Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Banned

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

Chaim, I'll wager that you haven't seen Salisbury Hill live. It's always a joyous experience to behold but I loved the single from the off, with Peter on flute. I prefer the solo piano version of Here Comes The Flood. Biko is a mighty anti apartheid anthem. Have you discovered the majesty of San Jacinto yet?

I've loved all Peter's post So albums. I bought them as soon as they came out. I'm lucky enough to have a number of Genesis fans in my family. Between us, we got practically everything they released, except poor old Tony's solo albums. Nobody volunteered.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm aware that I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't care for Solsbury Hill. I still don't understand what makes it so great, but it's great that people like it. My favorites on that fist album are Humdrum and Here Comes The Flood (which Ezrin ruined, as far as Peter's concerned, with production).

The ballads on the second album are great.

On the 3rd album my favorites are Intruder and No Self Control. Again, I don't care for the most popular song, Biko.

I'm sure that I'm the only person on the planet whose favorite song on Us is We Do What We're Told.

Up is a fantastic album. Darkness, My Head Sounds Like That and Signal To Noise, and possible Sky Blue, are the highlights for me. It seems to me that Peter was starting to face his own mortality on this album and to find solace in spirituality, because our bodies won't last. Some of the lyrics seem to say that we won't die when our body dies.
    We Do What We're Told is from So! I like it too!

Why is Solsbury Hill great? How can you not listen to that acoustic guitar intro & just instantly have a huge smile on your face? Then you listen to it... the huge feeling of liberation you get from it. I don't know yet, but I think maybe Part of the Scenery might be a good user name.

I really should stop all this & go & join. I have to say though it is filling a void while Mr Frey is invisible (please, no puns on that word...)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Chaim, I'll wager that you haven't seen Salisbury Hill live.
    Who peformed Salisbury Hill? My favourite performance of Solsbury Hill is by a local busker. Just the man, his voice and a guitar and it shows how good a song it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfpCqbCgnKQ

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    We Do What We're Told is from So! I like it too!

Why is Solsbury Hill great? How can you not listen to that acoustic guitar intro & just instantly have a huge smile on your face? Then you listen to it... the huge feeling of liberation you get from it. I don't know yet, but I think maybe Part of the Scenery might be a good user name.

I really should stop all this & go & join. I have to say though it is filling a void while Mr Frey is invisible (please, no puns on that word...)
    Oh, that was a typo (my fingers didn't know what they were doing), although an embarrassing one. Having said that, I have to admit that when it comes to Up and Us, I never seem to remember which one is which.

Solsbury Hill does have an uplifting quality, but to me it's just another song, nothig special.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Chaim, I'll wager that you haven't seen Salisbury Hill live. It's always a joyous experience to behold but I loved the single from the off, with Peter on flute. I prefer the solo piano version of Here Comes The Flood. Biko is a mighty anti apartheid anthem. Have you discovered the majesty of San Jacinto yet?

I've loved all Peter's post So albums. I bought them as soon as they came out. I'm lucky enough to have a number of Genesis fans in my family. Between us, we got practically everything they released, except poor old Tony's solo albums. Nobody volunteered.
    I've seen a live version where, I think, Peter was riding a bicycle. I mean, it's a nice song, but I don't get what makes it so special.

I appreciate Biko's message, but musically it does nothing for me.

Peter's fourth album still hasn't grabbed me. I have waited for the opportunity to buy it from some second hand store, since I don't want to pay the price of a new CD. I will give it another chance at some point.

Banned

The cycle thing was a bit of an aberration. Here's Peter, ably assisted by David Rhodes and Tony Levin, showing what a joyous, uplifting experience Salisbury Hill, is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpePvu3A_UM

Genesis played Salisbury Hill once during the 1982, Six Of The Best reunion concert to help Peter pay off his Womad debts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_of_the_Best

Set list
    01 Back in N.Y.C.
    02 Dancing with the Moonlit Knight / The Carpet Crawl
    03 Firth of Fifth
    04 The Musical Box
    05 Solsbury Hill
    06 Turn It On Again (vocals: Phil Collins; drums: Peter Gabriel)
    07 The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    08 Fly on a Windshield
    09 Broadway Melody of 1974
    10 In the Cage
    11 Supper's Ready
    encore
    12 I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (guitar: Steve Hackett)
    13 The Knife (guitar: Steve Hackett)

Only 13 tracks but 2 hours long.

Mike Rutherford spoke about it earlier this year; https://www.teamrock.com/news/2015-0...l-reunion-1982

Here's all six speaking before the event; http://www.genesismuseum.com/6otb.htm

Stuck on the Border

Funk, it's called Solsbury Hill. It's a place near Bath where Peter lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solsbury_Hill_(song)

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I appreciate this is going off at a bit of a tangent but I thought I'd share this Top Gear clip I've found featuring Genesis.

Jeremy Clarkson is a huge fan of Genesis and he added a piece about the Selling England By The Pound album to one of the box sets (I think it was from about 2008?). Richard Hammond, however, hates Genesis and especially dislikes 'I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)'. As a result in this clip from the Top Gear India Special (Series 17), Clarkson blares out the song from a loudspeaker on his car to 'cheer up' Hammond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRzLquFQZ-8

The version used is I think the 1977 Seconds Out live recording. Hammond's extreme reaction to the song has me in stitches every time (especially 0:16-0:21)!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Phil Collins was the answer to a Jeopardy question last night.

The category was "Hairless Bands". Each correct response had to be the name of the bald person within the band.

The clue was (I'm paraphrasing): "The guy sang "always the same, it's just a shame, that's all" with his band Genesis.

I literally yelled the answer to the tv. Like Alex Trebek can hear me. Lol
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Phil Collins was the answer to a Jeopardy question last night.

The category was "Hairless Bands". Each correct response had to be the name of the bald person within the band.

The clue was (I'm paraphrasing): "The guy sang "always the same, it's just a shame, that's all" with his band Genesis.

I literally yelled the answer to the tv. Like Alex Trebek can hear me. Lol
    Love it & I'm so glad that particular song was used as the clue rather than something obvious like Invisible Touch.

Of course Peter is bald too now...