalist.
    Phil provided guide vocals for a whole procession of prospective vocalists. As the search dragged on unsuccessfully, the band talked Phil into singing one or two tracks on the album, as the, Gabriel is quitting Genesis, news leaked out, the band hurriedly finished Trick Of The Tail with Phil providing all the vocals.
    This also explains the inclusion of the Los Endos medley. The band were still a track short so they made a medley of all the other songs to complete the album.

With the album out and still no lead singer, Phil agreed to take over from Gabriel on stage too, as long as he would still be the Genesis drummer. Phil's drumming pal, Bill Bruford offered to help out on stage while Phil was up front singing. Chester Thompson became the permanent Genesis live drummer shortly after.

Phil even adopted Peter's multilingual track introductions, even though he didn't speak any languages apart from English.

Towards the end of the seventies, Phil was experiencing. long distance marriage difficulties. so the band took a hiatus to give Phil time to try and patch up his relationship with his wife. Mike and Tony made solo albums, Phil's marriage couldn't be saved so he ended up sad, lonely and depressed. He spent his time alone in his newly acquired home studio.

When Genesis regrouped to make Duke Phil, for the first time, brought some completed songs to the table. He'd demo'd a whole bunch of songs inspired by the break-up of his marriage. Genesis adopted Misunderstanding and Please Don't Ask. Phil's solo career was built on the others.

The "Phil Collins divorces wife by fax" story was a tabloid headline that really upset Phil.
    He'd been a fabulous ambassador for the country, all over the world, for many years but he became known as the guy that dumped his wife by text. The context and validity of the story was unimportant, it was the headline that stuck.

I haven't bought a book since Joe Vitale's Backstage Pass. I'll definitely buy Phil's book. He's had an amazing career. I just hope that there is still a positive chapter or two, in front of him.

I wasn't talking about the story of him becoming lead singer/songwriter. I'm interested in reading what it was like for him on a personal level. Obviously, Face Value is very personal and speaks for the years 1980/1981. However, I'm talking about wanting to know how he felt and dealt with becoming the lead singer. The Genesis autobiography told the story very plainly. I'm interested in reading about the story and transition from Phil's prospective.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

I don't mind people naming their books after song titles, but I hate chapter titles that are song titles. If they actually have something to do with the text, I guess it's ok, but if the connection's very vague or doesn't exist at all, I'd rather have titles that actually describe the content of the chapters.

I just love Phil Collins and Genesis!! They are wonderful and love Follow You/Follow Me!! He is so awesome
    Don't Close Your Heart

Banned

Awesome news!

Phil Collins returns: “I am no longer retired”

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...onger-retired/

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Awesome news!

Phil Collins returns: “I am no longer retired”

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/1...onger-retired/
    That's incredible news!

I don’t think I want a very long tour,” admitted Collins. “But I would like to play the stadiums in Australia and the Far East, and that’s the only way to do that.
    I know a certain Australian who will be happy reading that! (Let's hope it's more than just talk)
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Great news about Phil. It's just a shame that he can't play drums anymore. More people should see that side of him. There must be tons of people who hate him because of his ballads, who don't know that he was a fantastic drummer.